Data Usage Major Issue // 4.2gb in ONE Day // $487 Bill.

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

Exede and fellow customers. 

This will be less of an issue as soon as we cancel this service, but this is why I'm pissed off:

ONE day in to our billing cycle. This has never happened. We have had our account since last November. 

Just called customer service and here is what they are saying my usage is:

100% of 4.2gb is for " Marketplaces " - Marketplaces!?

The woman who helped me, who's name is Takeishea, was actually really helpful and immediately said that what she is looking at makes no sense at all. She offered to credit the 4.2gb and then said she needs someone to look at this because something is clearly wrong. 

She puts me on hold for about one minute. She comes back and says, ' I know you dont want to hear this, because i see the notes on your account, and I dont want to have to say this to you, but my supervisor has advised me that there must be an issue on your end, and says it must be hackers...' 

HACKERS.

SO, the plot thickens.... When I ask her for a phone number to Exede corporate office, she puts me on hold - still wanting to really help me - and then says she is not authorized to provide that information and instead offers me a FAX number. 

I tell her I will google it while having her on the phone, and ask her for the formal company name. She tells me.. APAC. 

Exede customer service is actually a third party company called APAC, based out of Denver.

So, It is not surprising at ALL that they have no solutions and zero technical support. 

Do not expect any technical support or educated answers. YOU ARE CALLING AN UNTRAINED CALL CENTER THAT ONLY HAS PRE-PLANNED ANSWERS. 
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
  • Amazingly frustrated.

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Just spoke to our CTO - a $100k+ software engineer and server tech - and he says it would be humanly IMPOSSIBLE to use 4.2gb of data in 8 hours based on the type of work we do here. This company is criminal. 
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
We dont watch hi def movies on our network. We use this service called Gmail; have you heard of it?
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I have no way of knowing if it's happening but it is  wrong to say it is IMPOSSIBLE. Are your absolutely certain none of the employees watch a little You-Tube on their break? What about any files that might be attached to your emails? I assume you have already ruled out any automatic upgrades or cloud backups going on - Right? At least 90% of the time you will find any "mystery" data usage is from the customer's end. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
We've ruled out background processes, no dropbox synching, no streaming audio and video policy unless strictly related to work, which is VERY little. Secure network. We regularly change our password. No peer to peer file sharing, no netflix, hulu, pandora, spotify, etc etc. We have a 10mb file attachment limitation as a standard setting on our email. Most of what we do is send email and update basic websites that are server side php scripts... its like clicking save, make a change, click save, etc etc... or send an email, write another one, send an email... 

We have 3rd party network monitors on the Windows PCs [ 2 ] that we have here... and they use like 40 - 100mb in a day. The other computers are mac, and we have disabled automatic updates, software updates, etc etc. network activity is honestly very low. 

None of it makes sense. You sound like you're probably a pretty smart guy... do you know how many emails you would have to send [ without attachments ] to use 4.2gb in one day... ? Or how many basic web pages you would have to load in 6 hours to use that much data... and we're not talking facebook or other sites that load videos in the background... we have that disabled too... 
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Hey Jeremy, I'm in the ViaSat corporate office and I've escalated your issue here in Denver. If you can just hang on a bit we'll figure it out. Email me your phone number and I'll make sure someone calls you: alex.miller@viasat.com
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thank you. I would love to get some actual help. I have emailed you, as requested. 
Photo of Teresa

Teresa

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Why do you have an almost $500 bill that's crazy too!!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.