Minecraft Server port 25565

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Is port 25565 blocked? I was running an occasional Minecraft Server for my daughter and niece and now my niece cannot connect. Canyouseeme.org shows that my port 25565 is not open. I have my router to port forward to my computer and a firewall rule added to Windows to allow traffic (TCP and UDP) to pass through.
Photo of Charlie Snader

Charlie Snader

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3121 Posts
  • 1100 Reply Likes
Hi Charlie,

Please call us at 855-463-9333 and we can look into this. From my understanding we don't block ports
Photo of Fall Creek

Fall Creek

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same issue connecting to a Minecraft server.  I called tech support, but unfortunately there are no LVL 2 tech's available in the evenings when I am available to troubleshoot.
-ianwilson38@gmail.com
Photo of Lisa Kay

Lisa Kay

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, Exede is blocking Minecraft. My daughter has played off and on since January, which was when we signed up with with Exede. For the last three (or four) weeks she hasn't been able to connect to Minecraft servers such as us.mineplex.com. I called Exede and they confirmed that Exede now blocks Minecraft. No explanation or anything. I wish I would have known Exede was going to do that.....I would've definitely went with another provider. 
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2243 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Hi Lisa,  Please send me you account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com.  I am not aware that Minecraft is being blocked and would like to investigate this.  Thanks!
Photo of Fall Creek

Fall Creek

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was advised that this is a known issue with no estimated time to resolution.
Photo of DP

DP

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When do you plan on unblocking this port??  Ours has been blocked since the first of October and we have been unable to access Minecraft. 
Photo of Holmes

Holmes

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are also interested in knowing when minecraft servers will work..  We homeschool and use Skrafty, a homeschool minecraft server that also has classes that my son is taking.  Please let us know as soon as possible.  We even purchased a new router thinking it was that.  We updated every thing on our computer, and spent many hours trying to figure this out over the last month.  So we are going to be very happy when the issue is fixed.
Photo of Jeremey

Jeremey

• 10 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
For the mean time, you can still connect to Minecraft servers by using a VPN.  Hopefully they will unblock the port soon so that this step is no longer necessary.
Photo of Lisa Kay

Lisa Kay

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Jeremey! I didn't have a clue what a VPN was but I researched it, picked one, installed it and it worked perfectly, immediately connecting to Mineplex.

After I read about the security of a VPN, I'll be keeping it on my daughter's computer even after the minecraft/exede issue has been resolved.
Photo of DP

DP

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any suggestions on setting up a VPN?  Is one better than others? 
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes
The VyprVPN from Goldenfrog is fast, very fast and they offer a free trial.  I have used this one with great results. Cost about $6 plus change per month.

Perfect Privacy is not so fast but offers many technical features some people may want.  This one cost more than VprVPN and it is questionable whether it is worth the higher price. Cost about $16 plus change per month.

Just to show the extremes of what is available.  Gamers will have best results using VyprVPN.
(Edited)
Photo of Lisa Kay

Lisa Kay

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am using EXPRESS VPN at the moment. It's 12.95 monthly. It was very easy to install. This is the first day my daughter has used it, but so far, so good.
Photo of Jeremey

Jeremey

• 10 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
There are a myriad of paid and free VPN services to choose from.  I would suggest looking around and checking reviews on them to find a reputable service that works for you.  

Most VPN services offer multiple locations to connect to.  Normally you would choose the location closest to you, but this likely isn't the optimal choice for a satellite connection.  In this case you would prefer to use the location closest to where the satellite signal is transmitted down to Exede.  Perhaps one of the moderators could tell you where that location is.
Photo of DP

DP

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I guess I will research free ones that don't slow the terrible speeds we already deal with.  I have a big issue with paying extra monthly for something that will allow me to use the internet I already pay a lot for.  Blocking this minecraft port reduces the utility of our service without any compensation, and I hope it gets fixed soon. 
Photo of Lisa Kay

Lisa Kay

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Some are free and some are not. I Installed the first one I read about (not free) to see if it would work. I'm still researching and reading reviews. I might change from the one I'm using.

As far as setting it up, the one I am using (not sure if I can put the name on here) was a small download and setting it up was simply installing it like any other program.