VS2

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
Is VS2 worth the extra $$ a month and is it really a Ferrari compared to a Beetle ( techs words) when it comes to speed? I am currently using Amazon firestick with Netflix and other apps for TV. Currently in constant buffering mode with slow speeds. Dealing with this for 3-4 weeks now. Upgraded router and tech said I needed to upgrade to the VS2... along with every single rep I have spoken with in the last few weeks. Need some feedback!!
Photo of Denden70

Denden70

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • undecided

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 175 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I don't know if there is any new news, but my understanding is if your particular service would be on a small beam on VS2, then it is well worth it. If your service is on the big beam, not worth it. I was told when you call VS, they can tell you which beam you have access to.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
What plans are available for you?
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I was forced to take a diff plan when I moved,.was on the 150 mg a month for 125 now I'm told I have no choice and now pay 150 for 100 mg month......i argued with then that I did not want to change as my old plan was doing me just fine especially with the video extender, but was told no one can have that plan e only reason I was left keep it was the grandfather clause...so alas I am now I'm on vs2
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I was forced to take a diff plan when I moved,.was on the 150 mg a month for 125 now I'm told I have no choice and now pay 150 for 100 mg month......i argued with then that I did not want to change as my old plan was doing me just fine especially with the video extender, but was told no one can have that plan e only reason I was left keep it was the grandfather clause...so alas I am now I'm on vs2
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2116 Posts
  • 1849 Reply Likes
Done!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3695 Posts
  • 3712 Reply Likes
You look taller and paler!
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2116 Posts
  • 1849 Reply Likes
I'm at work, I'll get the little bugger back when I get home.

#FREEANDY
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
You guys kill me LOL!!!

I appreciate the fact that y'all realize I'm here to help. Even the other Council members have commented to me that I am at times a "strong cup of coffee" but they know that I won't sugar coat anything and I take my responsibility seriously and always attempt to "bring things to the table". 

In a line from one of my favorite movies "I will only speak the truth and when you would not hear it, you must ask me nothing"

Andy
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
You guys kill me LOL!!!

I appreciate the fact that y'all realize I'm here to help. Even the other Council members have commented to me that I am at times a "strong cup of coffee" but they know that I won't sugar coat anything and I take my responsibility seriously and always attempt to "bring things to the table". 

In a line from one of my favorite movies "I will only speak the truth and when you would not hear it, you must ask me nothing"

Andy
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Gold 50?
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Gold 50
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Frankly I'm ready to tell them to go pound sand and change my bank info and send equipment back...screw their 24 month contract that I had to re enter ill. Use my mobile hot spot I get unlimited data with no caps for 75 a month
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 392 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
I may do same since 2 and half years of terrible service is proof they can't get their crap together, save money and faster speeds.
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
See what they are seeing is the same thing that happened with prepaid phone service in in the beginning they were the only ones Verizon service available so they figured they could Corner the market and charge whatever they want it do whatever they wanted then all of a sudden companies like straight talk popped up and now they're offering unlimited everything for $45 a month well the only way that they could stop losing their customer base was to start being competitive so they started coming up with different plans to make a competitive and then get some of that customer base back but the old saying is true be careful who you shit on on your way up the ladder because you're going to meet them on the way back down and that's possibly what's going to happen with ViaSat
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 252 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Per Verizon: $75 unlimited data, talk & text to the US, Mexico, and Canada. Unlimited text to over 200 international destinations including Mexico, Canada and Puerto Rico** **Mobile hotspot/tethering speeds up to 600kbps. You must have sufficient account balance at time of renewal to cover the monthly access to use the service.
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I've had that plan for a while now
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 252 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
How can you deal with 600 kbps???
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Sounds like a plan.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
To the OP. First, what plans are available to you? Some plans on Viasat-2 are no better, and in some respects, worse. Second, you will always have potential buffering issues because of the video downgrader. Viasat is going to throttle your speeds when watching video on Viasat-2. If you ate on the Silver or Bronze we are talking beĺow HD video quality. And the downgrader doesnt always work the best, and that can lead to buffering regardless.

So gather your information, and make an informed decision.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 81 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I'm on the same plan I've been on for a year and I am in data restriction right now, and I can stream anything, except Netflix, with no problem. I have Roku TVs throughout the house, and Netflix is the only streaming platform that buffers. When I haven't used up my data I am more prone to be frugal, but right now I have two televisions on and two computers are online as is my phone with wifi calling turned on, and I'm streaming a movie on HBO via Hulu, and joining in this conversation.

It depends on your location first and foremost, and congestion on your beam, not to mention your installation. I'm in rural Mississippi and internet is available all around me but not here, so I'm obviously in a great spot.  I don't know anyone that has satellite internet around here, except me. Location Location Location! 
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
all I did was move to a different residence in the same county not 15 miles away from my old home I did not want to change the plan I did not want to cancel the contract all I wanted to do was take advantage of the customer care of relocated free location because I'm an easy Care customer not three weeks before this they contacted me and tried to talk me into taking the switching over to this new satellite that they put up which supposedly had phenomenal download speeds and that the plant they tried to tell me that it was an upgrade and to what I had I'm sorry but when I heard that instead of I immediately turned them down and kept my old plan then what I moved I was given note choice I was given an ultimatum of taking this plan or something lower not even close to being comprable to what I had already been paying for and then I was definitely going to pay more money because the download speeds was so high-end that that in itself was an upgrade when they couldn't even guarantee with the old plan the speeds of 25 megabytes per hour how is that an upgrade they couldn't even meet their old standards now they're telling me they're higher and they're going to be at the upgrade when running speed test on the old package on the old plan speeds came up to 5 6 7 10 at the most that's not even close to 25 now they're telling me they're even higher I'm sorry but if they can't get close to 25 how the hell are they going to get any closer to like 50 or 60 their entire logic and putting the second satellite up is because they oversold my business on the old satellite now with the extra traffic on the satellite is bogging it down in the download speeds are dropping now they expect wildest to put this new one up do you get everybody over there yeah the speeds will be a bit higher for now but not whenever they oversell this one
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 81 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
The point I was making is, even if you only move 2 houses down the street, the plan you had might not still be available, especially if you've been on it a while. I own my home and I have no mortgage and I had no plan to ever move so my situation is different, and my speeds are often above 30 mbps and I have decent speeds in data restriction, so there is no way they could sell me on a change of any kind.

I just added Redbox on Demand to my 4K 50" Roku and rented a movie and it is buffering a little, like Netflix, but it is a beta program and it is a Saturday, and I'm two rooms away from the WiFi modem, so I'm going to kill some of these other devices that are connected so I can enjoy this film without interruption, but it's rare that I have to do that.

I'm sorry your experience hasn't been favorable and you're not happy.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1715 Reply Likes
stan, I have live at the same house for 46 years now. As privatejordy has written above, the contract you agreed to when you enrolled in Viasat clearly states those conditions, moving will require a new 24 month commitment, and that you can only get a plan that is currently available at the time of the move. Same goes for going into hibernation, as far as getting your old plan back, you must accept only plans currently available when you reactivate your service.

Understand your contract before shooting flaming arrows at Viasat.
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yes of course how rude and insolent I am for stating my discontent on a situation where I feel that it was definitely and most certainly I dealt with in the right in a in a proper manner I should be ashamed all hail ViaSat long may you dominate the Internet satellite industry and that will be the last time that you will hear from me on this matter because I will no longer allow this company to bend me over
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 81 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Following up on the Redbox On Demand Beta. Use another streaming platform because they don't have it together yet. At speeds of over 33 mbps at 3:15 AM Central time, it was buffering worse than Netflix during a thunderstorm! I aborted and watched a movie on HBO via Hulu with no issues whatsoever. I used the 99CENT promo code and only paid a buck, and I got through it, with bathroom breaks built in, so lesson learned. At least I didn't pay $4.99 or even more for HD.

Just passing that tidbit of information along.

PS And the volume was way low!
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 81 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
There are many in this forum that have changed over and they are regretting it, so it is wise to inquire.  
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 392 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
You will be sorry
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 81 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Plans change all the time, what is available today might not be available next Tuesday.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 252 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
If you were only getting 500kb on weekends like I was on beam 328 then it’s well worth the switch to VS2.
Photo of stan crawford

stan crawford

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Everyone's situation diff and I been with Verizon for 5 years have e 75 unlimited now
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
VS2 is great when it works but it has been very unstable the past 2 months.  I don't know what changed but there are frequent unexplained outages.
Photo of michael3245

michael3245

• 72 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
So did they over load the new bird
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3215 Posts
  • 1844 Reply Likes
No. But they have had a lot of issues with it. To say the Viasat-2 roll out was smooth would be an overstatement.
Photo of Owen Lars

Owen Lars

• 12 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Honestly, the continuous daily outages are the worst part of it. I'm only just back online after one this AM that lasted about 20 mins, and other shorter one. If you're just occasionally checking your emails or looking things up online, probably not an issue, but if you work remotely, it can be very frustrating, particularly for the premium prices.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
agree. we have a tech coming out tomorrow. i'm not optimistic but my wife insisted. we are both trying to use it for working remotely as well.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Owen, where are you located? Your issues sound identical to mine.  I'm in the mountains southwest of Denver.
Photo of Owen Lars

Owen Lars

• 12 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
FWIW - I'm on VS2, 150 Plat plan. It's so-so. During the day, speeds can be as high as 110Mbit. That falls off very quickly as the day progresses. Evenings I get in the .5 - 1Mbit range generally. Sometimes streaming will work, but not without buffering. Speeds improve gradually as it gets later. We also see 1-2 outages per day - modem light turns red/purple and takes about 30 mins to get back online. Not worth the cost, it's already pretty hosed. Same situation before and after hitting the 150MB soft data cap.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 751 Reply Likes
Posts like this are NOT filling me with a lot of confidence. We sent out mailers to a Small Beam area about 80 miles away and NOW I don't really know what to tell potential customers. 
What a lot of people in these companies fail to understand is that when you run a business in a small town, your reputation is EVERYTHING....the last thing I need to do is tell folks one thing only for it to turn out to be false. 

Andy aka former Champion. 
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 249 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Andy I get 5-10 on weekend evenings with gold 50. VS1 area is called beam 328. But the only issues I have is the router malfunction after a storm. Other then that everything is just fine. Never have any outages ever unless a storm passed over and a reboot solves that. My SNR is just under 10.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 81 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I have no issues except during storms. This is my speed right now, 3 PM CST, on VS1

Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 249 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
How about Friday at 8pm?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1080 Posts
  • 348 Reply Likes
Sounds like the title of a good thread. Name plan, beam (general area), and speed.
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 181 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I am still wondering if I will ever see VS2..  or if it was just a dream......
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3046 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
It's still rolling out but slowly. I would recommend the occasional check of account.viasat.com
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 181 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Thus why I feel like I'm Do, half a year later and Nothing.... nadda