Can I buy the Exede modem that I've had since 2012?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
I signed up for Exede in 2012 and I've had the same modem since the beginning. I have to pay a little over $10 per month (sales tax here is high) over my monthly service fee along with my state's internet tax (which they call a "fee" to get around the fact that it is illegal to tax internet). When I first switched to the Freedom plan, the customer service agent gave us a $10 discount for a year, but that expired.
What we have paid in rental fees for the modem has no exceeded the value of the modem. Is there any way I can purchase the modem or get the $10 per month discount again?

On a side note, will any of the Unlimited plans be available in my area? The Tier 2 plan seems to be about the same price as my Freedom plan and it would allow me to download the Sims 4 expansions I purchased without worrying about going over the limit.

TL:DR ? Breakdown:
1. May I please purchase the modem that I've had since 2012? If Yes, then how? Else #2.
2. May I please get the $10/month discount again for another year?
3. Will the new "Unlimited" plans be available in my area? If Yes, then how can I switch from Freedom to the new plans?
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 194 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2136 Posts
  • 1129 Reply Likes
1. No you can not.
2. Doubtful
3. You want to give up the Freedom Plan so you can download game? I would not recommend giving up the Freedom Plan. Once you give it up you can't get it back, and unlimited isn't really unlimited. You get so much priority data and then you will be subject to slower speeds, depending on beam utilization.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1767 Posts
  • 779 Reply Likes
I never said it would. What I meant was, people on Viasat 1 will see reduced congestion as people are moved to Viasat 2.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2136 Posts
  • 1129 Reply Likes
Who exactly is going to move to Viasat-2? Looking at the packages being offered, why would you? Is somebody going to give up their "unlimited" for less "unlimited"? I certainly hope nobody gives up their Freedom plan if they don't go over 150GB/month.

Now, will Viasat move existing accounts? That takes money. Not sure they will. Perhaps new accounts, and those that want to spend more $$$$ to get Gold or Platinum Plans, but that is $100+ plans.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2540 Posts
  • 1562 Reply Likes
There will be some that move to VS2 just to get the higher speeds. For whatever reason, they are obsessed with speed. Others will want the Platinum plan so they can stream in 1080P. Fortunately those of us already on the Freedom plan have that privilege at a  much lower cost already, and would not find it worthwhile to switch to the VS2 plans as they appear to be currently.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
Yes, we really are fortunate that we were able to snag the rare Bigfoot of plans, Freedom.  It obviously didn't work out for Viasat to continue that plan, to much data with to much resolution.  We must always appreciate and hug our Freedom plan!  
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 194 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
I am certainly glad we got it. My mother loves to watch those Dr. Pimplepopper type vids and it makes her happy. We were struggling with the 10gb/month and free period plan. And for the first month or two that we had Freedom, we told my brother that we only had 50Gb to make him limit his usage. He griped up a storm and then found out it was 150 and now he's happy. He downloaded some stuff from steam. I just downloaded three sims4 expansions.