One Month with 100mbp and this is my results!

• Praise
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Viasat service has been amazing. I have been happy because 90% of the time the speed has been over 100mbps down. The only time it's been bad is heavy storms. We burned over 700gb the first month.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Happy

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 120 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
What does fast.com give you for a speed with video? Is it locking your to 4mb? Can you stream 4k? If so that should be an extra selling point for the Platinum plan.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
As far as I know only 1080p because it says that on plan but I play 4k streaming on Netflix and it's very clear so idk
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3291 Posts
  • 3265 Reply Likes
Overall those results aren't surprising and is how unlimited data and prioritization would/should work - with a handful of Viasat-2 subscribers, there's no prioritization occurring. Enjoy but don't get used to it - most early adopters of Exede were happy also - then they went and did the unthinkable adding more customers and offering unlimited data when there wasn;t sufficient capacity to support it ;)

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2473 Posts
  • 1345 Reply Likes
Yea. If I was burning that much data at those speeds I am not sure how much you want to broadcast that. Thanks for sharing, but as Old Labs is saying, I wouldn't count on this type of performance and usage long term.
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 94 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
It's all about location, location, location,...  This sounds like Viasat2 on a lightly used beam.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1862 Posts
  • 850 Reply Likes
Daaaaauuuuuuuuuuuumn.
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 719 Posts
  • 343 Reply Likes
@>@ just one word... SHOLY KAKS!!! @>@ I WISHED I CAN USE THAT MUCH DATA!!! ;-; but your so lucky ;-; i want that kinda speeds and data ;-; and also i wished i can get that downloads of gbs ;-;
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2509 Posts
  • 1373 Reply Likes
Well that's in a high density spot beam paying over $200/month. The majority of the country neither has that available or willing to pay that much.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yeah I'm wondering how long it will last
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2509 Posts
  • 1373 Reply Likes
It will last longer for you than a majority of us. Many of us will never even have the opportunity, at least until more satellites get launched.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 228 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Most of the country can't get on Viasat 2 or get that kind of performance. Consider yourself extremely lucky.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1250 Reply Likes
Maybe with Viasat 3 or 4 I will see plans like that in my area but, not now. I'm happy for you, just jealous :)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 469 Posts
  • 342 Reply Likes
This opening post has been very enlightening and helps me understand why I got the phone call I did today. Sorry I can't say more but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if folks in the HD beams start seeing their speeds slowed quite a bit after they go over their priority data. The system simply can't handle this type of traffic per customer....that is unless they want to close the beam to new sales. 

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2509 Posts
  • 1373 Reply Likes
I wouldn't hold my breath on that technology.

I know Viasat was trying to get ahead of the curve a little with data usage by implementing Viasat-2. But with its issues, they haven't gained much. Andy is correct, Viasat-3 is just to keep up with existing projected demand.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 469 Posts
  • 342 Reply Likes
Got agree with VetSat...not holding my breath. 

I remember a couple years ago I was wondering if I would still be installing any DTV or Dish systems....after all, in 2 yrs (so I thought) there will be so much bandwidth available, everyone will be streaming everything. 

Andy
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
More of a fan of OneWeb and Space X to make it happen, but it seems to be the only way to bring broadband to the world. It will happen. How long is the real question. Iridium has about 55 satellites up, and they are showing promise. Probably still 3-5 years away in my humble opinion.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2509 Posts
  • 1373 Reply Likes
Not convinced it will happen, at least not in this country. Is it really economically feasible? How many people use satellite internet? 2 million tops?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
If low latency service was available across the globe at affordable rates, dsl would be out of business.

Lots of people rely on cellular hotspots, dsl, and fixed wireless.

Data caps and speeds are the key. Cellular dead spot augmentation, self-driving cars, etc are all big markets for this as well, in addition to stealing military and aviation contracts from other companies. Cable and fiber are the only competitors, but as fast as technology changes, that may not last very long.
Photo of Kurt Mueller

Kurt Mueller

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can't wait till this comes into my area!