My predictions for 2018/2019 plan pricing

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Not Planned
I've watched Exede/Viasat plan pricing off an on for a few years now.  What I've noticed, is data offerings get better over time and prices go down for better service.

About a year ago the lowest priced Liberty plan was $60 a month plus $10 modem rental.  New subscribers got a special 3 month introductory rate of $50 a month plus the modem rental.

Fast forward to the latest Liberty 12 pricing and the regular price is $50 a month plus modem rental.  Basically the latest pricing for Liberty plans matches the 3 month introductory rate that was being offered a year ago.

I predict that in a year or two, there will be unlimited plans similar to what is being offered now but at the current introductory rate.

Bronze Plan might be $50 a month plus modem rental.

Silver might be $70 a month plus modem rental.

Gold might be $100 a month plus modem rental.

That's just my prediction.  I could be completely wrong, but this company has a habit of offering better service for lower prices as time goes on.

Don't worry, should prices drop, people will still complain.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3304 Posts
  • 3285 Reply Likes
I went over and asked Nostradamus on one of his web sites, and got this:

A clear reference to the new bird Viasat-2 being at 45 degree elevation for those on the east coast, causing anguish and mental suffering for those of us on Viasat-1 or those unprepared for higher prices. But I could be wrong...       
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 67 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
now that was funny !
Photo of Concentric Circles

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Those prices are in line with current ones.  I'm already paying as much as I can, and I'm hoping for better service.  Otherwise, I'll have to change to Hughesnet.  It would be a shame if they priced better service out of reach for people who have been waiting so long for improvement. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Remind me not to hire you to do my taxes this year.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3304 Posts
  • 3285 Reply Likes
Believe it or not, that was actually the first one that came up on clicking generate quatrain over at http://www.getodd.com/stuf/nostradamus.html

Concidence???  I think not... I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens. I'm just going to use it for all my replies going forward.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2500 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
I don't think you are far off Stephen, but there will be more plan options than than that, at least in some areas.

That is my prediction :)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2573 Posts
  • 1584 Reply Likes
My prediction, FWIW, is that no matter what plans or pricing is offered, thi forum will still be loaded with people whining and complaining about how bad Viasat is.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3304 Posts
  • 3285 Reply Likes
Winner, winner, chicken dinner as demonstrated by the new post immediately after yours ;)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2500 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
I already know what people will complain about. Should see it shortly once plans are released.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
I’ll probably complain some if the plans or speeds over time aren’t a pretty stark improvement.

We’ve waited along time for this. If it’s disappointing, there is a number of years before more hope.

I’m not expecting 4K unlimited streaming, but I am expecting the service to be better than now. If everyone that currently has the service can’t tell the difference in a month from now, the criticism will probably be deserved at that point.

I have high hopes, but I have for years. Unlimited plans were something I always wanted to see. IF service improves, I’ll be the first to say it.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 966 Reply Likes
Like it is now, prices will largely depend on where you are and what's available (We'll announce plans closer to time but are anticipating some information going out end of the month). When we played our hand and offered Unlimited that was a taste of our focus moving forward as far as where as a company we want to head on offerings. Some options will probably not even require a shift to Viasat-2. 

4K...that's more of a Viasat 3 goal. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Someday I'll own enough stock in VSAT to have a controlling interest.  When that happens, your records will be mine!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
I’ll sell them to you straight up for half.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2500 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
Back on topic, it is my understanding 4K doesn't use as much data as one might expect. Yes, it still uses a lot of data, and more than 1080p, but it us not like 4 times more than that.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
A little more than two times HD. Probably a minimum of 12 Mbps or so (assuming nothing else draining data at the same time). Bandwidth is where we currently get stuck with ViaSat. 25Mbps or higher is generally recommended. I have read where they are trying to compress it though. Likely to get more efficient over time as internet capacity increases.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 966 Reply Likes
A tease sure but it's also on the official page discussing our future goals when mentioning Viasat 3. (keep in mind that's years away like 2020 or so). https://www.viasat.com/products/high-capacity-satellites
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I'd just like to be able to stream 1080p 60 FPS video. There are a lot of streamers on Twitch who use either 1080p 60 FPS or 900p 60 FPS. I have found it isn't possible to watch 480p with the Silver plan on Twitch, unfortunately. I believe it is due to the bitrate that twitch uses for 480p is higher than what traditional 480p is considered :/.  
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2152 Posts
  • 382 Reply Likes
Hi All,  Stay tuned!  Very soon WE WILL ALL KNOW what the new plans are.
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 106 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Can't wait to see what's in store for us! Thank you Diana!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Hints please :).
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2152 Posts
  • 382 Reply Likes
Bradley,  If I could share, I would. The information on the new plans will be revealed in early February!
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 106 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Still for being in the country (sticks) I still get pretty good satellite connection speeds but we'll see, it might be even faster once they get it all up and working. Can't wait, leaving us hanging isn't fun, lol just kidding!Taking speed tests off and on all day and I still do pretty well, don't mean to be mean or tease anyone either just showing I'm a happy customer of VIASAT!!
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2152 Posts
  • 382 Reply Likes
Hi Cindy,  Thank you for sharing. WOW, YOU are getting great speeds!!!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
I can't wait to see people complain about consistent 25+ mbps once Viasat 2 goes live.  I've got my popcorn ready.