To People Who Are Having Trouble With The Freedom Plan 150GBS Or Other People Having Problems With Speed Read This!

• Idea
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Not Planned
To ALL the people who have the freedom plan 150gbs OR any other people who are having trouble with there speed also. OK so ive seen SO many people saying there speeds are too slow or they arent getting enough out of there data plans... so here are come stuff to think about...

1. slow speeds can be affected by peak hours. the peak hours are from 5pm to 2am. so therefore id suggest using the internet late morning OR the later afternoon BEOFRE 5pm. cause that is when everyone tends to get online and itll be slow. BUT!!! not too slow. i to experience this myself. if i cant watch no youtube then i play my 3ds... or play my xbox one on single player without going online until the speed is better.

2. during the holidays AND school vacations (like spring break or christmas break OR any holiday which people go to school) itll be slow cause that is when everyone is online so therefore itll be slow down. cause everyone is online also. during peak hours also itll probably be worse BUT!!! NOT to worse BUT will be VERY SLOW!!! so just keep that in mind. ive exeperinced this myself also so therefore i tend to go onto my 3ds or xbox one without going online.

3. congested networks. when this happeneds is when EVERYONE is online. so therefore you HAVE to share some of that speed you are using to other people. because exede has to put some of your speed to other people who are using the same networks as you so it WILL be slow... but yet you can web browser some stuff but not be able to play videos onto youtube that fast also exede has to give everyone the fair share of internet..... ive exeperienced this myself also. so therefore i just leave my computer alone and play my 3ds or xbox one without going online.

THAT IS ALL!!! :3 HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE!!! :3
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 838 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
  • happy, hopeful AND excited!

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Thank you for sharing this helpful information Tirzy, I'm sure our members will find this quite helpful!
(Edited)
Photo of Jeri Sessler

Jeri Sessler

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I paid $140/month for 120gbs on Cox before moving to my current location. I NEVER had an issue with slowdown or metering.  This is ridiculous.  We shouldn't have to put up with substandard service.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
Satellite internet is an option of last resort for those of us who cannot get land-based services. It can't currently compete with state of the art land-based services.

If Cox (or any other land-based provider) thought it were profitable to provide you with service they'd already be there. I contacted them a few years back (or was it Comcast, I forget) - they wanted $6500 to pull cable to me less than a half-mile from the nearest drop. That was some 5 years ago now and costs have risen further. Verizon FIOS wanted even more and wouldn't even consider it due to having to secure the necessary rights of way. The 2 cable operators didn't have to be overly concerned with rights of way since they were awarded franchises by the county government - but those same franchises dictate who they must provide service to based on population density. Frequently, the obstacles to our getting land-based service are found at state and local government levels.
(Edited)
Photo of Jeri Sessler

Jeri Sessler

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Correction - $140/month for 120mbps.  Sorry.  Fat fingers...  :)
Photo of Jeri Sessler

Jeri Sessler

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And PS:  Cox is across the street in a subdivision where the houses are next to each other.  Because I am in a section with 2.5 acre lots, they won't pay to expand here.  The more frustrating part is that Centurylink has a 1Gig drop about 1/2 block from my house that is unused right now.  I wish I could figure out how to tie into it, lol.  So you are correct, it is all about the profit per foot run of cable...
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
Check with your local government (city/county) - they award the franchises and stipulate who must be provided service and the companies won't tell you that... unfortunately I'm not covered by the agreement with my county so would need to foot the bill myself (actually it may not be that bad it would increase my house value when selling and I'd eventually get it back - houses without reliable Internet don't sell to well in this area). 
(Edited)
Photo of Gillian Ernsberger

Gillian Ernsberger

• 13 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
So basically we are paying $ 116+ for a substandard product . None of this was discussed at time of purchase!So this is a breech of contract.Contractual law states it has to be fit for service and give what was advertised at time of purchase!!
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Well I have had Exede for around 4 years and never had this much trouble before. Since I'm older I like to read paper online since live in country and they don't deliver it any more. I also do my banking online. I don't do xbox or watch movies online. Go on Facebook maybe an hour to see what family and church friends are doing. I'm not on in evening. I'm on a little before noon and couple of hours in afternoon so don't feel I'm using to much of the internet.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
Freedom Plan speed is being manipulated.  I'm on beam 369 and it has NEVER slowed down until I switched to the Freedom Plan.  I live in the mountains above San Jose California.  The Silicon Valley has over 48 different ISPs. The demand on beam 369 is light due to the local competition.  Beam 364 overlaps beam 369 further reducing individual beam demand. Beam 364 serves customers from about San Carlos to Marin County where some of the wealthiest people in the area live so they aren't into slow Internet, they pay for individual fiber runs to their homes. Beam 369 covers San Francisco (also served by B364) to Hollister, again, not many customers there.

My speed went from "envious" to "dial-up" when I switched to the Freedom Plan.

The plot thickens...  I know people around here on both beams 369 and 364.  We call each other and do speed test at the same time.  Those still on their Classic Plans still get perfect speeds of 12Mb/sec or better while I and those on the Freedom Plan get less than 1 Mb.

Exede Diana ran a speed test on my modem last week and got in the neighborhood of 5Mb/sec.  I think that is a truthful test.  I see streaming is affected the worst.  Regular HTTP traffic is somewhat faster but still lacking, severely.  Streaming goes down to 0.16Mb/sec regularly despite the time of day. HTTP speed drops in the evening when so-called "congestion" can be used as a blame-game in other parts of the country, but not Silicon Valley.  It's too much like clockwork, like network parameters are changed on a schedule despite beam traffic at any given time.  This is NOT "Fair Use" network management, it is outright cheating people that pay the price to get the Freedom Plan.

(Edited)
Photo of Robert Spano

Robert Spano

• 43 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I don't have time to play games.  I discussed my needs with a representative prior to signing up and was assured that Exede would deliver a superior product that would fulfill my requirements.  I can't just drop the online conference and go play a game.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Let's make a list of the excuses so far and what Exede suggests you do

• Spring break - It'll be over soon.  Guess what, you'll just come up with another excuse
  • Prime usage time - Try doing your JOB (yes, my job, I work from home) from between 2am and 5 am. That'll be great for my coworkers in APAC
  • There's congestion - It happens.  See above. Guess what, I NEVER had a congestion issue with my old Liberty 30 plan. I actually miss going over my quota by mid-month and running throttled.  Throttled performance is better than what I'm seeing now!
  • You have a brand new whizbang modem/router - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....  this thing is circa 2012. Can't run 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID's at the same time...  wonderful.  Too bad I have some devices that only run at 2.4 so I can't run at 5...  let's not mention the fact you just won't bridge the WAN port so I can use a real router... LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES
Am I irritated?  A bit...  but I feel better now.

Exede, you rolled this out without having the capacity to support it.  You should at least be offering some sort of rebate or relief to those of us having issues.
Photo of Jeri Sessler

Jeri Sessler

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@https://community.exede.com/exede/people/craig_6957453 - how do you find out what beam you are on?  I would love to know.  
@https://community.exede.com/exede/people/jim_anderson_jdeegm7y0w2i0 - I totally agree with you.  I'm a home based worker, too.  I can't get my work done during the 1am to 5 am shift.  I don't work with China.  I work in AZ with clients in North America.  Freaking frustrating.  I feel bilked.  I switched from Centurylink (the only other option where I live) because everytime the wind blew, the internet went down for 2 hours here (old DSL lines in the air with corroded wire).  Now, I have a snail for a provider.  equally bad.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
I am SO TIRED of the peak hours/congestion/blah blah blah EXCUSE.  I've been using this product for 5 years.  I know when peak hours are.  Stop telling me that's the problem.

Exede advertised better speeds and more capacity.  My speed IS WORSE than I had with the Liberty 30 plan when I had EXCEEDED my 30 gig. Hell, the Wifi Modem/router they have is so SUBSTANDARD, I wish I could go back to the Liberty plan with the old modem and my Linksys router.

This is slowly becoming a bait and switch scenario.  The NYS Attorney General loves these kind of cases.
Photo of J S

J S

• 22 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
make sure your modem is not overheating. It has to be standing upright and not have anything around it. If it overheats it gets slow.
Photo of Christy Wineinger

Christy Wineinger

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Can you not have a Jetpack INSIDE??
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
No cell signal in the house... THAT'S how rural I am...

Christy Wineinger

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
And I thought WE were in the sticks in SW Indiana! Lol
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Rural upstate NY.  If Verizon had sited the tower a few miles from here a tad bit more towards me, it would have crested the hill and I'd have cell service.

Christy Wineinger

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
That's not good. We absolutely despised Exede. We never dropped into the kbps range, but it was close. Freedom plan isn't available in our area. Imagine that.
Is it possible for you to have a cell booster for signal and data? We have an older one, at the moment, which worked great for our older 3G phones. Now having 4G LTE phones​, the mghz on the booster are way too high for newer phones. We have a new booster coming Saturday. Can't wait to get it.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2279 Posts
  • 1986 Reply Likes
Your unlimited internet on the Jet Pack is 10gigs and then you are throttled to 3g speeds, about 200 - 500 kbs.  " with Jet pack or Hotspot after 10GB of usage data speeds will be lowered to 3G."
(Edited)
Photo of Levi Hill

Levi Hill

• 25 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Ahh, the luxurious of Cell service....
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2279 Posts
  • 1986 Reply Likes
Sorry, you are misinformed.  From the Verizon website...."4G LTE only. After 22 GB/line/mo, we may prioritize your data behind other Verizon customers during network congestion. Not available for machine–to–machine services. Mobile hotspot/router/Jetpack service reduced to 3G speeds after 10GB/month"

Christy Wineinger

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
BUT, what VZW isn't telling, the throttling is mainly in larger cities. We hardly see any lag in our service. Netflix is streaming great. Our cycle ends tomorrow; our data usage is now at 68G of unlimited. Maybe it's a "to each their own" issue, but I've just shared what our experience has been thus far.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2279 Posts
  • 1986 Reply Likes
As long as people know Verizon's Data policy.  You may be flying under the radar, but others may not.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 57 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I'm with Verizon and have a 4G LTE hotspot. I had the Unlimited plan and they DID throttle me back from normal 12 Mbit to 500k after 11 Gb on hotspot. Reading the fine print it said the would. Totally unusable so I changed to 30 Gb plan which also throttled me back to 3G after data used up. Now I see later Unlimited plans with terms that read 'may' throttle you during peak times. And currently Verizon no longer offers Unlimited for hotspots. The plans and terms change every few months so I can see both of the above cases are correct information depending on when you sign up and where you live.
Photo of Levi Hill

Levi Hill

• 25 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
And now I feel bad as I test my speeds,

Christy Wineinger

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Good test, Levi! Exede customers would be very happy with that!!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3090 Posts
  • 1299 Reply Likes
I am looking forward to Viasat 2 coming online. I hope to see speeds like mine now for everyone. Yes this is on Viasat 1 with the Boost 25 Wifi Modem. Test was earlier today. 

I know slow speeds are frustrating but congestion during peak usage hours is not a lie. A satellite, any satellite, has a finite capacity for handling data. That limited capacity has to be divided between everyone that wants to use the internet at any give moment. The more people using it in that moment, the less it can allocate to each user. When nearly every subscriber on a fully sold beam is using the internet, congestion happens and, slows everyone on that beam down. it isn't intentional in that Viasat just slows you for no reason, it's hardware doing all it can do, and that's the best it can give you in that moment.

Fixing that means new hardware is needed - in this case a new satellite. Those things take years and, hundreds of millions of dollars to build and launch, then you need all of the support hardware down here for the satellite to be able to provide us with service.

Viasat 2 is that new hardware and, it is working its way into its final orbit, where it will be tested, then be providing service. Giving us better speeds and, larger plans. Even if you stay on Viasat-1, the people that move over to Viasat-2 will free up capacity on Viasat-1 so, it too will have room for better plans.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.