480p on Unlimited Plan is Awful!

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Solved

It seems VERY wrong to pay for the highest quality plan and to be limited to 480p for streaming video.  480p is NOT DVD Quality! It's tablet quality ONLY! We understand the reason and can see that 780p or 1080p certainly cuts into the band with BUT when most of a Netflix show running at 780p is restricted to 480p by Viasat- IT IS awful! Images are completely disrupted and it is horribly disappointing!  You should release the option to choose to run video at the 3 different levels (480p, 780p and 1080p).  We have been customers since 2008- as long as it has been available in our area) IT is highway robbery to let us choose to finally have an unlimited plan but STILL LIMIT us!!! Wrong-Wrong- Wrong! We live in a rural area where our only choice is Viasat or Hughes Net...  We are pleased there is finally an unlimited option BUT we shouldn't be limited on the download streaming speeds: WE DESERVE the option to choose like the lower level plans... bottom line they limit you to 150GB anyways!

Photo of THoefer

THoefer

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • so frustrated

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Hello THoefer

I definitely understand the concerns. When we offered our unlimited plans we wanted to give people the one thing we've heard complaints about for years upon years (more data). In order to do that we had to optimize plans for different resolutions. Unfortunately at the end of the day it's still satellite internet and there are limitations, namely bandwidth capacity. So these unlimited plans would allow us to offer unlimited data but if we didn't have the resolution optimization in place, we likely will see our performance tank. So by doing resolution optimization we can offer a plan that can allow activities like streaming to happen without killing data plans.

With that said, we are hoping to expand options for higher resolution in the next month or so once Viasat-2 is open (even if you are not on the new satellite) to include like our 720p resolution option in places that the Silver 480p is the highest option. 

With that said official details on plans and availability will be released at the end of the month. 
Photo of THoefer

THoefer

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Please see below comment

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3256 Posts
  • 1870 Reply Likes
In other words expect the Gold plan at 720p to be available everywhere.

But I agree with the OP. If you allocate 150GB to the account, let the user decide how they want to burn that data.
Photo of THoefer

THoefer

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

My guess will be the Gold plan will be even more expensive yet. Here's hoping they come through.  I am looking at running a cloud based part of my business from home and have to worry that the 480p is going to limit my ability to do that.  It won't have video streaming as such - but it will be like working on QuickBooks online and I am so hoping that it won't be a problem with this type of limitations.

Photo of logbuilder

logbuilder

• 8 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I've been a satellite internet customer for 10+ years. First on Hughesnet and then Wild/Blue/Exede/ViaSat. For the longest I had a 10GB cap. Later upgraded to the 25GB plan. I found myself managing to those caps way more than I wanted to. And it was impacting family too. Just a week ago upgraded to the Silver unlimited plan. Wow, what a load off my shoulders. Before upgrading, I did a speed test and got 13.64 down and 1.20 up. After the upgrade, I am getting 32.54 down and 1.20 up. And a data limit that I will likely never reach.

Sweet!

And BTW, the gold plan is available here. It is 30mbps and optonized for 720p. $150 per month.