Beam 340 - Monroe, Louisiana

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
My parents own a piece of property in Pioneer, Louisiana (close to Monroe) and will probably be moving up there in a year or so.

Me and mom go up there once in a while and there isn't a high speed internet option.  Mom barely gets 3G service on her AT&T phone and there is no signal whatsoever with Sprint or T-Mobile.

I used to have a Verizon phone when I would go up there, and if memory serves me correctly, it couldn't get high speed internet either.

DSL through the phone company is out of the question.  The phone lines at this property don't even support touch tone dialing.

So that means, when the parents move up there, they will be looking at an internet based option for internet.

I'm just curious if anyone on beam 340 can chime in and say how the service is.  Of course, by the time my parents are up there permanently, Viasat 2 should be in full swing.

Comments?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2288 Posts
  • 1146 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Rick Smith

Rick Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm on Beam 340 and it's great most of the day but slows to a crawl during prime time (6pm - 12am) which is terrible for people who work all day. It's also pretty slow on weekends.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2288 Posts
  • 1146 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info. When you say slow do you mean less than 1 mbps when you still have priority data or are we talking something like 1 to 5 mbps during primetime?
Photo of Rick Smith

Rick Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Usually less than 1 mbps. The best I've gotten during primetime is about 1.3 mbps but that's rare. I'm on a Freedom plan and I've never gone over my priority data.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2288 Posts
  • 1146 Reply Likes
Gotcha.  Sounds a bit more congested than the beam I am on but still usable.  It will be interesting to see what options are available once mom moves up there, but its good to know how things currently are.  Thanks again.