Questions on satellite providers/Freedom 150

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
I am trying to decide what internet satellite provider to go with. Now that Hughesnet has their Gen 5 system up and running, the choice is between their best and the Freedom 150. I have a few questions on the Freedom 150. We are wanting to cut the cord and will be streaming 2-4 hrs/day in HD (SD is not an option as we have a 4K TV), so will we realistically have enough data to do that with the Freedom plan? Another question is what kind of modem/router comes with the install in terms of wireless standards - b, g, n or AC? I've read where some folks on the Freedom plan are having issues with speed, so I am wondering what the service will be like in SW Michigan? Lastly, what will the new satellite bring to the table in terms of speed and future data allotment? Thank you in advance for all replies!
Photo of Tim

Tim

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of david

david, Champion

• 544 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
You can't do what you want to do on satellite internet. BTW SD works just fine on my HD TV. I wouldn't count on what anyone tells you about plans on the new satellite until they're actually being sold.
(Edited)
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I agree w/David. Feeding a 4K TV with 2-4HRs HD would eat 8-9 GB just in video. If you were able to find 4k video that may push this estimate to let's say 15 GB/day just watching video - 10 days of this then your SLOWED.
Photo of DebG

DebG, Champion

• 29 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
According to Netflix, streaming in HD uses about 3 GB of data per hour.  I have the Freedom 150 plan, and I regularly stream in SD; I've been using about half my allowance per month so far.  I'm in So Cal. Customer satisfaction with satellite service seems to vary quite a bit depending on location.

I don't track my speed, but everything seems to work just fine for me.  My router user guide says "802.11 a/b/g/n dual-band selectable frequency supporting 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connections." (means nothing to me).  I use the WiFi for streaming to my TV and for my smart phone.

Photo of Tim

Tim

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I don't think I would be watching much 4K content, but for me, there is a definite difference from SD to HD (480 vs. 720). Any information on the modem/router?
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
The new device is... lacking...  it won't bridge the WAN port to another router so you're stuck using it.  It's won't run 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi SSID's at the same time...  just to hit my high points.  Oh... there's also no external antenna... oh... you can't let it run hot or it likes to reboot (rumor has it...  mine is well ventilated and still likes to reboot itself...)
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Jim, it is not a rumor. Mine kept kicking offline. After 2 modem/routers I put a fan blowing directly thru it and not a bit of trouble since. You must get the coax at room temp in the back. Exede says it's not a problem but my 30 some years in electronics says the cooler the better for reliable performance. As far as bridging to a remote router I port forward all ports to the IP of the LAN router and it seems to work ok. Not a true bridge but is as close as you can come. One more little diddy.. you can't see the wired net with the wireless and vice versa. This sucked for me because i couldn't stream off my Ethernet server. It's not a router at all as far as I'm concerned.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Thanks...  I hope there is V2 of the hardware in the works.  I'm spending $$ on wireless repeaters now because of the poor coverage offered by the new modem.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

Tim,

West Michigan user here ....

Both companies have similar architecture in that you have a single terminal, ODU with aim to the satellite and ground-side Gateway facilities the lead to the 'head-end' terrestrial back-bone connection.

No matter how you cut it, no matter how you package or market it, a satellite connection can not be made to be the functional equivalent of true ground based ISP's.

You can hard throttle or soft throttle but in the end a sat connection has a finite through-put. No way around it.

With data caps (hard or soft) there is simply no way a user can expect to do more than occasional high demand activity such as video streaming ... with 4K being the current extreme.

Sat Internet is getting better but it is a very $$$ intensive investment for the owners meant to service a niche market.

This from a 13 year sat internet user.

Its not Cable nor DSL, FIOS, a WISP or even Cellular. It is a connection 'of last resort' for those of us that have been by-passed or ignored by ground based systems.

Learn the systems strengths and weaknesses and 'stay within the lines'.

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes
We got Exede for the soul purpose of streaming.  I had Verizon for many many years with great satisfaction with 10 gigs and 45mbs speeds.  When I found Exede had the 150gig package available in my area, i grabbed it and have had excellent results.  We stream a couple hours a day during the work week and more on the weekend. I have Netflix set on auto for the resolution and rarely have any buffering issues. We also have Acorn TV and Funimation and watch VUDU movies..etc.  I just watched Ghost in the shell at HD res. and it didn't buffer once.  But you will buffer at times on the HD settings probably more times than not.  We rarely use more than half of our 150gig data.  But again, we both work and we don't live on the internet.  We also have the 12mbs modem.  Would like to upgrade to the 25mbs modem, but it looks like there may still be some bugs on that. I guess the bottom line is, if you have a beam that is not to congested, you should be fine.
This is what our activity looks like every month...

Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 836 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
may i ask a question??? if so what program are you using for to see what kinda data usage is using up??? like i see the media and audio one but id like to have one also :3 thank you!!! :3
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes
Hi Tirzy
Go to your esvt page and at the very bottom is the icon to view usage data.

https://myesvt.exede.net

Photo of Tim

Tim

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks to all for the replies. I agree with Gwalk900 regarding satellite being the last course of action to have internet and it is truly sad especially since the government shelled out millions of $$s to upgrade rural internet.

Jim16, from your post, that does sound promising of being able to stream that much and stay inside the 150 gb limit.

The best Hughesnet Gen 5 is a 50/50 gb plan (50 anytime and 50 from 2 am to 8 am) plus no hard data limits that basically will run at ~ 1mb when you have burned up your monthly allotment. And this is about $30 more a month.

What would be the better plan, Hughesnet 50/50 or Exede Freedom 150?
Photo of outlaw2u2

outlaw2u2

• 27 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I had Hughesnet 15 Gigs (days) and 50 Gigs 2 to 8 am $110.00, I drop them for Exede Freedom 150 ($105.00) Right now I have used 47 gigs out of 150 gigs and will refill in 9 day. Love my plan!
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 46 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I agree the freedom 150 is good I have the boost 25 with the new modem.Speeds vary during the day I have had as high as 30up and 3 down .I can stream not unlimited but I have been able to do Netflix, Amazon HULU just fine.I have dish network and my receiver has Netflix built in it works great with the plan.Before that I had boost 25 18 gb with Liberty Pass and before that18gb Liberty .I have been with Excede for 5 years now years ago we had Wildblue it was sloww this works good .I think we pay a premium for living in a rural area its not fair that five miles from my house at my office I can get cable but they will never run it out where I live.Hopefully with Viasat 2 when it is launched and operational the cost might come down some or we get an unlimited plan.I have not eve used 20gbs of my 150 this month its my second month on this 150 plan I have had some connection problems but if I message Excede on facebook they have responded to me .Around 5-6pm till about 11 or so speeds do drop down on my beam.I have checked it with Speedtest.net or testmy.net so I know they do.I have a 4K TV but truthfully there is not much 4k content out there to broadcast.Good luck deciding.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
My advice to you is DON'T cut the cord if you mean cable and it works fine. Satellite systems love their data and will chew it up faster than you can change channels. If I had the choice between decent cable with no data cap and Exede I would use the cable. Satellites are the network used when the alternatives are no internet or dial-up.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
If you have decent internet speeds (greather than say 8 Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up), then stay with what you have.  That being said, Freedom 150 gives you a third more than the current top Hughesnet plan (at least from what I see).  So if you have to choose a provider, then Exede would be my current choice among the two you have.
Photo of Tim

Tim

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I currently have Directv and am paying over $100/mo. That is what I am trying to cut the cord on. Thanks everyone for you help with this!
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

Tim,

Have you called Directv ?

They raised me to $131 per month on the last increase. I called them yesterday and pointed out I can get Dish with free lifetime HD plus Starz .... for $80 per month with a two year price guarantee.

They lowered my bill to $89 per month for a year.

Photo of Tim

Tim

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have not. We are snowbirds and will be getting back early May and will likely call Directv then and cancel services.