Problem

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

What I'm tried of is paying this high price for internet and always worried about data all time when you want to watch Netflix or vudu. This is bs when I had cable internet didn't have to worry about data. If they want happy customer they need to fix this problem. Cell phone company have better data rates than excede. Maybe I will look into to dishnet because I have dishnetwork. You suck
Photo of jason

jason

  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

  • 295 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Jason,

I feel your pain. But the truth is, I just don't care. Satellite is not cable. If you thought it was when you signed up you were, quite simply, wrong.

I don't care that you can't watch unlimited Netflix or vudu or play some online game for twenty-two hours a day.

I don't care, not because I don't like you, you're probably a very nice person.

Satellite has less bandwidth than does that thin strand of wire you apparently used to have. (Why you gave that up is a mystery but a topic for a whole other conversation).

Here's a simple explanation: Let's say satellite has a maximum bandwidth of 100%. Not 150%. Not 3,000%. Just 100%. (You can use any non-negative number if you're uncomfortable with per-cents.) Anyway, we all share the bandwidth of the satellite. All we ALL, the collective, have to divide among ourselves is 100%. Now, if you suck up 80% of that bandwidth watching Netflix, playing WoW, and whatever else you think you should have unlimited access to, then the rest of are left with just 20% to share and that's just not fair.

Now we come to the reason why Exede throttles users. It forces others to share.

Imagine we're at a playground. Would it be fair if you took 80% of the playground, the swings, the slide, the jungle gym, and the water fountain, and left the rest of the children to share just the sandbox? No, of course it wouldn't be and I'm certain your mother wouldn't let you do that. She'd make you share your toys and play nice with the other kids.

Please, understand that it's not you I don't care about. If were ill I'd want you to be better. If you were houseless, I'd want you to have a house. If you were friendless, I would try to be your friend.

It's just your Internet problems I'm not sympathetic to.
Photo of jason

jason

  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well one reason I moved out the country. Were there no cable or DSL. I'm not a gamer so I can careless about that. But whole deal in a nut shell is if they up the gb package it would be worth the money. Do it for everybody. I don't want unlimited internet I just want little bit more for my money that all.
Photo of J&J

J&J

  • 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes
Over the few years they've been in business, they have upped the data allotments.
Stick around and see what happens when the ViaSat-2 is operational next year.

What to do until then?  Put a router between the dish modem and your computer.  Block ALL incoming connections (have built-in firewall enabled).  No sense in letting some would-be hacker in China hit you day and night trying to get into your system at your expense.

ViaSat is nice enough to allow incoming TCP/IP connections, something absolutely ALL 4G service providers don't allow.  (well, AT&T will allow incoming but want a $500.00 setup fee to get it).
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

  • 295 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Jason, you've made my point. 

You can only push so much water through a 1/2 inch hose. We'd all like to have a fire hose connection to the Internet but we don't. Until someone shoots another 1/2 hose (or a 3/4 inch hose which we all hope is ViaSat-2) into orbit, what we have is what we have.

BTW, I cycle tomorrow, will have used about 8.3GB and have been able to watch everything on Netflix that I've wanted to watch.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.