Compatible modems

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I was told I can use my own modem and any are compatible. Yet when I start shopping sellers say they are not compatible. Can you give me some brands/modles that will worl with viasat?
Photo of Dwayne Richards

Dwayne Richards

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3132 Posts
  • 2017 Reply Likes
Only the Viasat modems will work, and must be provided by Viasat. You can but them on eBay and Amazon, but you cannot get them provisioned to function on Viasat.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2019 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Whoever suggested this may have been referring to routers, not modems.  People often transpose the names of the two devices.  You can use a 3rd party router, but like Steve said, the modem must be provided by ViaSat, and only ViaSat.    
Photo of Dwayne Richards

Dwayne Richards

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks. ViaSat sales people told us that, they need to fire them and get people that know something about the equipment and what they offer. We were told 1)they would add a modem in main house and router in guest house, installer said they don't do that. 2) the plan we would get would be 300 dbps download and 50 upload, the website says 100 download in some areas and we are getting 50 downliad and 2 upload. Now I need to figure a way to get internet to guest house because wifi signal won't got the 75 feet to it.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 937 Posts
  • 587 Reply Likes
I question what you were told and what you understood. Sounds like you are talking about a router not a modem.

The installers responsibility ends with getting the dish and modem installed. No more.

As far as getting internet to the other location, there are plenty of network extenders out there to do what you want.