Suggestions!!!

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • (Edited)
I am currently on the Freedom 150 plan with 12 Mbps. I rarely get about 1Mbps. My only plan options are to switch to Liberty 25 or Liberty 50. I have been reading here about a policy change to the Freedom 150 plans. I never got an email or letter telling me of this policy change. What are everyone suggestions on the plans I have available to switch to? I do not use much data probably average 20 GIG a month so the 25 plan would probably do it. Will I get better speeds and will I be able to stream in HD?

Any help would be appreciated.

Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Did you get better speeds prior to the data management changes for your plan? What were your prime time speeds on average?

Just a guess, but you’ll probably see a little faster speeds.

You won’t do much streaming in HD before you’d blow through 25GB.
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

To be honest I have never got great speeds. I would say that on average I would get 1-3 Mbps in the evening times. Do you happen to know what video quality is with the Freedom 150 plan? And will the Liberty plans be the same quality? Also, is the Liberty plans I shown available to me on Viasat-2?

Thanks
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 288 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
I think you need to find others on your same beam and on the Liberty 12Mbps plans to see how their speeds are.  
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Wonder why they don't offer the 12gb plan now? I have the Liberty 12 plan for $50 a month $60 and some change after the lease fee. I get great speeds on mine long as I have priority data, Liberty pass for me is very slow at 0.25 and under now not that it means you will get those low of speeds just depends on congestion. Far as streaming yes you can stream with the plan but not cord cutting by all means. The data extender that comes with the plan is a nice feature it lets you have data streaming at 480p I think or turn it off for HD. You will get free time from 3am to 6am too so that is nice too.

Still one of the best plans you will get on Viasat 1 for the price IMO.
(Edited)
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

So these plans that are available to me are still on Viasat-1? I live in North Mississippi so I don't know what beam that I am on.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Yup those are Viasat 1 plans. Far as I know Viasat 2 don't offer Liberty.
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
How can I tell which beam I am on?
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes

This should give you a rough idea of what beam you are on.  
The plans have probably changed but the beam numbers should 
still be the same.
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

So why when I go to Viasat.com and enter my zipcode I am getting completely different plans available in my area?
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 259 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Those are for NEW customers only

And beware everyone:
Choose your new plan carefully, if you wish to change plan after the promotion period for example, you will have a totally different menu to pick from...
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Looks as you can get on Viasat 2 if you want or stay on Viasat 1 with Liberty. The choice is your but if you jump to Viasat 2 you will need to agree to another 2 year contract as you will need new equipment and another install. I think that is Viasat 2 since it is offering 50mbps.
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Which plan Viasat 1 or 2 would give me the same video quality as what I currently have now with viasat-1 freedom 150?
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I watch 1080p video on Liberty with the video extender turned off.
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What type of speeds are you getting on average?
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
With data during the day I get anywhere from 10 up to 19mbps prime I get 6mbps or so. Liberty pass as I said before is very slow for me but it depends on congestion so you may get great speeds or you might not.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
On those other plans you posted looks like you would get 360p with Bronze, 480p silver and 720p on gold so Liberty would give you better quality with the video extender turned off but it will eat your data fast or just use it during the free zone.
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I typically only use about 20 Gigs a month anyway so 25 would be plenty for me. I dont do a whole lot of streaming but when I do I want 1080 quality.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Except most good and original content isnt on DVD's anymore.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
No cell signal here in the mountains, cell service about 45 minutes away in all directions.  At my age dementia is right around the corner so maybe I can watch my current DVD collection and feel like it's all new releases!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
If you live in Kern County, one should be enjoying Nature

Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
I do live in Kern mountains, but 6 years of heavy drought has left trees anything but green. The picture above is like a viasat commercial, really pretty, but not a truthful representation of what it is now.