Where does my data go?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

Where does my data go?

Several months ago I installed a new router on my network as the old Netgear was getting a little flakey.

I replaced it with an Asus model that has a number of useful features for those of us on capped internet services.

A few days ago I finally got around to charging up the wife's seldom used ipad and keying in the wireless passkey for it. It has not been touched since but was left to the default "hibernate" mode.

Again, it has not been touched since. Today I was looking around in the routers internal displays and was kind of surprised by the shear number of places that the ipad visited  on its own while in a blissful state of hibernation.

(Click on picture for larger image)

Question?:

Do you know  what your devices are doing while they appear to be "off"?

It looks like the wife's ipad was rather busy this morning.

It didn't (as yet) use much data (shown in detail in another screen) but there sure were a number of functions that made connections.

I'm a big proponent of using Glasswire to keep track of what is running a given computer but it will only report on the computer on which it is installed. Multiple computers require separate installations on each Windows based computer however usage by other wireless "devices" would not register.

I would encourage all of us on data capped ISP's to upgrade to a brand and model of router that allows tracking of all networked devices right at the central point of the network .. the router itself.

It is entirely possible that your current router has some of these features .... get to know your router!

It holds the keys to your "network kingdom". See if your router offers traffic tracking by device and perhaps even a "security assessment" utility.

Having a data capped ISP means that every bit & byte is precious.....

Users have to become more knowledgeable and involved  in their understanding of their computers, routers and all connected devices but it all starts with understanding the "connection paths" that exist in your network.

You don't have to become an expert, there are software tools and router options that will do the "work" for you but YOU need to be aware of the ways that your limited data can be used, how to measure it and ultimately how to control it.

Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2215 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
Hi Gwalk900,  Thank you for your insight.  It is very much appreciated!