It's Early 2018! Time for New Plans/New Prices

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
We have been promised that new plans would be available in January/February timeframe, but there doesn't seem to be any update on whether that is still true.
Photo of Concentric Circles

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I would like to know:

When will we get new plans?  Personally, I'm still on Wildblue, and usually get 60 kilobits per second (not MB), when it's working at all.

What will the prices be?  I currently pay $60/mo including equipment rental, and $70 is the top of my price range.

What will the caps be on low end and high end plans?

When you go over the cap, what will your speeds be?

IOW, it's time to give us the information.  It's 2018.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

"Patience is a virtue", "No wine before it's time","a watched kettle never boils"  ummm...  I know there are a lot more of these out there but the one that really says it all is...

"All In Due Time"

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
"Due time" was long ago.  Last year, I called and was told that they would have new plans in June 2017.  So considering the lies and/or badly trained staff, the exploding rocket, the demonstrations which required delay, I think an update is LONG, LONG OVERDUE.  Patience is a virtue.  Sitting patiently for years waiting for what may be egregiously overpriced plans while getting 60 kbps is NOT a virtue.  It's accepting abuse. 
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 98 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
When it happens it happens and until it happens it hasn't happened yet. 

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks for the enlightenment. 
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2215 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
HI,  We will have new plans available as soon as Viasat-2 is operational. Look for the new plans in early February

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks (:  Yeah, I looked all over these forums, what you said now is the only update of the sort I've seen.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2137 Posts
  • 1058 Reply Likes
I dropped my phone yesterday. The glass is shattered pretty bad.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2119 Posts
  • 1851 Reply Likes
" Roughly 33 percent of people either lose or break their phone "

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3250 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
It has been discussed on this forum for weeks. It was late January/early February for some time now. Apparently you couldnt find it.

All that being said, don't expect a lot of big changes. The big changes was the unlimited plans awhile back. My NRTC provider has announced their new plans for February. They are worse than what Viasat offers today. Go figure!

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
No, I definitely couldn't find it.  The unlimited plans are far too expensive, and simply not an option for many.  Right now, they have plans for $49, and I would expect them to upgrade those.  If not, they are simply giving lousy service with good equipment.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
We have not formally announced Viasat 2 plans yet but much like it is now plans, availability and pricing will vary by location. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
I am confused as to why plans and pricing would vary on the new satellite. With the ability to transfer load from beams now, why wouldn’t it be an even playing field?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3248 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
You will see shortly if/when a beam map is released.
(Edited)

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
The beam maps have been available for a long time, unless there is something very wrong with the satellite which has caused a change.
Photo of Tim Davis

Tim Davis

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Not a customer but could become one, I have recently moved to Hughesnet in September. Would Viasat take care of my contract If I decided to switch service?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3235 Posts
  • 1859 Reply Likes
Tim. I have had both services. I would recommend Viasat. It would be worth to switch IMHO.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 447 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser:  Just curious, why both services?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3235 Posts
  • 1859 Reply Likes
I had Direcpc/Hughesnet for about a decade. Then switched to Wildblue/Exede/Viasat. Twice I almost switched back to Hughesnet, but Viasat's plans, features, and price meets my needs better, so I never went back in the end.

I am not called Veteran Sat User for nothing :).
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 447 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Am I qualified to join your club?  My first Satellite internet was on a StarBand pilot system!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3235 Posts
  • 1859 Reply Likes
Haven't heard that name in awhile.

If you had Starband, you can join the club!
Photo of Alex Mh

Alex Mh

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I wonder where you guys found $49 plans currently. Plans start from $70 Exede/Viasat here on the West coast, except for few months promotion.  One new thing I noticed - which "might" be the sign of anticipated wider bandwidth with bird #2 - data cap is now raised to 150 G for all plans.

They haven't even fully staffed the offices for planned Latin America expansion (for Viasat 2). A month ago the Cancun office Director's position was still advertised.

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I still have a $49 plan available, which would be $60 after equipment lease.  I switched to an unlimited plan, that is $75 total.  So far, it's working fine after using up priority data.  The only page it won't load is the one to change plans, so I can't give you a screenshot... That's the problem with this company, they make gob-smacking mistakes sometimes, like making their own web page unloadable by their connections.  But everything else works fine lol