Router Question

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I was sold a link sys wireless router by the tech who installed the satellite service I am having missing data issues and have disabled the wireless just using it as a router but even though it is not functioning as a wireless router whenever I have an issue customer service always goes to its a wireless router and someone could be stealing your data which I highly doubt as it is pw protected but the point is I don't want a wireless router I want just a regular wired router but not sure what to buy and what works with exede.. please help and this way if my data is magically disappearing they cant blame the wireless .. even though the wireless is disabled
Photo of Notea Fairy

Notea Fairy

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Don't waste your time/money buying a router without wireless capability.  If you have turned off the wireless function of your current router, then wireless theft is not your problem.  There are several threads on this forum about how data slips away.  You just need to find your leak and plug it.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I agree, don't buy a different router. Just be sure the wireless function is turned off.  If you didn't already know this, you can turn the wifi radio off from a menu in the router setup.  With a Linksys router you type this number into your web browser's address or location window     192.168.1.1
Some brands use a different 3rd place number such as 11. 
Photo of Dontazz2003

Dontazz2003

• 47 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Why use a router at all go straight from exede box to the computer with the Ethernet cord.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Notea, the others are correct, you absolutely do not need a new router. I am sorry you were led to believe otherwise and are having so much trouble. This is not the kind of experience we aim for.

First, if you have a password on your wireless, it's extremely unlikely that anyone is stealing your data. Secondly, if you have wireless turned off completely, that's absolutely not happening. You definitely do not need a new router.

That being said, I would like to investigate your disappearing data. Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Please reference your post in your email.
Photo of Larry Lockie

Larry Lockie

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Number one, Can't believe the installer would sell you a Linksys router which has wireless capabilities and then turn wireless off. 
Number two, most of the newer routers have excellent password encryption. Just stay away from WEP in any form. Any half good hacker can break that in no time. the WPA line of security encryption is far superior, and takes more time than it's worth to break. 
Number three, use at least 10 or 12 mixed characters at least for a password. The more characters there are, the harder it is to decipher for the bad guys. Mixing upper and lower case letters, Numbers, and special characters (@!$#^&*()) No, that was not swearing.;-).
I am an installer, and have helped numerous customers set up their router. The only ones who have ever been Hacked are those that can't be bothered with good passwords, or no passwords.
Just set your PC to only do updates during the Free zone, and any other program you have set the same. Also use a download manager, like free download manager, or internet download manager to name 2.

Watch where you download them from, as some sites will add on "Garbage" that will eat data.
Good luck
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Larry, I don't believe their router won't function wirelessly, they just are not using it wirelessly and do not wish to. Notea, if that's not the case, please let us know.
Photo of Larry Lockie

Larry Lockie

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Didn't mean to leave that impression. I just thought it was not right for the installer to leave them in that condition. I didn't think he or she was very helpful to the customer. Sorry for the mis-direct.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
The customer wanted wireless to be disabled.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.