ask a question

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

how can two computers going to email and facebook 3 or 4 times a day use 10 gigs in 10 days and no we do not watch movies
Photo of john french

john french

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi John,
Well, computers are able to use that many Gig's in that many days, easily.

Do you watch videos on Facebook? Do you use downloads from your email? Are you running Window 8? Do you have Direct TV? Do you have any other connected devices like , cell phones, tablets, game consoles, etc.

We have been finding many things that eat data in the background without the users knowledge.

Maybe you can fine some help by reading this post:https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/data-usage-tips

Hope it helps, please post back if you find some issues.
Everett 
(Edited)
Photo of Justin Mercier

Justin Mercier

• 15 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I heard that Facebook now downloads all the videos to precache them whether or not you ever play them. Just going to someone's page or even an individual post will download videos embedded within them.

Of course, even then 10gb seems a bit much in such a short time, but you may want to try FlashBlock for Firefox or Chrome and see if that helps.
Photo of Justin Mercier

Justin Mercier

• 15 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
See the following links which help explain the problem:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetec...

https://www.facebook.com/help/communi...

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Very good info Justin! ☺ A lot of people just don't realize this is happening to them.

Thanks again for the link's.
Everett
(Edited)
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi John French,

I can over your data usage with you and find out where your data is being consumed.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.
Photo of Goatreich Sturmkaiser

Goatreich Sturmkaiser

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I think it's time Exede acknowledges 10GB's isn't enough internet for even the casual internet user these days. 

I'm convinced they know this, and that's why they introduced the Evolution Plan. A ponzi scheme to milk another $15 out of already disgruntled customers.

Lets face it, the main source of network congestion is not from people simply "browsing the web" but from people downloading huge files and streaming video. The Evolution Plan gives you free web and email, but shouldn't we all get free web and email? Especially when you consider what we're paying, and that 99% have never even gotten close to seeing the speeds being advertised.

Is it fair to block me from looking at the weather, checking my bank statement, or allowing me access to the login pages of my Web Hosting and Blog Administration areas the very instance I go over 10gbs? I literally get locked out of my entire business when I go over my cap, and my speeds are restricted to well below dial up speed. On average 30kps with constant disconnects, broken pages, and block scripts. Yet they keep telling me when slowed it's still better than Dialup or DSL.... Well anyone who's reached their data cap just once, already knows that claim is total bullshit!! 

We're all paying nearly double than most internet subscribers , and all we get is half-assed highly restricted service, and empty promises that it will get better soon (Either by upgrading or waiting for "new features" they keep mentioning on forums, but never give an ounce of info on what they are or when they'll be implemented. 

I've already been in contact with my local TV News station (WNEP) who does a weekly feature where they investigate companies that don't deliver on their promises, exposes them, and call them out on TV to make a change or start being honest with their customers. Unsurprisingly, I wasn't the first to bring this to their attention, and they're already working on a piece. I gave them my contact info, photos of all the packaging trash the installer left on my roof, as well as the names of my neighbors who also use (and are dissatisfied with) Exede. I would encourage anyone who has a local news station that has a similar feature, to call in and start voicing complaints as well.

Complaining on the phone and forums is obviously getting us nowhere. Making our complaints public and getting the press to start hounding and exposing the real "service" Exede is providing its customers is the only way to motivate this company to fix its faults at this point.
(Edited)

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Goatreich,
I think we are all with you with the want of lower prices and a higher data cap. Just makes sense and I agree, in today's visual internet offerings, having to watch the data getting eaten from our bag of Gig's is frustrating.

I might not agree with the speed issues as advertised. I actually average more than is advertised  12 down/ 2 up, 80% of the time.

Also, in your comment about the installer's trash left on your roof. It's not good, but it's not all of the installers either. The lack of customer care and craftsmanship can and does effect all skilled labor outlets. That part of your complaint should be directed to the installer, who is only a sub-contractor of the Exede services and likely a local internet service provider in your area for Exede and other satellite services. Not an Exede employee.

As for not getting any help on the phone from Exede, we have several members that had the same issues, but did get help for the Exede rep's here on the forum. I suggest you make contact with one of them and explane your problems. They do usually provide some help to the customers that email them with a request.

Write them here: exedelistens@viasat.com

Hope it helps,
Everett
Photo of David Culver

David Culver

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wish I would of stay with www.HughesNet.com I was told Facebook didn't use data usage by the sale rep but I went though 9 G in 8 hours and when I called they pretty much blamed it on me.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi David,
Did you have your Facebook settings set to not auto-open videos? This is a known eater of Gig's. And, 9 Gig's in 8 hours did not happen just form being on the Facebook site.
I can watch movies for 8 hours straight and maybe burn through 9 Gig's.

Read this warning for customers:
Online activities such as viewing Websites, checking email, watching video clips or similar short streaming media, and automatic software updates are unlikely to cause you to exceed your monthly Data Allowance.
Can't say you where not warned.

The apples and oranges difference between Exede and Hughes are minuscule. A little this for that. And bonus this instead of that. It never ends due to marketing specials.

Satellite service sucks no matter who your with. We are where we are (boondocks) and these are our choices. Is it yin or yang? Until someone sends up a new beer can into space, these are the internet connections for remote areas.

Oh! That warning above. It's straight from the Hughes Fair Access Policy. I'm sure Exede has a similar one also.

If it moves, makes noise, or flashes, it's burning Gig's. This is your 2nd warning.

Hope it helps,
Everett

EDIT: Here is the same thing about HughesNet: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/specific_search/HughesNet
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.