Horrible service

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
This is the WORST internet company I have EVER done business with. Slow service can never get on the internet in the evenings bc there's too much traffic they claim. My speed is at .2 and I pay for 30mbs I've never come close to getting even half that speed
Photo of Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
  • angry

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2197 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
What service plan are you on and how much data have you used for the month?

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I am on the unlimited. It has been at the same speeds from the first gb. I'm over 100 gigs now but it was doing the same thing from the first one. It has always been this way I have spent way too many hours of my life with them over the phone but they keep saying the same bs blah blah blah traffic, satellite, etc. If I'm paying for 30 Mbps a month and I'm not even getting half that on their best day then there's a problem. They r lying to people about their speeds. They say unlimited but it is actually not unlimited at all because before this plan I was getting a hundred and 50 GB a month once I switched to Unlimited my speeds went down and never came back up and no one can fix the problem and I have tried numerous times to speak with a supervisor and was never able to get in touch with one they just left me on hold until I finally hung up I'm so sick and tired of this company .2 gbps is completely unacceptable even with slower internet speeds after the hundred gigabytes 2 is not enough speed to do anything at all what is the point for paying for unlimited with speeds like that.
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
i hear u 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 406 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
RE: ".2 gbps is completely unacceptable...When I say my speed I mean it is at 0.2 not 2.0 "

Jenifer...0.2 Gbps represents 200 Mbps...

Extremely acceptable...
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

eh.....  nomenclature, she's doing the best she can.  Most know what she's trying to say.  We hold nobody to perfection here, especially those sincerely seeking help.

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
How is 0.2 acceptable? It absolutely is not, not when u r supposed to be getting 30.0!
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
I think it was a "jab" at your typo.  You said you were getting 0.2 gpbs when I think you meant to say you were getting 0.2 mpbs.

0.2 gpbs would be aceptable, whereas 0.2 mpbs, while technically "up to", would not.

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
And then whenever I call and listen to the automated system it tells me I am now over my 100 GB and asks me if I want to purchase more why would I purchase more if I have an unlimited plan that right there goes to show it is a lie it is not unlimited if I have to buy more internet to get faster speeds because they slow them down after a hundred gigabytes which even before the hundred gigabytes is used my speeds are only at maybe a 4 or a 5 Mbps. But I pay for 30 that makes no sense and what makes no sense as well is the fact that nobody in the entire damn company can tell me why they keep giving me the runaround and telling me a bunch of crap about satellites in the sky I don't care about that all I care about is getting what I'm paying for that is the bottom line and I don't appreciate being lied to either
(Edited)

Shannon Williams

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
lol nice point
Photo of Bob Hansen

Bob Hansen

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I had similar problems until my system failed due to poor installation. A new tech came out, accessed the install and gave it an D-. He replaced the modem, pick-up on the dish, and routed the wiring properly, along with the missing ground wire. This got things working, but still a little slow. The best we could get was 7 mbps from the router. I replaced the router and am now getting a consistent 15 mbps, even during so called "peak" hours. Freedom 150 12mbps plan.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 403 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
I had tech come and it did no good.
Photo of Bob Hansen

Bob Hansen

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I must be the rare exception. Knock on wood. 
Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 43 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hitting 100gb with that speed is impressive, guess you were constantly downloading

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
When I say my speed I mean it is at 0.2 not 2.0
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
How could you have possibly used over 100 gigs if your speeds never go over .2???

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
If I had to guess I would say a little over a year

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
And the only reason I still do business with them is because they are literally the only internet service provider where I live I would give anything to have Comcast back
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2187 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
Well the good news is you have less than a year until you can ditch Viasat without a early termination fee.

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
That is not good news! Good news would be to get reasonable speeds!

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
But that is good to know...bc I will be doing just that if this continues...
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2197 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
I was thinking the same thing. She basically described using all of her priority data and being slowed down during prime time due to congestion.

I'm on a Liberty 12 plan and only get 2 or 3 mbps during primetime when I have priority data left. Of course during the day my speeds are usually 12 mbps or higher. That's how network congestion works.

When I don't have priority data left, my speeds are around 256 kbps during prime time.

If she were to do the same speed test outside of primetime hours, her speeds would be much faster.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Jennifer, here's what to do.....

Send an email to viasatlistens@visat.com and describe your speed situation.  Explain your frustration.  Tell them you have been here to this forum and add a link to this thread.   Request they do a speed test on your system and adjust your priority standing to a level that WILL insure your non-primetime speed is acceptable.

Primetime is just that so some degeneration of speed is to be expected for the time being but an adjustment to your priority will improve speeds even during those times.

I have read your postings here and I applaud your patience.  Now allow Viasat to show that when you email them, you get results.  It may take 2-3 days for action.

When they make adjustments to your service I hope you'll come back and tell us of the improvements, or lack thereof.  

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Thank u very much for that info! I'm actually one step ahead as I have already sent a detailed email to that email address . Thank u again.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
Good!  I mis-spelled in the email address....   Oops., but you got it.  :o)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 407 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
I doubt anything will happen, it never does for me. Good luck
On hold now with them

Shannon Williams

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
good point there lol
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Also by next Wednesday 2/28 Viasat 2 will be available nationally so maybe they could get you installed on that which is a larger satellite then Viasat 1 so it can hold more customers without slowing down
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 403 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
1 week ago:  
Official Response
Viasat 2 is rolling with availability. I'd say in an area with a busy beam that'll be the most likely option
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
They are turning on areas a little bit at a time and will be available everywhere next week
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1929 Reply Likes
Not all beams have came online yet. Patience.

Jennifer Elliott-Meeks

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I have patience! If I had been told from the get-go that this was the case it would not be an issue but the fact that they falsely advertised their speeds of what they project them to be instead making people think these were the speeds right now. That is unacceptable if they were not ready to keep up with their end of their packages then they never should have offered them to begin with
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1929 Reply Likes
May response wasn't towards you, but the other poster.

I agree with you about the packages though. Notice now the "unlimited" packages offer less priority data now. Did they overextend? Probably. Will Viasat-2 help? Most definitely but Rome wasn't built in the day.
Photo of Tony Huguley

Tony Huguley

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I agree. Their customer service so far has been horrible for me. I pay over $100 a month for 50mb, 12mbps speeds. We feel lucky if we get 6 or 7. Usually it is less than 1mbps. I have water in my LNBF on the dish and now can't get them to want to fix that. 
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
These double-post are a nuisance,  they happen to anybody for no apparent reason and sometimes we can click the delete link and get rid of one of them and other times, like today. they stay.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 826 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Tim,

I see you email.  Expect a response soon.
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 51 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Matt B, do you see mine?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 826 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
I sure do!  It's in my queue.  
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 51 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Thanks Matt B.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Jennifer Email customer service, 0.2 mbps  is unacceptable I get at least 4 mbps in the evenings when Im not over my 150gb of data and during the day My download speed is sometimes up to 40 mbps or higher and I pay for 25mbps! email exede they will help u better than calling! Or maybe a simple modem reset will help unplug modem for 3 mins and plug it back in!