169.254 IP address during initial setup, can’t access my modem - is there anyway to fix this?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Received a Viasat RM511 with satellite in February but didn’t have a computer with an Ethernet port. I came back with two, a MacBook Pro 2010 and a Mac Mini 2012 as well as an adapter for ethernet to USB C (MacBook Pro 2017\Macbook 2018) and none will let me access the modem. I ran some operations in terminal to reveal that it was giving off an 169.254 IP address. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get past this? It would be greatly appreciated.,
Photo of Sam Freud

Sam Freud

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Was it installed by a certified installer? If not, it is not going to work.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
Did you buy it at a garage sale?  When you say 'received", as vetsat asks, did Viasat install it?
Photo of Sam Freud

Sam Freud

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It came from Sky EU for use with the KSAT satellite - their service operates on a ‘they’ll send you all the parts for a diy install’.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Don't see how that is gonna work for you.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Logically, one must ask about a  person's location...as they say, location, location, and location determines if this unit will work or not.

Even at DSL, sometimes, they come from Europe...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I am not going to miss some people on this forum...
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2391 Posts
  • 467 Reply Likes
Hello Sam,  Please send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.  Ws this sent to you by Viasat?
Photo of Sam Freud

Sam Freud

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Diana, no it was sent via SkyEU.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 299 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
You should have instructions on setting up your service.
There MUST be some way to establish a link between your account you have with an ISP and the modem.

The instructions will likely direct you to set a static IP in your computer, at least initially, to begin the activation process. 
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 299 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
while hard wired into the modem, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.1:8080   or   192.168.1.100 depending on your modem.   Default log in is admin  admin

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.