I want an option for slower speed, 12Mbps, but HD video not 360p

• Idea
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Not Planned
12Mbps is plenty fast for HD video, or anything else I want to do. I do not want 30, but also do not want to cap my video at 360p. Why isn’t there an option for that? Who needs 30Mbps when your limited on data to 150 anyway? Seems to me these plans were not very well thought out, unless you just want to pay an extra $80 per month to run out of data faster.
Photo of Marc Bryan

Marc Bryan

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3365 Posts
  • 1935 Reply Likes
If you are not on an unlimited plan, turn off the video data extender and you should get HD quality. If you are on an unlimited plan, then you will be restricted to SD quality video.
Photo of Marc Bryan

Marc Bryan

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m on an old plan, but keep thinking of switching to the unlimited, but it seems rediculous to spend an extra 80 bucks just to uncap my video resolution.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3365 Posts
  • 1935 Reply Likes
You mean cap your video resolution. Yes, you will get unlimited video, but at standard definition on the Bronze or Silver plan. Unfortunately, at this time you can't have both.
(Edited)
Photo of Marc Bryan

Marc Bryan

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No I mean uncap. 70 is 360p......150 is 720p
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3365 Posts
  • 1935 Reply Likes
That is the Gold plan that some customers can get for $150.
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2232 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Hi Marc, New plans will be revealed when ViaSat-2 is operational.  Video extender is not on the Unlimited Plans. Each plan has it own video streaming quality. 
Please explain in more details what you are looking for.  You can send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and include your account and contact information.
Photo of Marc Bryan

Marc Bryan

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m looking for unlimited 12Mbps with 720p minimum video resolution.
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 131 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Which as of right now is not an option for you is what people are saying.  Once the new satellite is up and running and they start dishing out plans, then you might be able to, but trust me even then it isn't going to be unlimited like you get with landline service so if that's what you mean by unlimited then you may as well give up on that.  You can probably expect to see bigger data limits on the new plans I'm sure, faster speeds and maybe uncap on video resolution, but we can't be sure about any of that until they release the plan details.  As of right now, with what we do know is that: no you cannot have unlimited 12mbps internet with 720p minimum resolution.  
Photo of Marc Bryan

Marc Bryan

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think you guys do not understand. I can read. I fully realize it isn’t available. At the top of this post it is categorized as an “Idea” not a question.

I appreciate the responses and the speculation as to what 2 will offer, but that’s not what this post is for.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1929 Reply Likes
That option does exist today in certain parts of the country. All depends where you live.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Hopefully Viasat 2 will enable plans priced on speed without, or with optional video throttling and, unlimited data.