Data Usage Problem

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
I just swapped over to exede today and within 4 hours from simply streaming 4 shows and simple surfing social media on 1 cell phone apparently I reached the limit on my data package. I tried to call and speak with a supervisor about the issue and was immediately cut off mid sentence more that 15 or 20 times by her and talked above. I could possibly understand if I was rude to her but never once until the very end did I get rude with her. She offered to have the data usage reviewed or bump me up to a higher package or give me 5 complimentary gigs, with in there rates apparently would last 30 min of surfing social media so that would help me non. I repeatedly asked to speak to another supervisor or someone above her and was never given anyone else. And was repeatedly told I would not be given a call back tomorrow by one. My point is I can watch movies, stream music, social media, and many other things using the data on my phone and never reach no where near 12gigs of data on my phones data plan which is the limit I have for them. And more especially was told over the phone before I signed up that th 12 gig plan would last about 40 hours of Netflix video streaming before being slowed down.what I was not told was I would also receive the worst customer service I have ever recieved in my life by one of their so called supervisors. Or be lied to about how long my data would last each month. I am beyond dissatisfied with this company and would never in my life recommend them to anyone. I would sooner go without internet than do business with them and I will make sure everyone knows my experience with this awful company

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: How do I contact Exede Corporate headquarters?.
Photo of Kaleb O'neal

Kaleb O'neal

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Kaleb. I don't know what package you are on but, 4 hours of video may have used 4 GB or more, depending on the resolution of the video. Social Media also uses a lot of data because of all of the images and videos there. It would be very easy to use 10 GB in no time doing those things.

I am sorry that the phone representative was not helpful for you. Pleas send an email with your account and contact information as well as a request for a usage review and, if you like, a link to this thread so that they can read how the phone representative treated you. That email will go directly to corporate and, they will help you make the most of your service.

While you wait for a reply form that email here are some more data management tips for you.: http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Top-tips-for-new-Exede-customers
http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Maximize-Your-Data
Photo of Kaleb O'neal

Kaleb O'neal

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Well beyond the fact of usage I was told by a representative before even signing on that the 12 gigs would support me through the month with normal streaming of Netflix and the usage of my phones and if it was to run out it would be far later in the month and most definitely not 4 hours after instillation . So that in and of itself was a lie. So by that Being said I swapped over to exede with the understanding it would support normal browsing and streaming for most of the month. 4 hours is no where near a months time.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Kaleb, I'm sorry the sales rep misled you. I assume this was a local sales rep, like through Dish. For some reason, TV installers seem particularly bad for doing that. 

Please email your account and contact information as well as details of what the sales rep told you to exedelistens@viasat.com They will want to know who misled you and, will help you make the most of your service.
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
eliminate it being used on your end, unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the modem and watch your data still disappear.(check it from public wifi or your cellphone plan on dashboard) this has been going on forever and it is not gonna change. sorry if I am being straightforward but it is something that they are not gonna tell you. 
Photo of Antonio Morales

Antonio Morales

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is true. Iv disconnected all my devices and started streaming on my phone. Instead and yet I still go through data. Idk how. This internet is a scam. I'm going to continue my service and track my data. I swear will sue this company if my service is not on point with what I agreed to and pay for.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3121 Posts
  • 1100 Reply Likes
Hi Antonio

Send an email over to us at exedelistens@viasat.com and we'll do a review for you
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3904 Posts
  • 3983 Reply Likes
Can't address any of your customer service issues, but can address the following:

My point is I can watch movies, stream music, social media, and many other things using the data on my phone and never reach no where near 12gigs of data on my phones data plan which is the limit I have for them.
That is true and here's why:

By default, "smart" phones have been historically designed to use less data on cellular connections (more typically metered) than when on WiFi connections based on a faulty assumption that all WiFi is not metered. If you have an Android device (including tablets I believe), it is possible to restrict data usage on WiFi connections as if those connections were cellular. See:

https://www.howtogeek.com/293776/how-to-restrict-background-data-for-metered-wi-fi-networks-on-andro...

or

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-tag-wifi-access-points-hotspots-your-android-device

Not sure about iPhones (in the past they've appeared even more tone deaf than Microsoft on metered data usage issues but perhaps that's changed).

(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Nope, iPhones assume wifi is unlimited and, cellular is metered, no options at all to alter that.
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Actually Bev, I signed up directly the Exede and they sub out to a local contractor/firm to install. The installer provided much more info than the sales rep did. I too was guaranteed 150GB would be more than sufficient after explaining my online/streaming habits. I don't that it's a blatant lie to sign up more customers....but the sales dept definitely needs some real time training.

Kaleb, the most valuable tip Ive received from this board is to reduce the bandwidth on your TV to the barest minimum you can tolerate, you can increase the gigs by almost 10:1, or one hour into 4 of streaming TV/Netflix
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3130 Posts
  • 1103 Reply Likes
That's going to be probably the best thing to do. 150GB will get you quite a bit of usage for streaming but if you cut the cord for example that might be a struggle compared to just watching stuff on a lazy Sunday or a quick show before bed. Reducing the resolution will be a HUGE help and will most certainly stretch that data further. 

ViaSat 2 plans are designed with streaming in mind (wisely so as cable subscriptions are giving way to streaming alternatives) so we're going to have much more flexible options catered to this type of streaming need. Bad news is that it's going to be really early 2018 (still getting the satellite in place and tested, I think the space agency we used aren't giving us control until the end of year if I'm not mistaken) so there's a little wait. Good news is that it's going to really be something I think you'll be happy with. 150GB is a lot but as more online things become normal it doesn't stretch as far as it used to (very much the case with our Classic 10GB plan....you can easily use that in a day). We're all very aware of this, it just takes a little time for us to answer that call with having to launch a satellite.

Alex usually posts updates every so often and our Exede Blog usually has some updates including this by the numbers entry: http://www.exede.com/blog/viasat-2-satellite-numbers/
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3130 Posts
  • 1103 Reply Likes
I personally think saying X amount of data is perfect for streaming is nothing more than an educated guess because streaming habits can be anywhere between 5-6 movies a month or weekend long binge sessions. Streaming services like Netflix will almost always try to go with the highest definition of resolution on default (from their perspective it makes sense to give the best possible stream) however that spells trouble for a metered connection. A single movie can easily eat 3-5GB alone. Not a killer on a Freedom plan but a 12GB plan will sustain some damage with a hit like that.  

Look at another scenario. That show Stranger Things got a lot of buzz and the new season is next month, say you want to check it out. 8 1 hour episodes is pretty easy for the weekend but again that's 16 or so GB being used potentially.  Some cable dramas have about a 12-16 episode season and if it's on NBC, ABC, Fox or CBS those seasons are about 20+ episodes. So streaming can really do a number

With that said, ViaSat 2 plans which we plan to release early next year will be catered for streaming and we'll over much more robust plans that hopefully will cater to a lot of today's streaming habits. 
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
not everyone streams and still this problem has existed since the days of wildblue and it will never change until the fcc steps in and stops takeing  bribes, good thing trump is talking about rolling back some Clinton and Obama things  which I wont get into on here.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3130 Posts
  • 1103 Reply Likes
Mentioned streaming because the OP talked about streaming frustrations
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
can delete that comment I should not have said that on here
Photo of Barbara

Barbara

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I think it is a good comment dont delete it.  This is the most horrible internet service i have ever had.
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Brad, those used to be referred to as "S.W.A.G" or Scientific Wild Ass Guess... just as accurate as educated guess I suppose. ;)
Photo of Scott Baker

Scott Baker

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My "Connection" just went through 18G's in 6 days.  Our normal usage never burns through the entire amount in a month.  Something is broken somewhere.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Scott, the most likely culprits are automatic updates or IOT (Internet of Things) devices, like TV receivers, home automation and so on. If you have checked the settings on all connected devices and, don't have any IOT devices connected, send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com. Request a usage review and, they can give you a better idea of where your data went.
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
you might as well be talking to a brick wall scott google around. this problem has existed since the beginning of this company and it is the same stories over and over, updates,you been hacked,our meter is correct, unplug your Ethernet cable for a week and you will still use up your data.check it from public wifi or cellphone. but they are already caught and don't realize it. wait for the gov rollbacks and dsl will be top dog agin :P
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3130 Posts
  • 1103 Reply Likes
Feel free to email us Scott at exedelistens@viasat.com we can do a data review for you. The problem is everyone is different and how one person uses data isn't going to be the same across the board. We usually mention streaming because 8 out of 10 times that's the big data hog, but other elements such as updates, backups, and so on can be a factor too. We'll take a look for you if you'd like so that we can see what's causing it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3499 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
150GB should be adequate for many people, but is still 40GB below the average a household used in 2016.

I am sure Viasat-2 will provide us some sort of data usage relief, at least that is what the CEO has indicated. There are a few on this board that know what is coming, I expect by January 2018 we should all know, and I am betting the plans won't be as disappointing as what they were upon Viasat-1's inception. Heck the initial plans were set as low as 7.5GB's /month with no free zone! Think how bad that sounds!
(Edited)
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I never go through 10 gig a month on my dsl but on an unplugged exede I go through all of it
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
I installed DTV for a customer today that I had installed Exede for about a year ago. She said she was having problems with data disappearing....it was showing data was being  used when nobody was even home. She had her laptop open. I went into the settings and opened the usage meter, her laptop had used 6.4 gigs, most of which was system related. Then I checked her devices, auto updates and auto downloads was on. Turned off auto updates and set her laptop's connection wifi status to metered. Problem solved.
Now I mention this because in HER mind, something was wrong on Exede's end...that is before I showed here WHERE that data was going. She was VERY thankful and referred TWO customers to us....accounts are already built and I'm installing them next week.

Andy
Photo of Barbara

Barbara

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
i will contact them and see what they can do for me.  I would think that UHC would have the best VPN available.  I still think it is satellite because when it is stormy or raining the reception is horrible.  I just dont like this because it does not pop up immediately when you clink on something.  even my personal computer is sooooooo slow and i have alien ware and play  MMOs online it lags so badly i cant even play the game since i moved here and have no choices for internet except exede.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Latency of 800 ms is still under 1 second. I do understand that it does affect gaming, but I play several MMO games and, it isn't that hard to adapt to a slight lag.
Photo of Barbara

Barbara

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have done all that i can to get this to work for me.  I think that exede is taking advantage of the RURAL people.  I am only 1 mile from the city limits and i cant get anything here.  When i bought this house in early spirng the seller said they had CABLE so dumb me thought that EVERYBODY in the world has broadband.  UGH.  I also place MMO games and that is not my problem but the data usage IS a hugh problem.  My job depends on it.  My bill for September with Exede was $800.00 plus.  I do not know where that came from i bought extra data twice and that would not have added up to $800.  For sure i am speaking to the highest up person that i can before i pay that bill.  But they have me by the balls cause i cant get ANYTHING else here and probably never will.  So, i WILL talk to an Attorney about this if they dont help me with seeing what this bill was about.  This is affecting my job and my LIFE.  I actually bought an extra satellite for my job.  Yeah that is an extra $150 or so a month but $300 for two is better than loosing your job and being homeless.  I have written an email to President Trump about this but im sure it will go into file 13 just like all the rest.  My point is: HEY EXEDE STOP TAKING ADVANTAGE OF PEEPS!  If it were just internet i would not have a problem but this is my life and the ability to sustain a roof over my head.  My husband is very sick and unable to work, trying to get diability and you all know how that is.  Sorry for the long messege but this is killing me. 
Photo of Barbara

Barbara

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If anyone can help me with any advise i would really really appreciate it. 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Barbara, Based on the price you are paying, I assume you have two 50 GB plans. With being online for work, depending on what your work involves, that is going to be close to being enough data. You need to run a media blocker like UBlock or UBlock Origin (whichever one your preferred browser supports.) You need to configure your operating system, graphics driver control centers, game updaters and, every other program you have installed NOT to check for or download updates unless you manually tell it to do so.

If you use Windows 10, you need to make sure that updates are only shared with your LAN, not over the internet. Turn off live tiles on the start menu for Windows 8 and, 10. Right click each tile to do that. Turn off auto start options like game launchers and anything you don't have to have running when you start your computer. 

Limit video as much as possible, do not connect smart TVs or TV receivers. Turn off cloud usage on ALL connected devices. Do not connect mobile devices unless you absolutely have no other choice. (ie you need a file on your phone or tablet for work.)