What’s the difference between the freedom 150 plan and the unlimited plan if you are going to be throttled at 150 either way?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
I got the freedom 150 plan when it was available and was planning to get unlimited. However the description says you get throttled at 150 so if it’s throttled at 150 eitger way what am I paying an extra $40 for?
Photo of Charlie

• 23 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
  • indifferent

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 476 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
well by that means... once you get past the 150gbs onto the unlimited plan... youll be still able to like do stuff but yet... when there is like a network congestion OR during the peek hours... your speeds WILL be decresed... once youve surpassed the 150gbs of the unlimited data plan... but once when its passed the network congestion and peek hours... your speeds will be back to normal :D even when you DO surpass the 150gbs... :D do ya kinda get where imma coming from??? if not then... someone else might be able to explain it better than me :D
Photo of Charlie

• 23 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yeah makes sense. I misunderstood deprioritise with throttling. I’ve switched since figuring that out
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1552 Posts
  • 1212 Reply Likes
The freedom 150gig is going to be a very hard cap, your speeds will drop dramatically.  The unlimited plans are supposed to be reasonably high after you go over 150gigs, taking in congestion and such. .... Hi Deku!!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2683 Posts
  • 848 Reply Likes
I think the above replies are definitely a good explanation of these new plans vs a Freedom Plan. The biggest difference is that Freedom gives you a hard cap, the Unlimited won't. In addition there's not a speed range like on Liberty Pass, you'll be at priority speeds afterwards and only slowed if needed during the busier times on the network which is not unlike what DSL and Cable does. 

It's not as big of a carrot for someone on the Freedom plan as it is for someone that could get a 25GB plan at best but I'd say if you routinely go over your Freedom limit, you might enjoy the extra data. If you stream and 720p is just fine you can probably benefit from the plan.

The throttling is a big *IF* and that would depend where you live and how busy your beam is. Most reports I've seen since the plans went live last weekend is that speeds weren't slowed after 150 and one gentleman said he only saw it after 243GB and it was just for 2 hours before restoring to normal speeds.
Photo of Barry Paepcke

Barry Paepcke

• 90 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I made a post to this after going over 150gb I was basically shut down once in a great while I would see speed above 4gb I am on the silver unlimited plan
Photo of fmj77

• 84 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Unlimited Silver is the only new plan available on my beam, but it's $150 per month. Too steep for me considering I'm currently on the Freedom plan for $100. I think I'll wait till Viasat 2 is online before I make any other changes.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2677 Posts
  • 845 Reply Likes
Rique and Gwalk are both correct. Some of our more loaded beams are likely seeing a price difference as the supply and demand for that area as prices and plans are dependent on the area you are in. 

I can see the frustration but please note that this is a ramp-up to ViaSat 2 so if this is something you don't want to do or feel is too steep, ViaSat 2 is just a few months away and you may see different plans and prices when that hits. 
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 468 Reply Likes

"No need to attack Rique"

Attack? There was no attack.

There was a statement of fact that market conditions affect pricing.

A gallon of gasoline in LA is priced vastly different than the same gallon/brand somewhere in say, Texas.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1227 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
Are we talking about Louisiana or Los Angeles?  Because gas in Louisiana and Texas are similarly priced.  Gas in Los Angeles and Texas are priced a whole lot differently.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2622 Posts
  • 1041 Reply Likes
I'm assuming Shaky LA here because, yes Mardi Gras LA and Texas are very close (well maybe not at Valero - those are 5 cents or more different in Texarka, TX vs. Shreveport, LA but generally most place are within a penny or two in both states.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 468 Reply Likes
In answer, Los Angeles.