Freedom 150 or Unlimited in Central Illinois

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
We currently have Freedom 150 plan.  We stream a lot of video on our Roku using mostly Netlflix and Hulu with some movies on Amazon.  That being said some months we hit that 150 mark and then we are stuck with almost nothing.  (Our phone service also is terrible, so our phone data is of little use)  Resolution is not a top priority for us as we have never even had the option to stream, so although better would be nice, we can live with it.  We currently set our Netflix to the lowest or next to lowest setting.  There is no option on Hulu that I can find, so it runs on whatever it uses. soooo it seems the unlimited would be a good idea for us, but I've also read on several posts that once people switched they had trouble with buffering on things like Hulu.  I've also seen where you can't switch back to Freedom?  Is that everywhere or just certain markets?  Thanks for your thoughts.
Photo of Lanette

Lanette

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1127 Reply Likes
Lanette, I think Unlimited Silver would be a great plan for you. You can change the resolution on Hulu, here's how: http://armstrongonewire.com/Support/Internet/Articles/HuluQualitySetting

I have Unlimited Silver and, Amazon Prime Video streams beautifully, even during peak hours, as does Netflix (which I also have) and, of course YouTube. The only buffering I get is with DirecTV On Demand because I don't want to set my receiver to a lower resolution and, occasionally during peak hours on YouTube

You would be taking the chance that Freedom may not be available in your area in 30 days (minimum time to wait before changing plans again.) Available plans vary by beam (area you live in) and, by the load on that beam form time to time so, all plans may not be available at all times on your beam but, it sounds like you will be happy with an Unlimited plan.

remember that with Unlimited plans, you do have video resolution restrictions but, you will NEVER be hard throttled, no matter how much data you use, just slowed due to being deprioritized after 150 GB IF your beam is very busy at the time you want to use the internet. That means you might see top speed well beyond 150 GB used in off peak hours.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can't speak for Illinois but here in Denver it's the pits. Mind you I've only been on unlimited for 2 days now, but I'm highly disappointed and would go back to Freedom 150 in a heartbeat if I could.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a video buffer, but now I can't watch anything without seeing it buffer at least every 10 mins or so. Getting 480p is a stretch, I see 240p on the Roku more often than I see 480. Hulu is pretty much unwatchable on any setting. Regular data speeds have ranged from .2mps to 8mbps. Web page loads are much slower. Just seems like the latency has increased although ping speeds seem about the same.

I guess I probably make the dreaded CS call and rule out a problem with the new modem.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Lanette, I’m near Peoria and on thw Silver. Where are you?
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I'm near vandalia. I have 25 Mbps Unlimited I love it I think that would be great option only 100 dollars a month
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Also With Unlimited it's also 150 gb cap. Before you could get throttled bandwidth i think I would get 25 Mbps plan or wait For Viasat 2 to come online.in February I think we could get an 50 Mbps Unlimited plan then could even be more like an 100 mbps plan.
Photo of Lanette

Lanette

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm near Springfield. With four people in the house including tow twenty something girls we can go through that pretty quickly. It looked like with the unlimited you would be slowed but not completely throttled like with the Freedom plan. Kinda waiting to se what happens to people when they get to that limit.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I don’t know how wide these spot beams are. We’d be about 60 miles apart. You can see the experience on my beam by searching on “silver” or my username.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2540 Posts
  • 1562 Reply Likes
James, here is the link to the beam maps https://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
After the threshhold our speeds crawl during primetime but are basically normal from midnite to 4pm.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 939 Posts
  • 292 Reply Likes
Not a fan of this at all. Crawling is not experiencing the web in a usable fashion. 1-5Mbps should be the minimum. Sub 1Mbps is unacceptable on an unlimited plan, particularly if it seems to be actually getting throttled to that speed.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1407 Reply Likes
Also seeing posts from a few people that are getting slower speeds with the unlimited plan than they had with their previous plan.  That makes no sense to me.  Nothing should change except when you go over the 150gb. And that should still be faster than the Freedom plan when you go over.  Maybe a few bugs to work out with the software.  (are these people beta testing plans for V2?)
Photo of Lanette

Lanette

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone. Think I'll wait just a bit to see how this goes. The price is about the same, I just want to make sure my service doesn't decrease if I switch.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 334 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
I live just across river in MO and exede sucks. I gave had forv2 years and speeds are terrible.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I have great service and speed. 21mbps on speed test on 25 Mbps plan. Viasat 2 will be better speeds