Plans for 46936

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
These just dropped this morning.  I tried to call my local dealer but just got voicemail.  Anyone know if these are on Viasat-2?  Area has been closed for about a month, till now. Notice the new prices and limits for priority data!

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 433 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3603 Posts
  • 3589 Reply Likes
If I were your dealer, I wouldn't be answering the phone after that dropped either (regardless of which bird it's on but I suspect Viasat-1). 12 Mbps Gold 65 GB threshold at $200 per month after 3 months... oh my! At first I was thinking an error in the lookup but sure enough, the unlimited data policy has been updated to reflect those limits on those plans - https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf 
(Edited)

Michael McDowell

• 433 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
You are probably right about it being Viasat-1, otherwise why only 12 Mbps?  Seems like every time new plans drop, they are a step in the wrong direction!!!!!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1074 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Even though I personally think Facebook is evil, I find myself hoping even they are successful with introducing LEO broadband. $200 a month goes a long way towards a house payment with some land that has $50 cable accessible. Probably a better investment too.
Photo of Craig Jones

Craig Jones

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It is on VS2, you can tell by the description/Specs of the Modem.  I'm guessing the plans are supposed to be 12Mbps, 25Mbps and 30Mbps and its just a mistake/misprint (at least I hope).   I'm a retail dealer in TX and it is showing me the same thing for my area. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3079 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes
Says 12Mbps right off the Viasat website!

We could hope for a lot of misprints in those plans!
Photo of Virgil Teffeteller

Virgil Teffeteller

• 35 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Probably trying to make up for what income they are getting ready to lose in Tennessee, Governor signed into law last year where electric coops can supply internet service now. Could of not came soon enough. Fiber optic suppose to be through my area by next year god I hope so tired of the lies and grandma pace.
Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I'm pretty sure these are going to be the big beam plans on Viasat 2.  The issue with the antennas is a major fubar.  I think they're going try to limp this service to Viasat 3.  Pretty much all of the small beams were reduced in size, our beam by more than 50%.  The big beams now have to take over the capacity that the small beams are falling short on. Their solution is to apparently discourage any upgrades from Viasat 1 and make sure any potential big beam new customers are milked for as much as possible.  If you're lucky enough to be in a small beam, you'll have decent service...big beams...not so much.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1067 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Where do you get your beam size info?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3073 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Not sure, but sounds reliable to me.

Anticipated a small beam over me. There isn't.

I am sure some dealers put there know the true story.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes
Those prices/data levels are...

Not sure who is running the plan/pricing design at Viasat, but good luck with that.

Zip code 43701 pulls up the same plans above. 65 GB of Priority. 12Mbps. $200.

Wow, just wow!
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3057 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
Yeah, I pay 100/mo for 150 GB priority and, Unlimited no hard throttling from my 25 Mbps. Any of those is a huge step backwards - Yuck.

Of course now, in my area only Liberty 12Mbps plans are available which stinks because I have friends and family that would get Viasat if it were the same deal I have. I'd feel horrible referring anyone for less than I have unless they just needed it for email and stuff on their cell phone (no computer)
Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
It comes down to what the damaged satellite is technically capable of.  The big beams are now having to provide service to customers that weren't anticipated.  Slower speeds and higher prices slow the influx of customers.  I suppose they're trying to extend the time at which Viasat 2 big beams become as congested at Viasat 1.  I'm sure some back room bean counters came up with the new big beam plans, but they are certainly not what retailer/installers were informed about months ago.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes
Dlee. You seem well informed. Do you have reliable sources?
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 132 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
The same plans are now available for zip code 23027 in Virginia.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2066 Posts
  • 1008 Reply Likes
Liberty 50 for $100 Is a whole lot more unlimited than Unlimited Bronze 12 (35 GB) for $100.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3043 Posts
  • 1732 Reply Likes
The old 10GB plan with a 5 hour free zone for $50 was better!

Somehow, with each new satellite, plans have regressed in some fashion!

For anybody fortunate to have a free zone or 150GB of priority data, word of advice. Don't "upgrade".
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1064 Posts
  • 344 Reply Likes
If those plans are Viasat 2 plans, I don’t even know what to say. Probably need some sort of official comment on what’s happening and why?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2066 Posts
  • 1008 Reply Likes
Liberty 12 for $50 plus lease is the best deal right now. No true data cap or video restriction.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3043 Posts
  • 1732 Reply Likes
But not available in all locations.

Not available where I live.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 267 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Those plans and prices are absolute trash. Viasat should be ashamed of themselves for even offering them.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3043 Posts
  • 1732 Reply Likes
Not sure who would find these plans appealing.

Michael McDowell

• 433 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
This is almost unbelievable!!   I have been telling people for months to be patient and wait for Viasat-2 to come online.  Everytime they have changed their plans since I went from Liberty 50 to the Gold Unlimited 150 GB plan,  the plans have gotten worse.  This is a Tripple Whammy!!  Less data and lower performance for  WAY MORE  money.  VSU said it best ,  "Wow, just wow!"  This is enough to make cellular Hotspots tantalizing!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3057 Posts
  • 1274 Reply Likes
All I can say is I'm glad I jumped on Unlimited Silver during the three days it was up for grabs in my area. What I'm hearing so far is a disappointment for new plans. People are being asked to pay the same as I pay in my area for 1/3 the Priority data and, half the speed.

Has to get better but, on the plus side, I don't see many new subscribers or, many changing to those plans so, I'll keep my decent speeds at least.

Michael McDowell

• 433 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
But if people don't switch to VS-2 people who are on really congested beams don't have much hope to see improved performance.  I jumped on the 150 GB Gold plan as soon as it was available because I missed the boat when the Freedom plan was offered!  And I am mostly satisfied with the performance on my beam.  The people on the most congested beams have a gun to their head!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3079 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes
Yep. Between a rock and a hard place. Move to 2 and get less priority data, a video resolution downgrader, and pay more.

On the plus side I would get a cooler looking modem!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3057 Posts
  • 1274 Reply Likes
My modem could look like a pile of horse apples for all I care. LOL. It works, I have a decent amount of priority data for what I'm paying, I won't switch to pay the same or more for less. I also have 25 Mbps and the best now here is 12 Mbps. Um, no.

Now give me 150 GB priority, 25 Mbps or better, no video restrictions and, make that 150-175 month, sure but, I'm not changing to anything available in my area now. I dumped Liberty 50 25 Mbps for Unlimited silver and, glad I did while I could instead of holding out for VS2 plans.

Freedom was never offered here, nor were the Gold or Platinum plans, Unlimited Silver was the best my area ever saw. Glad I got it while I could.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3079 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes
But nothing like was expected about 9 months ago...was it Bev?

Glad you got Silver and glad I could get Freedom when I could.

Moral of the story? If you see something good, hop on it now, you never know when it will get worse!
Photo of Aaron Anderson

Aaron Anderson

• 20 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I think viasat is prioritizing the airlines and government contracts.  When they say, there's minimal operational problems with the damaged satellite.  What they mean is they are going to ensure the lucrative contracts are delivered with no degradation at the expense of the non lucrative residential market.

It may end up affecting their earnings marginally because viasat 2 was always supposed to be about the airline and government contracts.
Photo of micheal forse

micheal forse

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The best we can hope for is later this month Viasat releases their quarterly report. Then the boss will be under pressure to the stockholders to tell them what is really going on with viasat2.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 96 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I'm still seeing bronze 12, silver 25, and gold 50, at $50, $70, and $100 promotional pricing.