Why can't we get the same plan as our neighbor?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Our neighbor asked about our internet service and we referred them to Exede. Their plan gives them 150gig, while our plan has a 15gig limit.  We are 1/4 away from each other, but we have 2 different zip codes.  Calling Exede, to "get their deal" we are told that the "beam" covers their residence but not ours. REALLY? Is this really plausible or just a load of crap?
Photo of Kipp Schrage

Kipp Schrage

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2797 Posts
  • 902 Reply Likes
Hello Kipp

Beams will dictate what plans can be supported in certain areas. Beams cover many miles but the borders of a neighboring area sometimes do happen (Think of television or radio channel coverage areas). It sounds like you may be a more "crowded" beam than the ones your neighbor is in and as a result at this time the Freedom plan isn't in your beam yet. You can always see what's in your area by going to my.exede.net or entering your zip code on www.exede.net. We are launching ViaSat 2 in March/April and shortly after will be able to offer much more robust plans and speeds as a result of us essentially doubling our entire capacity with the new satellite. So if it's not there now check back in a few weeks because we may start seeing it in more areas to build up to the new plans.
(Edited)
Photo of Kipp Schrage

Kipp Schrage

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  1. Thanks Brad. I actually still don't fully understand, so I hope you don't mind a few more questions for clarity?  My neighbor and I are pointed at the same satellite?  If not, can I just point at the satellite that they do?  I get similar upload/download speeds as my neighbor, the difference is that they get the ability to subscribe to more data, certainly in exchange for more economical terms than your other plans. Interesting that Exede currently will make more data available to non-Freedom plan customers, as long as they are willing to pay a higher price for small increments.   It sounds like beams are an equivalent term for areas on a map more like zip codes?  Exede obviously has current excess capacity even before ViaSat2, and thus has the ability to offer the Freedom plan strategically to some new customers.  Is Exede's business model to offer the Freedom plan in less crowded areas, mainly to increase your overall footprint?  From your explanation it sounds like the more subscribers Exede has in a "beam", Exede can't offer more data or risks potentially overloading which I assume would have the negative consequence of compromising everyone's speed?  Thank for your quick response to my prior questions.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2797 Posts
  • 902 Reply Likes
No problem with additional questions. That's what I'm getting paid for!

So it's from the same satellite but how it comes back down it's split into beams. It's sort of like how your local CBS is different than the one probably 100 miles away but with our satellite it splits it into various beams servicing different footprints. In some cases a user could be right on the border sort of like how you and the neighbor has 2 different zipcodes. With how far away they live I'd say you're right at the line.

Probably the reason why they have it now and you don't is because their beam has room to support plans with Freedom and your beam may be full where it would cause performance issues if the plan was offered right now. But keep checking we'll probably see it appear again and worst case scenario it'll be after March/April when ViaSat 2 is up and running.

You can always email us at exedelistens@viasat.com for additional questions or concerns
Photo of Kipp Schrage

Kipp Schrage

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks again, makes more sense.  My last question is how do you know I could not connect to the same beam as the neighbor?  I estimated 1/4 mile and my guess is it is less.  Exede can determine different things like my connection efficiency, do they know with absolute certainty there is no way I can connect to the neighbors beam,even if my dish is relocated to a different area on my property? You have mentioned ViaSat 2, what are the chances that brings relief and I am not left with only my current beam as a choice?
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 670 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
Kipp, you should email your full address to us at exedelistens@viasat.com and we can be more certain of what's available for you.
Photo of Kipp Schrage

Kipp Schrage

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Alex.  I just emailed right now.
Photo of Brandy Woodard Garcia

Brandy Woodard Garcia

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Oh now its March April eh? Well I was told last month December that it would be in my area by Feb. this is after I was asked if I wanted the unlimited plan for 99.99, and I replied with of course! That's wat I pay now for 18 gigs! WTF??? Why wasn't I told about this a long time ago. I get in return well mMame, I'm not sured let me see....I may be wrong. Thhere are some areas that don't offer this yet. So he got me all excited and told me I could get this plan and come to find out its not available where I live! BS!!!! Why isn't it? It should be available EVERYWHERE with how ridiculously the gigs get eaten up! ITS A JOKE! You cant do diddly squat! Without using up all your data!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2794 Posts
  • 902 Reply Likes
Likely an agent gave his or her own guess and was wrong. We at the corporate office don't even have a definite date yet so if you were given a date, all you were told was speculation. Rocket launches are a lot of work involving a lot of math, science and weather conditions being just right so we only know of a window which right now is March/April. Once launched shortly after once communication is established with the satellite and everything is set we'll be seeing the benefits. We have never offered a "unlimited plan" the most robust plan we offer is Freedom plan which gives users 150GB of data each month. With the upcoming plans we'll see more robust plans like Freedom be widespread. For now it's sort of a Whack-a-mole game of sorts on when and if it'll be available in areas until the new plans are available but I would anticipate if not now, you may see it soon as we build up to the new plans. We'll be announcing everything here and on www.exede.net closer to time. I'm sorry you were given wrong expectations. 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1741 Posts
  • 1401 Reply Likes
It is well known that "diddly squat" does in fact use a lot of data.  I would try to avoid that.