Bradley

• 1075 Posts
  • 346 Reply Likes
There went the excess capacity.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2049 Posts
  • 1769 Reply Likes
It can only mean a better company for us subscribers.  More customers mean they can build more and better sats for us, which they are doing. 

"The company disclosed in its third quarter 2017 earnings report that R&D expenses were up 93 percent year-over-year, with most of that spending devoted to building ViaSat-3 payloads in-house, next-generation networks, and creating new aeronautical connectivity products. R&D spending grew by $34.2 million year-over-year."

"While Boeing is the manufacturer for the first two ViaSat 3 satellites, ViaSat is taking on much of the work itself. The company is pursuing an unconventional approach to satellite procurement, opting to build the payloads for ViaSat 3 in-house in its own facilities. This is driving R&D expenses up by approximately 50 percent, with aeronautical being the other main area of increased R&D investment."

A win win for all of us.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1075 Posts
  • 346 Reply Likes
A little backwards. Build the sats and customers will come.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2049 Posts
  • 1768 Reply Likes
They did, and they are coming, so they are building more and better.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3112 Posts
  • 1771 Reply Likes
I don't think Boeing built Viasat-1. Wasn't it Space Systems Loreal? And magically that same tech showed up then on the competitors next two satellites.
Photo of C0RR0SIVE

C0RR0SIVE

• 41 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
SSL did the build, however, the base satellite system tends to come from Boeing...

Think of it like this... You buy a starter kit that comes with all the crucial things, but, you add on what you want to get the job done.  Whether that's a high RPM, high HP low torque engine, or a slow engine, with low HP, but ridiculous HP sitting on the same chassis.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3112 Posts
  • 1771 Reply Likes
In other words, SSL is the one that built the tech in Viasat-1 to Viasat' s specs. The same tech that subsequently was then put into Hughesnet's birds.

I think SSL also spilt the cleaning solution. No wonder they didn't get another build from Viasat!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2072 Posts
  • 1018 Reply Likes
The military trusts Viasat technology.  Let that sink in for a moment.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1075 Posts
  • 346 Reply Likes
I’ve often wondered if the military causes our congestion too. I’m sure they get priority. Wouldn’t be surprised to see ViaSat get out of the residential market eventually.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2072 Posts
  • 1018 Reply Likes
I could see that happening when Exede was a legal entity of Viasat. Now that it's all under ome name, I think they are going to keep us trailer park trash around for a while.

If they ever spin off a new name for residential customers, then they will probably sell that brand to the highest bidder.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3112 Posts
  • 1771 Reply Likes
Military??? Try Air Force One. Thanks to Viasat, we get our presidential tweets. I am not saying that is good or bad, but that is a pretty important customer of Viasat's right there :).
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3637 Posts
  • 3624 Reply Likes
The military also uses Windows... let that sink in ;)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3112 Posts
  • 1771 Reply Likes
Bet the NSA and CIA don't :)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2049 Posts
  • 1769 Reply Likes
Before your post gets deleted, and it will, we probably wouldn't have a Viasat if it wasn't for these other contracts.  At least we wouldn't have the latest and best satellites in orbit and coming up if it wasn't for military and other contracts.   They all need, want, "other" customers....

"Hughes Awarded U.S. Government Contract for SATCOM Communications Architecture" 
 Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HUGHES), the global leader in broadband satellite networks and services, today announced it has been awarded a Wideband Communications Architecture Study (WCAS) contract to support the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) plan for resilient, cost-effective satellite communications (SATCOM) capabilities. Under the contract, Hughes will investigate a wide-ranging commercial perspective on how different satellite transports can interoperate for wideband government applications.

JULY 24, 2017
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2688 Posts
  • 1688 Reply Likes
I guess that Gregg Kulgian never wanted to share his toys as a child either. 

I agree with Jim16, if it weren't for the defense, airline and other commercial contracts, us rural folks would still be struggling with dial up internet service.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1075 Posts
  • 346 Reply Likes
So does HughesNet have the same contracts? Does SpaceX and OneWeb?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2049 Posts
  • 1769 Reply Likes
Hughes Signs $190M Contract with OneWeb for Production of Ground Network System for Global Internet ServicesContract Value Includes Gateway Site Equipment for a World-Wide Ground Network Utilizing Broadband Tracking Antennas to Support OneWeb's Constellation of Low Earth Orbit Satellites.