Speed on overlapping beams 369 and 364 has tanked overnight

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
I am on beam 369 and know customers on 364.  Both beams went from excellent to UN-usable on March 14, 2017.  Speed was always at least 10Mb/sec or better any time of day or night but are now down to 0.11 to 1.3 in the best conditions. Congestion is not apparent on these 2 beams and cannot be attributed to that unless 60,000 new customers went online on March 14.  If I utilize 50 simultaneous connections on port 443 I can get the speed up to 1.36Mb/sec. UDP packets are affected more than TCP.  A complete sequential reboot was performed with no change in performance.

@ exede,

Is there a problem with B369 & B364?

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2231 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Hi Craig,  I have not heard of any issues in those beams. I just ran a speedtest directly from your modem to the cord node and I got 5.74 Mbps download and 4.97 Mbps upload
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Thank You Diana for checking.  That speed shows a situation is improving but is still half of what it's been for the past 2 years until March 14.  The sudden  drop in speed was shocking.  I will check around here for any environmental changes (fallen/tilting trees, cable problems, etc.).  Something changed overnight on the 14th so the problem must be here.  The speed also taking a dive for my friends on beam 364 makes this puzzling. Your testing from the exede end is appreciated.  Have a great day.

(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 406 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
I find it interesting that Diana thinks 5.74 is great on the download. Most of us were sold on 12 and I have the 25 plan and this week I am lucky to get more than 1.5 on my download. Complaints will fall on deaf ears while they take my payment each month. If someone looked you in the face and told this story to get business, what would you do?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

This is what I'm talking about:
This speed test was performed using the exede eSVT tool.

Perhaps someone at ViaSat can look deeper into this problem.
Photo of JenniB15

JenniB15

• 29 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am curious. I looked around the dashboard, and cannot see how you tell which beam you are on. Can someone enlighten me about beams? Thank you.

BTW, that kind of speed is what we came to exede to get away from. I just checked with the exede tool, and my download speed was 4.52, not what I expect -- but way better than yours, Craig (and way better than our other option). I hope yours gets fixed soon.
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 263 Posts
  • 292 Reply Likes
JenniB15, you need to go to the eSVT tool at https:/myesvt.exede.net to find your beam, gateway, etc. Log in with the same credentials you use to go to the Dashboard.
Photo of JenniB15

JenniB15

• 29 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Can you give me a hint *where* to look on the eSVT tool? I've looked at every icon, clicked (almost) every linked item, and still can't find it. Sorry I just said dashboard, I was looking at eSVT as well. Thanks.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
It's the Service Area shown
Photo of JenniB15

JenniB15

• 29 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Oh, thank you! Mine appears to be 62.