Blocked TCP/UDP ports 123, 433, 500, 4500

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
I have an ATT 3G MicroCell which has been working perfectly for about 24 months. On Wed, 2/18/15, it lost its ability to communicate with the internet. After much searching, it was determined that the 4 ports required for its functionality are now blocked. How does one go about opening those ports?
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have spoke with tech support, who states that they neither open nor close ports. I would like to know if the ports 123, 433, 500 and 4500 are left open or closed by default?
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
The number I provided is not for our front-line Technical Support, but our Technical Escalations department. Please give them a call for port assistance.
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Since we can't get through to that department, can you please forward them the following requirements that will allow the Microcell to function again. Thanks.
Procedure 

NOTE:  Please be advised that the router manufacture or the ISP provider will not provide support for AT&T Microcell, but they can assist with configuring the router settings.

• DHCP is on
  • Data is not restricted from passing through ports 4500 and 500 (AKA Port Blocking).  
  • MTU size is set to 1492
  • MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the AT&T Microcell
  • IPSec Pass-Through is Enabled
  • Block Fragmented Packets is Disabled
  • If using multiple routers, the Microcell must be connected to the first router connected to the broadband modem
  • If the Microcell is connected to a router that is connected to a modem and both the router and the modem have NAT (Network Address Translation) enabled, disable NAT either in the router or the modem.
  • Ensure the modem / router is using the latest software (firmware). Please see the manufacturer's documentation.
  • TCP/UDP Ports
    NOTE:  All ports listed need to be configured for inbound and outbound connections.
    • 123/UDP: NTP timing (NTP traffic)
    • 443/TCP: Https over TLS/SSL for provisioning and management traffic
    • 4500/UDP: IPSec NAT Traversal (for all signaling, data, voice traffic)
    • 500/UDP: IPSec Phase 1 prior to NAT detection (after NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used)
    • 4500/UDP: After NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used

Photo of Johnson Family

Johnson Family

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can confirm (by testing) that these ports are in fact open (in the general sense, unless they are blocked for specific IP addresses):

• TCP/UDP Ports
    NOTE:  All ports listed need to be configured for inbound and outbound connections.
    • 123/UDP: NTP timing (NTP traffic)
    • 443/TCP: Https over TLS/SSL for provisioning and management traffic
    • 4500/UDP: IPSec NAT Traversal (for all signaling, data, voice traffic)
    • 500/UDP: IPSec Phase 1 prior to NAT detection (after NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used)
    • 4500/UDP: After NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used
Photo of Johnson Family

Johnson Family

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also encountered the exact same problem on the exact same day.
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have tried that number 3 times, and after the automated dialog said hold for the next available... it disconnects after 10 seconds.
Photo of Johnson Family

Johnson Family

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
still disconnecting, I guess they aren't really that interested in hearing about problems
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Brand new uint has the same problems. If you think about it, this is a simple product - a radio and an IPSec tunnel into the ATT network. I will get on the ATT side of things to find out where this tunnel is supposed to go, and see if we can reconnect.  Thanks for your help, I'll keep in touch.
Photo of Johnson Family

Johnson Family

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Packet capture shows:

172.26.241.1:29169 (sctp) [this is private address space, so I'm not sure why it's hitting my network, perhaps because the tunnel endpoint is not established so it's following the default route]
12.230.209.137:443 (https)
12.230.209.133:123 (ntp)
12.230.208.133:123 (ntp)
12.230.209.5:123 (ntp)
12.230.209.134:4500 (ipsec NAT traversal)
12.230.209.134:500 (isakmp)

It also does misc ARP requests to announce itself on the network, but that's not relevant.

I verified that all three NTP servers are responding appropriately.  At least in my case the AT&T rep indicated it was an IKE authentication failure.  I can see that attempted over and over, but can't really tell what's it's doing (ports 500/4500):

09:48:27.680056 IP 192.168.1.249.isakmp > 12.230.209.134.isakmp: isakmp: parent_sa ikev2_init[I]
09:48:28.423738 IP 192.168.1.249.4500 > 12.230.209.134.4500: NONESP-encap: isakmp: child_sa  ikev2_auth[I]
09:48:28.423804 IP 192.168.1.249 > 12.230.209.134: udp
09:48:38.390248 IP 192.168.1.249.4500 > 12.230.209.134.4500: isakmp-nat-keep-alive
09:48:38.425314 IP 192.168.1.249.4500 > 12.230.209.134.4500: NONESP-encap: isakmp: child_sa  ikev2_auth[I]
09:48:38.425358 IP 192.168.1.249 > 12.230.209.134: udp

Anyway, maybe that's useful info.......
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I brought the old unit into my office and authorized it on a T1 based network. It worked perfectly, and the whole process took just a few minutes. I have another Exede feed in this building, and I will try to get it tomorrow. Seems like an Exede problem, not ATT.
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you do a search on 12.230.209.134 one finds similar problems, dating back to 2003, on different equipment and different networks. The general consensus is that the problem has something to do with fragmented packets and the way they are handled. Hopefully someone, either ATT or ViaSat can adjust the settings. There are several suggestions in some of the more technical posts out there.
Photo of Johnson Family

Johnson Family

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It doesn't appear to be blocked ports, it seems that the microcell is trying to reach 172.26.244.1 and that is completely blackholed via Viasat networks.

$ traceroute 172.26.244.1
traceroute to 172.26.244.1 (172.26.244.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  openwrt (192.168.1.1)  0.413 ms  0.494 ms  0.587 ms
 2  * * *
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  * * *
 7  * * *
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * * *
21  * * *
22  * * *
23  * * *
24  * * *
25  * * *
26  * * *
27  * * *
28  * * *
29  * * *
30  * * *
$

However, when I run the same test outside of Viasat, I get a better trace, but it still terminates prematurely. 

$ traceroute 172.26.244.1
traceroute to 172.26.244.1 (172.26.244.1), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  REDACTED (REDACTED)  0.366 ms  1.907 ms  1.882 ms
 2  ae2.car02.dllstx2.networklayer.com (67.18.7.93)  0.242 ms  0.237 ms  0.207 ms
 3  po102.dsr02.dllstx2.networklayer.com (70.87.254.85)  1.815 ms  1.791 ms  1.775 ms
 4  po22.dsr02.dllstx3.networklayer.com (70.87.255.69)  1.667 ms  1.653 ms  1.568 ms
 5  * * *
 6  * * *
 7  * * *
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * * *
21  * * *
22  * * *
23  * * *
24  * * *
25  * * *
26  * * *
27  * * *
28  * * *
29  * * *
30  * * *
$

I'm pretty tempted to blame this one on AT&T.
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just hung up with AT&T and they don't recognize that ip address. I am going to get a new unit tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Your internal firewall you are using to access Viasaat may be blocking ICMP traffic, so don't assume that just because you cannot do a traceroute that the IP is blocked.  Can you traceroute successfully to other IP addresses and get full results?
Photo of Johnson Family

Johnson Family

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
yes
Photo of Johnson Family

Johnson Family

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It won't trace because it's part of RFC1918 address space.  I guess the real question is why a microcell would be trying to contact any server on this address space.  Perhaps it's because the microcell creates a tunnel and this is the endpoint. 

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes

Dog gone it.  I must be tired, Johnson Family gets geek of the week award for catching the fact it is a private IP address (RFC1918) and hence the reason it is not reachable.  Good catch.  Hopefully they will get you straight with this.

I know with dealing with Verizon and Comcast both, they will put blocks in their systems that we have had to go to Level 3 techs to get information. Clients are yelling at us because something that worked yesterday doesn't work today and it was the ISP changing something that most of their front line support folks didn't know about.

Good luck.

Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I posted the ATT solution stuff above. The tech said that there is no built in ip addressing, so that address must be left over from something else. He suggested a hard reset (the little button) which I had already done several times. We shall see if a new unit does the job.
Photo of Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Let us know if you find a solution

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I just setup a connection to my work network using the Shrewsoft VPN client to a hardware VPN firewall and it connected and worked just fine.  The internal network addresses are in the 10.X range so they are in the 10/8 RFC 1918 network and I can work and ping just fine.  The ports used from the client to the hardware device are 500 and 4500 so it would appear at least those two ports are allowed through my Exede connection.
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did something similar myself. I have a dual WAN Cisco router at work, and the second WAN on it is a different Exude feed. When I get back on Tuesday, I will try connecting through that, as the primary WAN connection through the T1 worked just fine. I will also do a packet capture like Johnson above. Has anyone spoken to Exude tech support lately?

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes

I will post any future information here so no more double posting.  This thread has the most info in it.  Here is what I posted in the other thread:

This is an interesting read - seems it has happened before.  Read about half of it, but seems to have been tied to a firmware update on the modems at some point.  If Viasaat recently updated modem firmware on their systems on the same day, that might explain it.  It is a LOT to read through, but perhaps someone can reference this and get the fix rolling more quickly. 

Hope this helps a bit.

http://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7067.html

(Edited)
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I sent the following email to exedelistens@viasat.com referencing this thread

There is a great deal of technical detail in the thread. It seems as if the ports are open, but the key exchange to open the tunnel is failing. There are at least 6 others in the same position who are posting, and it seems this also happened in 2013. Link to the old post is:

http://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7067.html

My contact information is below. Please advise and post if possible. There are a lot of angry customers, especially over the silence.

Perhaps if other do the same, we can get this escalated as there is clearly nothing we as end users can do to fix this problem.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
actually they aren't being silent.  If you look over on the old wildblueworld forums, one of the exede engineers is talking directly to a couple of at&t customers, getting their info (in private message) trying to work out the issue.  He stated that exede actually purchased MicroCell units, and are trying to work out the issue.  Personally, to me, that's far above and beyond what most companies would do.  Most would simply tell you that they can't guarantee any third party product will work, sorry.
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was hoping for a post in this forum, as one of the Exede employees replied once.
Photo of RusRiver Man

RusRiver Man

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here in Rural California, with the same problems as outlined still no resolve.
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any further info? I am having the same problem, and still have not heard anything anywhere where this has been solved.
Photo of ExedeNeil

ExedeNeil, Official Rep

• 41 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Hi All. I have been looking at the ATT microcell issue for a few weeks now. If you get a chance, please see the thread at https://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/showthread.php?8836-ATT-Microcell
Several customers had similar issues and for some of them, things started working in the past two weeks.

My diagnosis so far is that the handshake between the Microcell and the ATT servers works with certain ATT servers, but not with others. There seems to be an issue with IPSec key exchange handshakes and packets larger than 1500 bytes sent by some servers, which the microcell probably rejects.

If you can send me your account number or the modem MAC address by private email on the wildblue forum (this forum does not seem to have a private email facility), I can inspect your modems and see if your modem has similar symptoms.

Of course, you have to make sure that you have opened ports 500 and 4500 on the router, as described in the ATT microcell web site http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110286&cv=820. Exede does not block these ports.

We are looking into various options on how we can make this work. Will keep you posted as we make progress. Meanwhile, restarting the microcell may help, if it manages to hook up with a different ATT server.

ExedeNeil

Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have registered for the other forum, but I don't see your address to send a private email. Please provide an email address or link so I can send you the info. Thanks!
Photo of Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Click on his name and the option for Private Message shows up
https://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/showthread.php?8836-ATT-Microcell/page8
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks. Got it!
Photo of mowades

mowades

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ViaSat is working on a fix and the preliminary tests look promising. Hopefully, this will be resolved very soon!