signed on 3 days ago: FIRST DAY of new month and average speed down to 13-134 kb :<

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Download Speed to a crawl, have to wait for every page to open up slowly. Been like this since I signed on a couple of hours ago. Thank you Viasat. You are the best. (Obviously meant sarcastically) What's the best/cheapest way to bail out of Viasat? Just paid my monthly bill, so I am in it for a month. I really do not want to spend the rest of the day on a phone talking to their support line. Been there, done that soooo many times with other companies. Unlimited Bronze plan. Monitoring the speed with a Bandwidth app on desktop.
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3057 Posts
  • 1276 Reply Likes
Many factors play into that. make sure your computer is hard wired to the modem, go to testmy.net and do a manual test size of 100 MB or larger on the download test. Repeat on Wifi.

You can also get the Viasat App for a smart phone and use the diagnostics there (tap the ?) that may give you some insight as to if there is a problem and, where the problem is.

Maybe we can narrow down the cause of chronically slow speeds for you.
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
thanks for the info. No one should be going through 'who's gone through some of what you're experiencing' in the first place. Mind you, we are paying over $ 100 monthly. And, like I said, the phone app has been judged as useless by customers so why even recommend it?

As a customer i have the right to know how much data I am using, minute by minute. Verizon provides this service. Viasat is not. i do not believe their data count.

I am using Bandwidth+, but more than any app i can rely on the time I am sitting here in my chair waiting for a web page to open up. The app only confirms this. What is puzzling me, is the fact that when I download a file, it's up to speed, about 600kb. But when I browse the web it slows down to a crawl - like I said I am waiting and waiting for the page to open up, and the bandwidth app tells me browsing is between 13 an 134 kb!
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Old Labs: I am tired of wasting my time with constantly contacting customer service. I already wasted 2 days with installation and another 2 days with the problems I had in the first 48 hours. Enough is enough. (And with the feedback and suggestions I got from other people on this forum, I don't think Viasat customer service could be better). Look at it this way: getting out of the Viasat agreement will cost me between $ 300-$ 350. When you make $ 50 an hour, that's max 7 hours of work. I guarantee you, with Viasat I will be spending much more time on the phone, tweaking here and there and as has been my experience with other companies, in the end the outcome will be negligible. Again, been there, done that. I'll rather pay and lick my wounds and rather move on. Looking around on this board, this will be a bottomless pit. But rest assured, I will tell all my neighbors who are considering to switch to Viasat, to not even think about it.  And there are plenty of them.
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 64 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Bev is right on hardwire test not wifi Bev knows her stuff
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3625 Posts
  • 3607 Reply Likes
Understood and not trying to convince you to stay - I don't work for them either and couldn't care less one way or another if you stay or go. If you've got a better option take it, I don't but would certainly jump at one if it were to come along but have been waiting for 12 years for that "promise" to come - I can still hear the Verizon rep saying "soon".

The best way to bail is as you state - but make sure you cancel before the next billing date and follow the instructions to the letter to avoid being later billed for failing to return the equipment.    

I was just curious what bandwidth app you're using - it comes up often around here for Mac and Apple users (and there aren't many suggestions offered for them). I trust but verify my usage counts using my own router (can't say that I've found any inaccuracy in well over 5 years now).

My only other point was to reiterate the viasatlistens approach - which takes you outside of the scripted third party phone support venue.  
(Edited)
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Old labs: we seem to be coming from the same experience. I have been waiting for 15 years. Been and still am in contract with Commspeed/now Speedconnect. Paid them about $ 15000 in the last 15 years and had to take 5 days outages into account! But their 1.5 mb download speed starts looking good after what I am experiencing right now with Viasat. I do have Verizon wireless, and boy are they fast: 5mb upload! Viasat  hasn't exceeded 0.8 mb in the last 3 days. But, I'm already on their best plan and the 15 GB I have with them just aren't enough obvio. I have kept them as a back up when I needed speed, up- and download. Like you I do not see an alternative, Hughes Net is the company of choice in my neighborhood. But I tested them: never got over 5-6 mb download at neighbors places.  I really hoped that I finally had made it to the modern age with Viasat. So my disappointment is big, and yes, I am venting and I'm sorry if it hit good meaning people.
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I didn't even bother to download your phone app - have you read the reviews? they clearly state that it is crap, sorry, that's the term that is used most often. 150 mb wasted on your app.

It was ok for the first 3 days, the speed. I do not need to do another speed test, I am sitting here, waiting for the pages to open. That's better proof than measuring something I am already painfully experiencing. I do not need a tooth ache test when I feel it ;). What is puzzling me, is the fact that when I download a file, it's up to speed, about 600kb. But when I browse the web it slows down to a crawl - like I said I am waiting and waiting for the page to open up, and a bandwidth app tells me browsing is between 13 an 134 kb!
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
The standard potential remedies are:
1. Contact the Arizona Attorney General's office to file a complaint,
2. Contact the Better Business Bureau to file a complaint,
3. Devise a way so that Viasat cannot get their hands on the cancellation fee and let them prove you owe them money in court.

Viasat does not operate like Walmart, who treats customers like they are always right. Maybe that is why Walmart is the biggest retailer in the world. And Walmart was almost nothing before 1990.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3057 Posts
  • 1276 Reply Likes
We can't even begin to help you until we know where the problem is. Now it MAY be congestion on your beam but, if your speeds are that slow at any hour, that's unlikely. You refuse to do what's needed to narrow down the cause so, that leaves canceling and paying the ETF or living with it as it is.
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
thanks Bev. I think it's kind of strange, that on the first day I am on my first month this happens. I did not happen for the last 3 days. I am just really tired with tinkering around, shouldn't be doing this, and all the buttons I see on the modem is a reset button. And when you are in the middle of an earthquake, do you really still have to measure how much it is on a Richter scale? I already know. And is there anything else to do beyond this list? (from viasat)

Restart your router. Just unplug it, wait a minute, and plug it back in. This simple fix can solve a remarkable number of problems! Still having trouble? Read on ...

Check your speed both ways: Do a speed test over your Wi-Fi, then do it again with your computer connected directly to the modem via Ethernet cable. If there’s a big difference (wired is much faster), that could point to a problem with the router.

Check your router’s location. Putting the router in a central location to your devices is always a good idea, as is getting it on a higher shelf if possible. Make sure it’s not too close to other connected gadgets, like baby monitors or smart TVs, which can cause interference.

Make sure your router is running the latest software (known as ‘firmware’). Check the help center of your router’s manufacturer on how to do this. Typically it involves logging into the router’s admin page, usually by entering 192.168.1 into the address bar and logging in with info found on the back of the router (often it’s as simple as ‘admin’ and ‘password.’)

Extend your network. If you’ve got ‘dead spots’ in your house where the router just doesn’t seem to reach, you can buy a network extender. These are available online or in electronics stores for as little as $30 or $40. They can boost the signal from your primary router to reach areas of your home that aren’t well covered.

Upgrade your hardware. If your router is more than five years old, it may be time to upgrade to something newer with the latest technology. First, read reviews and compare prices on a site like 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3057 Posts
  • 1276 Reply Likes
The app can also tell you if there is a dish to modem problem or a dish alignment issue. I know it's a hassle sometimes to track down problems, but if you have Priority data remaining, speeds should not be that low and, off peak, even out of data should be better than 1 Mbps.

I've had to work through similar problems myself and, I will be among the first to tell you that the call center, tier 1 support is not always the best. We shouldn't have to push and send emails to Viasatlistens@viasat.com to get to tier two and three but, we do. Anymore, I just get on the twitter page and message them or, send an email if I can wait a day or two for a real person to reply. 

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ViasatInternet
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I never have seen 1 Mbps. Most ever I have seen in the last 3 days since I started with Viasat is in the 600 kb range. And now as I said around  13 - 134 kb. You made me aware that there is something terribly wrong going on here. Switched to Verizon for a minute and boom, it was up to 4.5mb! Their website wasn't moving at all right now, I saw the spinning wheel for 5 minutes, trying to look at my stats. What a loser company!  This is theft they are committing, stealing our money and not giving back any service in return. I will see if there is a way I can get data beyond 15 GB through Verizon, and then will bail out of Viasat. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I turned off the computer. Went for a walk. Came back one hour later, turned computer on again and it is humming along just fine, in fact I see download speeds of 4.5 mb, which I see for the first time. So pretty much all day i was for no reason whatsoever throttled by something. And the hindrance is gone, for now. Is this to be expected being on Viasat?
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
well yes, I am (and have been) documenting what's going on and will contact  the corporate media team  and will let them know and will give them my list.  Visit from the local sheriff? hahaha if that would be the case, every single sheriff in the US wouldn't be doing anything BUT visit people who are not paying their bills ROFL 
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Steve,

It does not work quite like that.

First, Viasat would have to sue her in Arizona presumably in small claims court.
Viasat would probably have to send a lawyer but she would not need a lawyer.
She has indicated she is in a very remote location of AZ. It might not be cheap for Viasat to send a representative to the end of the earth. This gives her a great tactical advantage.

In many states, the Small Claims Judge is elected by the local population. I do not know if that is the case in AZ. In any case they tend to favor local litigants against out of state litigants. This is another tactical advantage,

This does even take into account that the facts would seem to indicate she is right not to pay a cancellation fee, given the short tenure of her use. If you think Viasat's contract is iron clad, you would be wrong.

It would not be worth it tor Viasat to pursue this, unless they were trying to prove a point.

In any case, if it got so far as a trial, and if the judge ruled in Viasat's favor, then she could pay the cancellation fee at that time with no credit or other consequences.

Or she could pay now and forget about it. It does not sound like she is going to take that option.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2685 Posts
  • 1686 Reply Likes
MEM is now claiming to be a lawyer. What next?

BTW, I did stay the past few nights at a Holiday Inn Express...
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Since you are clueless to what my credentials are, your comment is baseless, just like so many other comments of yours.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2047 Posts
  • 1764 Reply Likes
We are not clueless, we know what you are.
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 817 Posts
  • 447 Reply Likes
all imma gonna say is this... at least you have some sort of internet... and are able to get online onto the forums and contact us onto here... either that or you can just go without internet and stuff... just my opnion... my question is... how on earth are you able to get onto the forums??? 

plus... its summer break also... so all the little kiddies will be using the internet which will cause for network congestion and so on... also... its going to be memorial day on monday... (i think) plus... there will be LOADS of people online watching movies and so on... or playing video games online (like me) so yeah... memorial day WILL BE A LONG DAY!!! @>@ IMMA ALREADY PREPARED!!! :D imma gots my nintendo switch charging and stuff :3 and my aukey 30,000 mah battery bank charging already :3 and stuff :3

plus... during peek hours from 5pm to 2am (or was it 3am) is when itll get REALLY slow... well for me... its just been fine onto my end :3 but... somewhat slow a wee bit but not too much... so i just watch my animes ive downloaded and just watch them onto my xbox one and just enjoy my anime while drinking my soda and smoking a ciggy :3

soooo despite all of what i said... could be related to this... BUT!!! like i said... you can either be with the slow speeds and trying to help us figure out what your problem is... OR you can just go without internet...  (not trying to be rude or nothing... BUT!!! just stating facts though :3  )
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2047 Posts
  • 1764 Reply Likes
You need to get a switchboard to help with all those calls coming in.  You really do think you are that important.  Not surprised by that.  Please don't send everyone you know away from Viasat.  They will have to shut down their satellite and then what will all of us do?  Use your amazing powers for the good of humanity.  End poverty, hunger, create world peace, but please leave Viasat alone, we beg you o' powerful one! 
Photo of cinderhill

cinderhill

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
enough groveling at my feet, I allow you to get up again. let me enlighten your ignorance and free you of your delusion. I have about 200 neighbors and we all get together once a month to exchange the latest solar/internet technologies etc. We are a community of people in a very remote extended stretch of land, who rely on each other's advice. I understand, that your limited brain capability cannot fathom this, so I leave it at that.
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Jim16 "CHAMPION"
Another one of your unnecessary posts trying to pick a fight. 
This time with cinderhill.
I wonder how obnoxious you would be if you were not anonymous?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2047 Posts
  • 1764 Reply Likes
Yep, I was right. You really do think you are important.
(Edited)
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Jim16"CHAMPION"
Can you please just shut up?
You continue to sabotage the intent of this forum.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 759 Posts
  • 386 Reply Likes
This thread has devolved into arguments and personal attacks.  Locking it.  

Keep it civil people!  

cinderhill, I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with our service.  If you haven't yet, please contact us at ViasatListens@viasat.com.  We (Brad, Diana and I) are located at the corporate headquarters in Denver, and have much more access and permissions that any agent you'd speak to via phone.  Contact us, let us work with you to solve the issues you're encountering.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.