Freedom 150

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Acknowledged
My plan now is liberty 18. I pay 110.58 with tax. I see i can change to the Freedom 150 plan for 109.99 per month. If i switch do i need any new equipment ?
Photo of Wolf Dog

Wolf Dog

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Greg Ward

Greg Ward

• 18 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have the Freedom 150. No equipment change. It just changes the amount of data alowed which is great for things like streaming TV or Netflix, etc. You will get 150 GB of data. If u exceed that amount the speed drops substantially.
(Edited)
Photo of Wolf Dog

Wolf Dog

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
as of right now i'm using liberty pass. my download speed is 1.50 & upload is 0.50. how is the freedom if one exceeds their data for the month ?
Photo of Lamorris Jones

Lamorris Jones

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
try not to probably none existent.. if if you keep surpassing the 150 you maybe disconnected?
Photo of Greg Ward

Greg Ward

• 18 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I often have exceeded the limit near the end of the month. They have never disconnected me or threatened too disconnect. Have had the plan for over two years.

When amount is exceeded speed drops from 12 mbps to about 1.5 mbps until the next montnly billing cycle begins.
(Edited)
Photo of DebG

DebG, Champion

• 29 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
When I upgraded to the Freedom 150, I opted for the Wifi feature.  Exede sent me a new modem and I returned the old one.  I followed the instructions for the self-install, and everything worked out just fine.  The only negative was I had to wait about a week for the new modem to arrive before the switchover to the new plan could be completed.
Photo of Wolf Dog

Wolf Dog

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
may i ask the total cost with the wifi per month ?
Photo of DebG

DebG, Champion

• 29 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
The total monthly cost for me is $109.99.  I don't know if this varies by location.  Once a year, there is a surcharge of $2.92 called a "Annual Property Tax Recovery Fee".
Photo of Greg Ward

Greg Ward

• 18 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
My total monthly charge with taxes in Hawaii is $114.56. I just have their standard modem. Then have that connected to my Netgear WIFI Router.
Photo of outlaw2u2

outlaw2u2

• 27 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I have Freedom 150 and pay 105.80 in Devers texas, which is between Houston and Beaumont,
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 837 Posts
  • 710 Reply Likes
Wolf, if you have a router you are happy with then you don't need the wifi router and there is no need to pay an extra $10/mon. Be SURE if you change your plan online that you do NOT click on the Freedom 150 with wifi....scroll down and right underneath you will see the plain Freedom 150. Click on it, confirm, your modem will reboot, you're done.

Andy
Photo of Mike Adkisson

Mike Adkisson

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would suggest you watch your usage.  My issue was their meter.  As previosly complained, their records show usage while on vacation with modem off.  Secondly, I have used less internet data in two weeks than Excede said I used in 1 day.  How do you use 2gb in one day?  We do not stream movies or other services that have high data usage.  At some point, I predict their records will indicate you have used your allotment.  I don't trust them.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Windows 10 ( https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/data-contol-with-windows-10
 ) and now iOS (Apple) ( https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/watch-out-for-the-new-ios-update-turning-back-on-auto-downl...) will burn your data on a whim, and can easily burn 2 GB a day if not more.  Other culprits are things like DirectTV "genies" and antivirus programs.  Further, Windows 7 and 8, if not kept under control will be "updated" to become just like Windows 10.  Then, there are the endless loader websites, such as any news site, that keep streaming garbage at you.  Those can also burn 2 GB or more a day if your connection is wide open.  I don't keep my internet connection wide open and those websites will still burn 60 MB an hour even with my speed limit in place.  These are just a few examples of how your data can be burned up on complete garbage.  You simply have to keep tight control of your data.
As previosly complained, their records show usage while on vacation with modem off.
If your modem is off, it can't communicate with the Exede network and will not keep your usage up to date.  Every time, as soon as you turned your modem back on, I'm certain that it synced back in with the Exede network and updated to report your correct usage.  Personally, my usage as reported by Exede has always been in agreement with that shown by the network status window for my network adapter in Windows.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2688 Posts
  • 1688 Reply Likes
Greg, I have had the Freedom plan for 2 months now, and love it. I have been on the Exede plans since April 2012. I has a good router, with traffic monitoring included, and in the 5 plus years, the Exede data meter agrees with what my router is reporting to within less than half a gig.

I would second Andy's advice, do not switch to the Exede WiFi modem, it costs money and many users have been reporting very limited wifi coverage with it.
Photo of Wolf Dog

Wolf Dog

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
checking out different plans , the freedom 150 with wifi has 25 mbps and 150 gb. freedom with out wifi is 12 mbps and 150 gb. my plan has 12 mbps & 18 gbs. so will the freedom without wifi be faster than what i have ? i usually up my data near the end of the month as i have done now
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 802 Posts
  • 665 Reply Likes
If you watch Youtube on your laptop be sure to set the resolution to something like 360 which will look fine on your laptop but not burn through too much data. If your laptops are Windows 10 be sure to look up my thread about setting your connection to metered.

Andy
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
...be sure to look up my thread about setting your connection to metered
You might want to look up the URL for your thread and post it here.  This forum (i.e. get satisfaction) does not have a search feature.
Photo of DebG

DebG, Champion

• 29 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I found this Help article for setting metered data usage in Windows 10.

http://help.exede.net/articles/General/How-to-save-data-when-using-Windows-10
Photo of Wolf Dog

Wolf Dog

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i have windows 7 on my laptop
Photo of DebG

DebG, Champion

• 29 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I have Windows 7 as well.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 759 Posts
  • 386 Reply Likes
Will you need a new modem?  Only if you upgrade to the 25 Mbps speed plan, or one that specifically mentions wifi.
Photo of Wolf Dog

Wolf Dog

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
my price now is 110.58 per month with tax. if i switch to freedom 150 without wifi will my amount be lower , higher , or stay the same ?
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 46 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I have the 25 up and 3 down with the newer modem and the Freedom 150.I had the Liberty 18.I have had no problems at all.Its worth it I pay 120 with tax.I usually have data that is not used.They charge 10 dollars extra for the modem/router its worth it right now to me.Without the modem cost would be 110 of course it will vary from state to state because of different tax rates on sales tax.
(Edited)