150GB plan?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
I just checked today and exede now offers freedom plan in my are...150GB for 99.99 plus 10.00 if I want "up to 24Mbps"
how can they offer that if the current satellite is over taxed already?
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 140 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Crazy question.STOP IT!
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
how so ggg????
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 140 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Tongue in cheek response
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Don't see it that way
You mean you have no idea right???
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 140 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Your question causes one to loop in reasoning
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
no endless loop in the question 

Just needed someone in the know to answer ;)
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 91 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
The key here is "in your area".  Some of us live in areas that are "full".  You can also read that as exede is no longer accepting customers in specific "full" areas.  Each area is served by a specific beam - which may also be a specific RF frequeny/frequencies.  Some areas are underutilized and thus have extra capacity - so maybe exede using this extra capacity to offer more plans with more GBs and speed "up to 24 Mbps".  My assumption would be that your area has excess capacity and that is why exede is offering these "freedom" plans.  I'd go for it - I'm paying 99.99 for Liberty 18 and maybe Viasat 2 will give some currently "full" areas somew more options such as this "freedom" pln.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
thanks gregory....that makes sense
just trying to figure out how all this works 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2863 Posts
  • 1169 Reply Likes
Yes, it's not nationwide, only in selected areas. My beam, 332, for example offers Liberty 50+ boost 25 as the top plan. It all depends on the load on any given beam.

All of that is going to change when Viasat 2 comes online in a few months, more capacity everywhere so, even those that stay on Viasat 1 will be able to get better plans since some of the workload will be taken up by Viasat 2, freeing up room for belter plans on Viasat 1 as well.
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 91 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Thanks Bev - I like more options.  Being an original Wildblue customer I remember, vaguely, when Viasat 1 plans came out options for Wildblue customers to stay with their original satelite.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3174 Posts
  • 3129 Reply Likes
Temper your ViaSat-2 expectations, folks.

Yes it will get better (just as it did when VaSat-1 became operational and how quickly we forget our ooohs and aaahs back then) and total available bandwidth will be significantly increase, but remember...

• Xplornet has already contracted for all of that capacity that covers Canada. 
  • ViaSat-2 provides 7 times the coverage area including North America, Central America, the Caribbean, a small portion of northern South America as well as the primary aeronautical and maritime routes across the Atlantic Ocean between North America and Europe. Translation: more customers in some areas where there is pent up demand for "high speed" internet - I can attest to that having spent 1-1/2 years on a Caribbean island. Even then it look like those in Hawaii and Alaska won't be playing in the ViaSat-2 sandbox.
  • In the U.S., a lot of "new" customers will come from those areas currently only covered by Exede 5 plans (i.e. a large swath of the mountain states and west only covered by the older birds).    
Overall success will largely depend on how well the new technology can shift supply between under-utilized and over-utilized areas (something the current bird is incapable of.

As for the original poster's question, it's pretty simple - in a few months demand for bandwidth on ViaSat-1 will start dropping and some of it is an end-of-summer clearance sale.

ViaSat is in the business of selling bandwidth - best to sell when demand is high. Coupled with subscriber counts being down around 10% over the last year, there's some bandwidth to be sold (there's always available bandwidth otherwise buy more doesn't exist and everything has a price). Despite the fact that subscriber counts are down, per subscriber revenue is up over the same period and that revenue is coming from both additional bandwidth and non-bandwidth related changes (e.g. EasyCare, Exede WiFi modem).

All is proceeding according to plan...

https://www.spaceintelreport.com/viasat-consumer-broadband-subscribers-10-year-year-waiting-viasat-2...   

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2224 Posts
  • 1197 Reply Likes
You don't have to temper expectations. Viasat-2 is going to be a significant advancement. Keep in mind Viasat1 was delayed and by the time it came online, it was already dated for the amount of bandwidth it could provide to customers. And while Hughesnet just launched a satellite last year, it was just more of the same old, outdated technology.

That won't be the case this time , and while it has been six or so years since Viasat-1, Viasat-3 is scheduled to be in service around three years from now. So slowly but surely, Viasat is trying to get "ahead of the data curve" so to speak.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2863 Posts
  • 1169 Reply Likes
From what I saw and heard at the Conference of Champions, you are exactly right. The new satellites in the coming decade are exciting, and that includes Viasat 2.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3174 Posts
  • 3129 Reply Likes
Sure you do...

Did you attend that conference also? Check your objectivity!
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 38 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I have the freedom plan and like it .It just popped up one day when I was looking for a different plan I had the 18 gb liberty with speedboost so I jumped on it and I like it.Now they don't offer it anymore in my area.
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
The answer to the question is they oversell knowing they can't deliver in congested times. I just joined and get 15-20 at 2am but not more then 2Mbps from 7-11 pm. I get 3 with my DSL so now I have to Pay $20/month vacation mode hoping the new satellite will be better.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3128 Posts
  • 3078 Reply Likes
Oh, I'm eagerly anticipating it but wouldn't call it excitement - that'll be the day when internet is my source of excitement. If internet were really important to me I'd either pay the p[rice to run cable the final 1/2 mile or simply move.

To date, the numbers on ViaSat-2 simply don't add up for me (and I have no inside information).

We're basing our expectations on marketing hype right now... get back to me when plans and prices are actually announced. In the meantime, check to ensure that you'll even be able to play in the ViaSat-2 sandbox - it's not a given.

See http://www.dishpointer.com/

Use the 78.8W SKY MEXICO-1 satellite as a reference (ViaSat-2 will be a 79.9W) and you'll be able to determine whether you may have a potential line of sight issue. Remember ViaSat-2 will be about 45 degrees further east than ViaSat-1 and the elevation angle will be changing - just an estimate of what you may encounter. It shows my elevation increases to about 45 degrees (from 31 degrees). Unfortunately, that places me looking directly at some tall trees which I may r may not clear for ViaSat-2. Actually I hope everybody does jump over to ViaSat-2 and leaves me alone on my own personal beam.           

It's all about capacity and as long as that capacity is fixed at launch, it will eventually run out before being increased with another launch.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2764 Posts
  • 1106 Reply Likes
Exactly and, even ONE satellite is not cheap. $200-300 million give or take just for one satellite then another $100 million give or take to launch the satellite, then the ground support it needs. And that satellite will only last about 15-20 years before you will need a new one and, thus another $500 million PLUS for that.

So, Viasat is doing pretty good at providing us with service at a reasonable cost for the equipment they have to provide for us to use the service.

Viasat 2, and beyond is exciting. Yes they will sell the capacity to near maximum but, Viasat 3 (or whatever they are calling it) is already planned and, it won't be long before it's up there too - meaning over capacity is a lot less likely to affect us as subscribers from now on (now being when Viasat 2 comes online.)

I'm not saying Viasat will eliminate the impact of congestion entirely, I doubt any ISP can do that and, it is more noticeable to subscribers on satellite ISPs but, I think they are going to be able to reduce that impact on us greatly very soona nd, give us better data plans at the same time. :)
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Bev:
You asked me why I could get satellite when I have DSL. That is a very good question. My DSL only has a peak speed of 3Mbps all the time (when it's working). I need streaming capability during peak hours and have been watching Excede, Hughes net, and Verizon for a long time. When I saw they offered 150GB at 12 to 25 speeds I was exited. I called and talked to them and they assured me that all though I would have some slowness during peak, I would be able to stream HD. Only if I ran out of data would it slow to 1 to 5 Mbps (implying it would  be much fast all other times).  If I bought the 150 plan, it would meet all my needs. They installed it on Saturday and I had great speeds (15 to 20). Monday evening I only had 1.7. They concluded my system is good and these are "normal speeds during congested peak time". This is unacceptable and now I have to eat $300 install plus $360 for cancellation charges. I am sick and discussed. I went into this being totally honest of my requirements and paid for lifetime lease. They ripped me off and I am going to do everything in my power to prevent them from miss-leading others in the future. My new life goal. If they would have only been honest about the evening speeds, I would have no beef with Exede because I would not have gone with them. 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2764 Posts
  • 1106 Reply Likes
I'm sorry you feel that way. I have seen speeds that slow without another cause on a few beams but, that isn't network wide. Many customers do have good speeds and, that's going to get a lot better EVERYWHERE in a few months when Viasat 2 comes online for us.

For most uses 1.5 Mbps is fine. https://support.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/articles/203845210-What-speeds-do-I-need-for-Skype-Netflix-vi...

Some HD streaming does need 5Mbps, but in most cases it's possible to stream the same content at a lower resolution during peak congestion hours at least.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Greg,
my DSL is also the same.... when it is working it is usually 3 Mbps down and .5  up

Yes having 1.5 in the evening would be horrible

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2828 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Yeah man if it's in your area and you want to get that plan, pounce on it while it's being offered. 

Some beams aren't as busy as others and as a result you can get the Freedom Plan. 
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Again I would caution getting into exede. If you already have it and know your speeds and just want more data, go for it. If you are a new customer, do not believe that it will work during evening busy times. They say they are offering it because there is bandwidth, but that does not mean you will have speeds over 2Mbps during busy times.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 72 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
It's called Phishing, they are trolling for money. Once they set the hook your stuck for 2 years or a minimum of $360 if you cancel. Get the contract and read it very carefully, cleverly written with many opportunities for the to take your plan away from you and charge you more for less. If you have the option of DSL or Cable take it and work with them, you will regret getting involved with this company!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 181 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
I've been with WB/Exede for years and have had very few problems. I also had a good installer though who knew what he was doing when he first hooked me up. That's probably why my experience with Exede has been a positive one.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 327 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Yes I had a good install too which uses a  short length of coax.  In addition I don't rely on the waterproofing of the TNC connectors and I seal them with Coax Seal just to be sure.  I have never had any issues with either my original WildBlue or my current Exede (ViaSat) equipment.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I agree that a good installer is key with any ISP but especially satellite.
I'm still deciding, the exede website says that the Freedom plan (150GB) is available in my zip code but the only thing that holds me back are wondering if  the speed will be OK and the only way to know is after install and that is kinda to late as it means spending time with support.  
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2533 Posts
  • 1557 Reply Likes
briman, the speeds you get will depend largely on the quality of the installation and the number of subscribers in your beam. I just switched to the Freedom 150 GB - 12 Mbps plan, and I am seeing speeds of just over 13 Mbps. I am in  upstate NY, beam 314. I chose not to get the higher speed 25 Mbps plan, because I do not wish to get tied down with the combined modem/router because of its limitations, and continue to use my ASUS router.

My suggestion would be for you to see if you have any neighbors who have Exede, and see what they are experiencing for speeds. That will give you a better indication than you would get by asking a local dealer or even the Exede sales people. Users are the best source of just how well the internet is working for them.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Steve,

I appreciate the reply and information

The people I know in my neighborhood ....none have excede ....just DSL (like I have) or cable (I will not deal with my local cable company)
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 140 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
OUTSTANDING advice..why did you not tell me
This before I pulled the trigger? :')
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 72 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Sorry, have been away from home, in a lot of areas with little or no service. That is how I found out how deceptive they are , i wanted to use the vacation/hibernation plan and was told I would most likely not get my same plan when i returned because it is no longer available in my area.