You MUST read your Customer Agreement BEFORE you sign!

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Not Planned
How many times have you called customer service and said, "but the agent/installer/salesman told me this!" ??   YOU MUST GO BY THE CUSTOMER AGREEMENT, NOT WHAT ANY PERSON TELLS YOU.  Do you really think the company is going to say, "oh, he told you it was this, ok our bad."    READ THE CONTRACT AND DON'T BE SURPRISED.
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 28 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 185 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Yes read where it says UP TO and NOT ALWAYS. Read where it says IT DEPENDS and NO GURANTEES.

Also read the part about WE DECIDE IF.

In other words WE CALL THE SHOTS......AND OF COURSE IF YOU DO NoT LIKE IT THEN PAY TO LEAVE.
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
LOL More like "up to" and "may experience slower speeds"  Or the part about "peak usage" because NOBODY EVER uses the internet at night, despite that they tell everyone to download and perform updates at night "when there is less traffic."

Or the part about just giving them your payment information and they will gladly take whatever you owe them this month from your account.

I really love the paragraph about what percentage of the time you will see the advertised "up to" speeds, and what percentage of the time your "internet service provider" will provide you with no usable internet.

Its like Obamacare, just pass it and you can read it later.  Most people, like myself, JUST WANT INTERNET ACCESS!  If you believe all the hype and subscribe simply for their claims, and dont research ALL your options, YOU ARE A FOOL!

Sitting here thinking right now ... call customer service with a "problem" and the first thing they tell you is ... unplug the line from your router and run it direct to your PC because A DIRECT HARDWIRED CONNECTION IS THE BEST!!!  LOL!!

Oh well, Im gonna shut up now.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 269 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I have a pre-existing condition to data hording.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I have been with this service for 12 years+. Started with Wildblue 12 years ago, didn’t keep that info when Exede too over. All I have is some installer records,,,,, who gives us the contract???? If the installer comes out with a contract, do we say, “Wait, I have to read this first, sit down while I call a lawyer.” Do they send one in the mail?? Please let me know how they give us access to the contract when we call for installation. I’m a invoice, receipt hoarder. I would have kept that if it was presented.
(Edited)
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 277 Posts
  • 324 Reply Likes
You can see the contract, and all the other legal documentation on the Viasat.com website.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I know I can view them now, how does that work when you call for service to be installed? I believe there is no attempt to let us view the contract prior to installation. Are we bound to the contract simply by saying to the phone representative, send an installer out? Are we not required to sign this contract? I”m old, memory is not what it used to be. Doesn’t a contract need a signature as the installation paperwork required a signature?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3053 Posts
  • 1959 Reply Likes
Susan, the contract and all the other legal documents, data policies, are available to anyone with internet access on the viasat.com website, as Christine pointed out.

Legal documents are available at: https://www.exede.com/legal/

Residential Customer Agreement is available at: https://www.exede.com/documents/master/customer-agreement.pdf

At time of installation, the technician will have you sign the contract electronically.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 105 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
The installer may or may not mumble something about signing for the installation (usually an electronic signature on their phone) is also agreeing to the terms of the contract. They seem to prefer that people don't have knowledge of the contract until they have on the hook for 2 years. 

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 199 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
The real issue is an installer completes his work, wants you to submit complete, and get on the way. Once you accept completion of the job, you are on the hook for 2 years.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
So,, when the installer is finished, then we sign the contract electronically on his phone. What if, at that time, we say I’m not signing until I read the contract? What do they do, remove everything before they leave? Do all internet services work this way? Seems they make it impossible to review the contract before the installer shows up. Even then we do not view the contract, we just blindly electronically sign. How does one view the contract BEFORE we arrange for the installer to come out? The reason I’m asking is that I will be moving and changing internet services within a year or two. I want to make a wiser choice next time.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 199 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Correct
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2427 Posts
  • 2156 Reply Likes
"How does one view the contract BEFORE we arrange for the installer to come out?"

Is that a trick question?    You read the contract on the Viasat website or at the store where you are going to get the product, before you buy the product. You want to buy Viasat internet, you go to their website and look at all their services and read all the legal pages and then you purchase the product and set a time for them to come out. You make it sound like they just came out and installed all the equipment without you knowing who or what was happening. This applies to ANYTHING you buy.

This really must be a trick question, right?
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Jim16, sorry, this is not a trick question. I have no way to defend myself in this situation, I’m guilty of believing what is advertised in some situations, and not a lot of options out where I live. Also, as the service changed hands so many times, am not sure if new contracts were offered or old contracts were grandfathered and honored. I had other priorities at the time viasat took over and I did not look into fine print. I have no excuse for falling prey to their tactics,,,, but I did. Thanks to the posters on this forum I am better informed and will definitely change my approach to future contracts. It seems like the internet is the biggest user of contracts and use agreements that are very involved and not user friendly. I am beginning to fall into the group of senior citizens falling prey to scam artists and it’s beginning to be overwhelming. Way too much of this going on,,,,,hard to keep from being taken advantage of. I wish I had the tech knowledge displayed here.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 199 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
You shouldn't have to apologize. Honestly, not many understand the limitations and functionality of satellite internet. It isn't like what most people expect, especially in 2019. High latency, low data caps, video throttling, etc. I am not even sure short of dealers, most people who sell it have no idea what it is like.

As with anything with a big purchase (car, appliance, phone, etc) do your homework. It is much easier today to research items than it was 10 years ago. I do it myself with technology, tires, batteries, tools, etc. It is another reason why Amazon is so great.

Best of luck to you going forward.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Thanks for the encouragement. I order from Amazon often, just heard on TV news that the star rating system may be rigged :(. I was using that often to list my searches (sort by “avg. customer review.” Scamming and deception is so rampant that I don’t know which way turn. Who to believe?????
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 199 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
On Amazon, I buy from brands I trust.  DeWalt tools.  Sony products.  ASUS electronics, etc.  I  also look at more than just the stars, I read the reviews.  For really big purchases, I will then consult other resources on the internet. 

You can only do so much.  But if it sounds too good to be true (as in "unlimited" data on satellite internet), it probably is!
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 230 Posts
  • 173 Reply Likes
Sadly it is truly "buyer beware" on just about anything any more.  Even brands you thought you knew and trusted are not even the same because somebody else merely bought "the name" and continues to produce a sub standard product basing their sales on nothing more than name recognition.

I see it every day from vehicles, to lawn mowers, to appliances, to the food in the stores, even my DirecTV service since AT&T bought them out.  They made it clear from the beginning they had no desire to be in the satellite TV business, the acquisition was made solely to benefit their streaming capabilities, and THAT was their priority and focus.

I could go on for hours.  BRAND NEW items like my Samsung  60" TV that lasted 11 months.  My new well pump that lasted 3 1/2 months, car parts that were BAD when I got them.

ITS NOT JUST VIASAT!  Its become the way of doing business in the new millennium.  Got a bad reputation with consumers?  Change the name.  Dont like brand X, go buy brand Y or Z HAHAHA we make them too!  In fact we make 90% of the brands out there so we get your money no matter what!

Sorry, not "getting what I pay for" has become a real peeve of mine!  Prices continue to rise, and quality continues to fall.  All you have to do is look and see its EVERYWHERE!

My beef is not with Viasats contract or user agreement.  In fact I expected what I found before I even read it.  I just wish my restricted speeds were back above 1 Mbps like they used to be!  Back when they truly were "slower" not catatonic.  Back when in restriction I STILL HAD INTERNET!

Honestly, who cares what it says in the contract.  Who would even be reading it if they were happy with their service!   People are upset, dare I say IRATE because the service is going down the toilet and now they discover in the contract THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT!   NOTHING!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 199 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
In fairness to Viasat, they did offer an early out to those under conctract. Still others quit the service completely after several years (no names please).

Don't assume satellite and/or Viasat is your only internet option. Do your research, and choose a provider that best meets your needs.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3409 Posts
  • 1278 Reply Likes
I cannot confirm or deny that a friend of mine gave me a 100% reimbursement for a medal display in return for a 5 star rating...BUT it is a good display and I have my favorite homebrew medal on it so I probably would have given it a 5 star anyway. So while some "seed" reviews to get started I think it's a good practice to read the most helpful 5 star and the most helpful critical review on anything that costs over X amount on Amazon
(Edited)
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 28 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
^^^^  And this, everyone, is the Viasat rep.....  figures.
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 28 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
^^^^  And this, everyone, is the Viasat rep.....  figures.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 300 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I never was told there was a user agreement or a contract you actually signed. My installer said when I agreed to have someone sent out over the phone was all I needed. I never signed anything at all. I just signed something saying that everything was installed and working right for the installer for them to cover them. 
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Thinking back on my last installer contact, it happened similarly to me. The installer says, “sign here.” I thought it had to do with the installation activity only. How clever of them to have us sign electronically AFTER the install is finished. Seems the customer is at a disadvantage to make a decision on a contract that can’t be read prior to install.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 190 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Once the install is complete the agree comes up, the installer scrolls to the end, you acknowledge, contract begins.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 184 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Welcome to the machine RESISTANCE is FUTILE!
(Edited)
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
So all those posters saying “read the contract first” is something viasat sets up so we can’t read the contract first........how did we ever end up with this “legal” approach to this type of contract? And the better business bureau is okay with this?
(Edited)
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 184 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
I say it because if you do not read EVERYTHING you sign for , you are\can be screwed. So if you did not read it and you signed it unknowingly then you have been assimilated, incorporated,consumed, and absorbed legally into the collective. Of course a judge in a court of law would ask "DID YOU NOT KNOW WHAT YOU WERE. SIGNING?" And then the hearsay begins.
(Edited)
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Thanks to all who have added their info here. Just one more question and then I’ll be quiet, how do we avoid this in the future with other internet providers? Are they all this unscrupulous? Do they all set up installs with the same approach that we sign electronically and cannot review in advance? Are we supposed to read a multi-page contract on the installers phone? I surely do not want to go through the same mistake at my next internet service.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 184 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
The installer is the first in the chain of deception . if one read the one sided contract WHO would really sign it knowingly?
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 105 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
It's way past time for the Federal Government to investigate this company, the scam they are running is many times worse than the College Admissions Scandal! The FCC, FBI, CIA, NSA and maybe the FAA and Homeland Security need to take a look at this operation!
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 184 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
But.remember the "Too Big to fail " perspective. This company has protections of all types. All one has to do is research the vast number of complaints and threats of legal action that have been posted across the internet year after year and you realize something is not right with this continuation.
(Edited)
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 105 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Advances in technology are eating away at their customer base, if satellite internet is their only offering, they will not last. I believe they will be out of business in 5 to 10 years.

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
How do we avoid this in the future with other internet providers?
Susan,

All have agreements, all play fast and loose with the terms as well as terminology.

Any time you exchange $$$ for any service (i.e. consideration is an important formation for any contract along with an offer and agreement  - specifically what are you providing as a party to the contract) there is an implicit agreement. The burden is on you to know what the details of the agreement are. Once you exchange $$$ it's generally assumed you are aware of the details. In some cases, no signature is even required on contracts/agreements.

Simply go to the provider's web site and review their customer agreement before signing up (or Google is also your friend). As Sy Syms said, "an educated consumer is our best customer". 
(Edited)
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Thank you, I will be wiser next time around. In my lifetime, I have not bounced around with internet service, I am naive, but never too old to learn.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3409 Posts
  • 1278 Reply Likes
Solid advice CO!

I wouldn't expect most people to ever read an agreement. I usually do not. IOS update? Eh whatever give me more emojis that I can use for dumb reasons! They probably have all the data on me anyway.

With that said though, I would recommend knowing a little about a service before signing up. Most have small print on the ads. We have been open about the limitations of satellite with speeds and data with a "What to expect" page and by having the info on our plan overview pages when seeing what's in the area. 
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 184 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
I asked the local sales person and went over my needs at least 6 times over in 3 seperate conversations over several weeks if my speed would ever drop below 2megs and unlimited meant that I could always get on line and do searches. How would I know that he was a habitual LIAR scratching for a sale? He knew how to play me .
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 300 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I did not sign or do anything pertaining to a contract at all. I got a copy of the work order that I initialed that the internet was working and paid him for the pole mount. He gave me a sheet with webpage that I needed to sign in to check email with a temp username and password. If they have any type of contract with a signature on it it is NOT mine and the installer would have had to sign it cause I never signed anything. But this was quite a few years back also so I am LONG time out of contract anyway. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 300 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I did not sign or do anything pertaining to a contract at all. I got a copy of the work order that I initialed that the internet was working and paid him for the pole mount. He gave me a sheet with webpage that I needed to sign in to check email with a temp username and password. If they have any type of contract with a signature on it it is NOT mine and the installer would have had to sign it cause I never signed anything. But this was quite a few years back also so I am LONG time out of contract anyway. 
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
I laugh at all these comments about the contract being available online.  So once you get internet, you can go read the agreement LOL

I clicked, I read, and my favorite parts are:

Despite a place to sign it states right at the beginning, the terms of the agreement commence when service is activated.  (THEN you can go READ the agreement?)

They retain the right to change the terms, fees, or service at any time, AND are under no obligation to notify you!

If you continue service for 5 days following a change or new contract, you are automatically bound by the change or new contract.

When a change or new contract is enacted, any and all previous agreements become null and void.

They hold no warranty or liability for any equipment or service.  

They hold no warranty or liability for any minimum speed.

You waive any and all right to seek litigation against them in court or by jury trial individually or in any class action.

WHAT A RACKET!   IMAGINE IF ALL BUSINESSES OPERATED THIS WAY!!!  IT WOULD BE UTTER CHAOS!!

Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 185 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I need to change my business contracts , I am apparently behind the times. Screw the people and be happy..
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
All I can say is do your homework, and select the best internet for you. Dont listen to a sale or marketing pitch. Their job is to get the sale. They are going to do and say what is necessary.

Talk to friends and neighbors who have the service. Also a local dealer. Most, but not all, will tell you what to expect. Wireless providers use to have two year contracts too. For the most part those have disappeared. It is why prepaid plans are growing in popularity. No contract. No commitment.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
It all depends on what your priorities are.  They charge ridiculous prices and have one way contracts ... because they can!

I knew what I was getting into, I had Hughesnet and was VERY unhappy, the only other option?  Wildblue/Viasat.

Technology is expanding and improving every day.  Cell phone service is expanding.  More companies are expressing interest in satellite internet options., especially SpaceX and now Amazon with low orbit satellites.

As options grow, and the competition gets vicious, one can only hope the customer matters more.  Service will improve and prices (hopefully) will drop.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 213 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Good advice. And yes, competition is going to change things. It already has for some.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 389 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
In both of my installs the contract was presented to me on a notebook computer. It was easy to read. It pointed out the same items as the website. Warnings about game performance etc. I skimmed over it and signed it with no issues.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 300 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I am guessing your a beta tester 
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 389 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Beta tester of what exactly?
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 185 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
So you had no reservations with the the verbage in the contract as illustrated in the post's
here? .........
In summary
" you get what you get and it may not be much"
In addition " if you do not like it you can pay to terminate your service early"
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2340 Posts
  • 455 Reply Likes
Nathan,  thank you for posting your positive experience with your installation. It is important to read and ask questions before signing anything.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 185 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Especially in this case
I am curious as to what percentage of users would have. "signed " UP if they had researched the complaints across the internet and then actually read the contract?????. I would have taken the chance , thinking what is the likelihood THAT/THOSE experiences would happen to me. ( AND WHAT A RIDE I HAD)
This is simply because SAT was the ONLY source in my area. The minute another source became available I gladly paid to resolve my suffering and stress.

I would not be proud to be a representative of this type of bussiness considering the number of complaints such a business has received with a mantra of "you should have read the contract and researched the pitfalls " regardless of what the sales staff and techs tell /told you.
(Edited)
Photo of olysounder89

olysounder89

• 11 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I signed up. Even after seeing all the negative reviews. So that's when I did my own research to see how satellite internet works and what are it's limitations and benefits. Then with that knowledge, you can easily break down the reviews and conclude that it's people that are expecting a fiber or cable experience when that simply isn't the case. So I signed up, and skimmed over the contract that is totally presented to you to read before you sign up and I've been a satisfied customer ever since.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 185 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I simply expected what I was told several times that I was going to pay for and get, nothing more nothing less. I received a fraction of that along with the lies.

Could not even check email many times. Go figure ...

No doubt many people get what they thought they were going to get, you are obviously one of them.

Please do not however imply that possibly many of us are gullible ,stupid, or foolish and ( expect ) more than what we thought we were paying for and were going to get. I will leave it at that.....
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 389 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
I also did a lot of research before signing up with exede in 2014. Most of the negatives were easy to see that it was people wanting more then they paid for or a lack of understanding of satellite internet. I signed up anyway and have been very satisfied overall.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 185 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
The many complaints I read about are simply about not getting the advertised service and in many cases dial up speeds. Many post the speeds that they are getting for those who doubt what their issues are.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 213 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Exede was a lot different back then.

I think the problems started when Viasat stupidly implemented 150 GB plans and advertised them as "unlimited". This helped perpetuate the belief that it was all the data you could eat with no slowdown and could compete with DSL. For many, this simply is not true. The 10/15/25GB plans with a 5 hour free zone were a lot easier to understand and deal with. Alas, those plans are long, long gone.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
ExSatUser, those plans are not totally gone. I can switch to a Liberty 12, 25, or 50 plan with the the 3 hour LNFZ.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 213 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Those are variants of the original plans. They lack 5 hour free zone and contain variable speed reductions.

There was no doubt on the original plans. Go over? Get slowed to nothing. It was easy to tell. A hard line in the sand. Now, go over your priority data, who knows what kind of speeds you will get. And for those who had the old 150GB priority plans, who knows what type of speed you get anytime, no matter how much data has been used. I had used 2.6GB's of data in a cycle a few months ago. Was pulling speeds below 300kbps.

Not saying the new plans or better or worse. But with the old plans you knew exactly where you stood.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
I never went over priority data when I had Classic or since I've had Freedom. So I have no idea how slow my service would get. Liberty is the closest thing to the old plans that people can still sign up for. My neighbor just upgraded from Classic 10 to the Unlimited Silver. I might play around with his service if he goes over priority data to see how well it works.
Photo of olysounder89

olysounder89

• 11 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
ggg rt, I was not implying anything.  I was simply sharing my experience to your post.  I apologize if that is what you got out of my post.   But if I may be respectfully blunt, if you're so unhappy why not leave and file a complaint with the proper government agency for them to look at it?  Cut your losses.  Pay the ETF and save yourself a headache.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 185 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Already did ...as have many others. Company is protected. Read about it.....enough said
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 213 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
FMJ you are right Liberty is the closet thing. Unfortunately, Liberty isn't universally available. If it was, maybe I would still be a customer. But it isn't, so I am not.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
@ExSatUser, I think it worked out pretty well for you. Your Jetpack works better than anything Viasat could offer. If I could pick up the same kind of signal around my place I'd drop satellite in a heartbeat.
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 94 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
After they changed the data policy for the 150GB plans, I started looking for other options for my internet service. ExSatUser led me to the prepaid unlimited plan from Verizon, and I must say that things are working out just fine. It is so nice to be able to stream all I want now. Viasat was a great provider, but after the data restrictions they imposed back in February, I as very unhappy. Severe throttling after using only 20GB out of 150GB just wasn't right. I had Viasat for 4 years, but that relationship was ruined. I'll bet many others will be on the lookout for a new ISP.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing,,,,, hope to follow in your footsteps. I”m still on the Freedom 150GB. Hoping to leave viasat for good when cell comes through here. Enjoy!
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 389 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
I know it’s been said before, but switching plans away from Freedom 150 will restore your speed.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
Yup, still on a long gone 10 plan.  I would love to up my data, but I highly doubt they will let me modify it now.

I loved it before the throttling changes.  Back when my "restricted" speeds were slightly slower than my peak speeds I was happy as hell!  2 - 5 avg peak speed and 1 - 4 avg restricted, it was pretty much business as usual.  I saw little if any change at all.

Now in restriction I am below 1, from 5 AM until midnight.  It is S L O W all day long until it starts getting busy, then FORGET IT!  Click 3 times to open a site  and it gets timed out, 4th time get redirected to a page reminding me I am out of data ... LIKE I FORGOT??? DUH!!  Cant open email, cant scroll Facebook.  I could care less if my speed is 2 or 200, I want and pay for INTERNET ACCESS!  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 213 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
For you Ron you got two options. 1) Move. 2) Switch internet providers. I don't care what Viasat plan you are on in eastern Ohio, you are not going to see very good performance at times.

Of course, I would think it would get better as more people end their service.
(Edited)
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 52 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
"I know it’s been said before, but switching plans away from Freedom 150 will restore your speed."
What's also been said before, it may restore speed, for 1/3 of the priority data at the same price (depending on available plans and prices, of course).
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 213 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
That is exactly right. Not all areas can get the same plans or performance levels. For me it worked, but that is because I dropped Viasat. I got better performance and saved money. People need to consider all alternatives and make an informed decision.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
ExSatUser I know where I live, and I know the problems associated with living here.  I moved from Fairfield county CT, one of the nations wealthiest areas, to rural Appalachia, it was like stepping back into the 50s!!  But I love the lifestyle here, and do NOT want that life again!

They have long wanted me to upgrade from my original Exede12/10 plan and my argument has always been, why pay for more data at speeds BARELY over my restricted speeds?  Their answer?  LOWER MY RESTRICTED SPEEDS!!!

For YEARS I couldnt wait for VS2 and "unlimited," despite that it was 3 TIMES what I pay now (on my limited income) I planned to part ways with DirecTV to make up the difference.  No wait ... its LIMITED "unlimited"!  No cord cutting on the TV here!

During my data loss issue last year customer service kept insisting I needed to upgrade to "unlimited" and I kept insisting I am NOT paying 3 times more for LIMITED "unlimited" suffering the same SLOW speeds on the already overcrowded VS1, with limited video capabilities!

Despite their original business model of "To provide high speed internet access to rural areas not served by conventional land based internet providers" there is no beam on VS1 dedicated to this area, one of the most heavily populated, and depressed rural areas in our country.  Now for mysterious reasons VS2 also has no beam dedicated to this area.

SMH, I have no beef with comments by those in areas seeing good service, its not anywhere near as annoying as listening to my friends complaining constantly about paying $100 or $120 a month for their TV, phone and DSL "bundle."  I COME UNGLUED!  I ask which of my bills they would rather pay?   $110 a month for my BASIC DirecTV, or $110 a month for my Exede voice and 10G of SLOW internet I cant do crap on??
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 95 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Best advice is to not believe any sales pitch and go find out what the neighbors in your close proximity have and if they are happy. That is all that matters. Anyone else sick and tired of the people living in the rare sweet spot bragging about Viasat? Those lucky individuals act like they some how earned the good service by having a better install and equipment than the masses whose satellite internet service is poor. Not sure if they are that dense or just want to be annoying.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Anyone else sick and tired of the people living in the rare sweet spot bragging about Viasat?

No more so than I am of those who are fortunate enough to have other options than Viasat bragging about how great their new service is and are no longer subscribers - are they that dense to not realize unlimited wireless plans aren't available to all? It's a rhetorical question, no real need for an answer. I live in one of those rare dead zones. While the nearest towers are loaded to begin and a prepaid unlimited plan that is subject to prioritization at all times isn't much better than my current expereince - yes, I've checked using somebody else's mobile hotspot both from home and within spitting distance of the tower. If I wanted to jump in my truck to go and use a mobile hotspot, I'd  probably just go to McDonalds - it's closer.

It takes two to tango - if everybody agreed upon everything there'd be absolutely no need for this community and it would be pretty boring to tell the truth. It's ok to disagree but dispense with the ad hominem.

Nathan's got a right to his opinions, as do I, as do you, as do others and the good news is we all get to have different ones - everybody knows what they're like and everyone's got one. Nathan wasn't even bragging on his Viasat-2 service - just simply conveying his install experience. No real need to suggest others are being dense or annoying just because their opinion differs from yours - some might even suggest that is both dense and annoying. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Somehow the suggestion that reading the contract, doing your homework, evaluating all options and being an informed consumer before subscribing to satellite internet has now become controversial? What alternate universe is this? But welcome back Al.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 95 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
I am not bragging, also my wireless isn't unlimited. My Viasat experience was so bad my expectations are very low. I just want to get back to what I had in late 90's city life as far as internet. Also nothing wrong with reminding people to keep checking on other options as wireless service frequently expands without a lot of fan fare.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Try reminding them without saying they're dense or annoying you should have stopped at "That is all that matters." - the rest was simply annoying.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 95 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
The only people I said are dense and annoying are those who brag about Viasat acting like they earned their good service and ignore the fact they are just in a lucky spot.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Now you're being both dense and annoying - you correctly point out checking with neighbors to see how their service works for them, and then toss in some ad hominem that adds nothing to your assertion - diminishing the point you made.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 389 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Out of 500k or so residential customers vs the few dozen dissatisfied people on this board I think it’s pretty safe to assume that there are way more then just a few lucky subscribers like myself. I know of several happy subscribers personally.
Photo of Get Nosatisfaction

Get Nosatisfaction

• 7 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Oh yea. Viasat is just swimmin in positive reviews on the internet!

Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
That's  a good one!!!!  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Unsolicited reviews aren't a good indicator due to it being human nature for people to be much more likely to go out of their way to post a review about a product or service they're dissatisfied with vs the opposite.  
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 95 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Even if bad word travels 10x as fast the bad press on Viasat is huge compared to the good press, just look at BBB or consumer affairs. Also a lot of the good reviews are obvious shill postings on sites that promote Viasat. Their business practices are poor compared to even other internet providers. Two examples, they do not refund prepaid charges if you cancel service, even if you cancel one day into a month. They want you to return equipment at termination even if it is old and obsolete in hopes of sucking another $300 out of you.

On my last tech visit the guy said my dish was obsolete and he could not get parts for it, Viasat still wanted the transpoder back when I cancelled and informed them they would receiving something that a tech said belongs in the trash. I see plenty of intact Hughes Net dishes in areas that now have cable.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
I am not annoyed by people in good locations.  I am glad they have good service, however I do get angry with those who insist they have no problem, so no one else should!  Most of all VIASAT!  

They know my area is heavily congested.  They know there is no beam on VS1 dedicated to this area.  They know there is a problem with VS2 and it has no beam covering this area.

What have they done about it??

They added more subscribers here.
They eliminated "unlimited" plans here again.
They lowered the "up to" speed on plans offered here back to 12 Mbps.
They lowered my restricted speeds to below 1 Mbps, so I basically have NO internet if I go over now.
THEY CONTINUE TO CHARGE ME EVERY MONTH AS IF I WAS IN A GOOD LOCATION!

How does any of this benefit me?

Its not a matter of a "lucky few."  Its not "luck" and I HOPE its more than a "few" that are seeing what was claimed.  It is a matter of us "UNLUCKY FEW" that are NOT getting what we are paying for, those of us NOT seeing 25+ Mbps.  And the fact that NOBODY CARES!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
I was on the same beam as you Ron. It was horrible at times. I feel your pain. In 6+ years on that beam performance never got better. If anything, it got worse.

As for those of you that want to stick your head in the sand and think the poor reviews of Viasat are skewed, just keep telling yourself that. Plenty of four and five stared unsolicited reviews of products on Amazon for instance. If you have a good product, 60% of respondents are not going to say you have a terrible product.

As internet options continue to expand, satellite internet is going to struggle to be competitive in rural America. But as Viasat expands its global internet footprint, they will still have markets to be successful in.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
In my opinion, for residential service Viasat should focus on the truly rural and isolated. Those who can't get anything better. Isn't that what satellite internet should be for anyway?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Also a lot of the good reviews are obvious shill postings on sites that promote Viasat.
Or they're simply posts/reviews by people who have enjoyed their service.  Baseless assumptions of "shill postings" don't equate to fact.  

They want you to return equipment at termination even if it is old and obsolete in hopes of sucking another $300 out of you.
And people can avoid the charge by doing so.  What ViaSat owns they have a right to have returned, regardless of its age or obsolescence.  
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 185 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
It's in the contract .. They call the shots.
The consumer gets what the supplier allows and the supplier controls the assets . consumer only has the right to pay a early termination fee if still on time contract and return any or all equipment.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Plenty of four and five stared unsolicited reviews of products on Amazon for instance. 
Amazon solicits reviews for products purchased.  And the considerations for an ISP review are a bit different than for most items purchased at Amazon.

And I didn't say the poor reviews are skewed.  I said relying on unsolicited reviews as an indicator isn't a great idea because of human nature when it comes to said reviews.  And you might want to look it up if you think I "have my head in the sand" with that statement.  
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
ESU  YES!  In 6+ years as technology improves, my service with Viasat has continuously gone down the toilet!

I have seen several reports that Viasat and Hughesnet both are focusing more on internet for commercial air travel.  That is the future of their industry and THATS WHERE THE MONEY IS!!

It is a very humanitarian goal to provide high speed internet to us poor rural folks, but lets face it, the cable company doesnt want to spend the money to run a stinking wire out here ... not enough return on the investment.  Do you really think building, launching, and maintaining a satellite is cheaper?

DSL from "the village" ends at the wifes parents house 5 miles from us.  There are only 6 houses in that 5 miles.

Its a nice dream, its just not profitable.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
It is a very humanitarian goal to provide high speed internet to us poor rural folks, but lets face it, the cable company doesnt want to spend the money to run a stinking wire out here ... not enough return on the investment.
That's who I get angry at.  The ground based ISPs, and even the cell companies, not the satellite ISPs.  If they can't make a certain amount of profit per mile, the service stops.  SMH.  I get sick of seeing ads for Spectrum and Verizon FIOS.  

Then my state starts a "Broadband for All" initiative, getting so many people's hopes up, only for them to have some areas serviced by satellite internet.  So much for that idea.  :(     
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
Gabe U, first of all regarding Amazon reviews, I have learned you must READ THE REVIEWS not just go by the stars!  Customer ordered the wrong product, review is not even for the product advertised, they didnt like the color, it wasnt what they "thought" it was.  MY FAVORITE however was just 3 weeks ago, I bought AVS smoked acrylic rain guards for my new Ford SUV, one of the negative comments ... "Nobody has chrome ones for my Chevy Tahoe" ????

Dont know what state you are in but my state (Ohio) has an "internet for all" program recently instated.  The state is working with 2 private companies to provide high speed low cost internet to rural customers, but its cell phone based ... AWESOME IF YOU HAVE CELL SERVICE!!!

The reason we dont have DSL out here is the same reason we dont have cell towers, yea it requires running new lines, and taking better care of them, but also the fact we are so far from the "hub" and DSL and cell towers would require booster stations to boost the signal.

The same with the electric company, for decades their answer to expansion has simply been to run more wires.  Our electric grid out here is similar to everything in your home plugged into extension cords all running to one outlet.  One tree falls and 6 towns are without power.  The state doesnt care that 50+ square miles have no power, the actual number of customers affected relates to around 2 blocks in a major city, an otherwise "acceptable" outage.

I hate to bring up "politics" but the true heart of the issue lies with our horribly lacking and outdated infrastructure.  These huge corporations have milked us dry for decades raking in huge profits without putting anything back into the system, and our government has allowed it, and continues to allow it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
New York? I was reading an article where some ISP's are fighting to keep Hughesnet and Viasat to get any broadband expansion grants based on their inability to deliver high-speed internet the past.

Lest we forget Viasat's own Twitter account broadcasting 25Mbps across the continental United States. Still waiting for that...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Ron,

I'm in NY.  Some areas got actual ground service, but others ended up with what they already had available, which is ViaSat and HughesNet.  And, to top it off, they actually gave money to these companies.  For what I can't figure out.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to give money to companies that already offer free installation (to most).   

Our electric service is pretty bad here, too, but not THAT bad.  Late last week we had two outages.  One for about fifteen minutes in the morning, then for about five hours in late afternoon of the next day.  That was unusual, but it does go out here at least a few times a year, though normally only for a short amount of time.  Twice, though, in the last 14 years, I've had to trash everything in my fridge and freezer due to the power being out for more than a day.   

And I agree regarding our infrastructure.  It's in a very sad state.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
ExSat,

Yep, NY.  One of the requirements of the initiative was that the service had to offer at least 25Mbps service.  Neither sat company can promise that, so I don't think either one should have gotten a dime.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Yea I did read about that. It won't stop either company though for fighting for the money and claiming they ca deliver.

The nationwide broadband coverage map is another joke. Wireless carriers exaggerate their coverage areas, satellite will exaggerate their speed, and companies promise the moon and deliver a meteor. In the end the consumer is the one to suffer.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
Ah yes, good old NY!  VERY familiar with it.  Grew up on the border down near the Hudson Valley, dads farm is near Binghamton, sister up in Syracuse, grandmas family is from way up in the St Lawrence region, great grandma was a Tupper if youre familiar with the Tupper Lake area.  But regardless, many areas very much like here, hills, farms and a whole lot of NOTHING!

NOTHING prepared me for here!  I was in construction for 30+ years in CT and NY and worked on new construction and buildings dating back to the late 1700s.  My house here was built in 1900, and as of 2000 still had no electric or indoor plumbing!  The infrastructure here is just as antiquated and forgotten.  Any improvements were only what was absolutely needed, and done as cheaply as possible.

Our power was out briefly Thursday, only a few minutes, our last serious outage was couple weeks ago when a tree took out a pole transformer up the road at my neighbors house ... 3 DAYS without power!  Average here ranges 8 hours to 2 WEEKS!  3 times a year to 3 times a month!

I had a phone outage that lasted 3 days, during that repair they discovered my neighbors entire buried line needed to be replaced so a contractor came in to dig the new line, AND TOOK MINE OUT!  3 days without service, 3 days with service restored then a FULL WEEK without phone again! 10 days without phone in 2 weeks.  My first call after my phone was restored again was to sign up for Exede voice.

FYI the county came out to mow the shoulders, only done twice a year, and took out (what the repairman told me) 13 junction boxes!  When they hit my junction box they ripped my neighbors line and broke it underground.  The Ditch Witch used to bury his new line ripped mine out.

UNBELIEVABLE!!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Does anyone know what happened to Casual Observer aka "others"?  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Does anyone know what happened to Casual Observer aka "others"?  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
He is probably lurking around.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
It was odd that he just disappeared all of a sudden, and his page is gone, like either a mod deleted it, or he did.  I know the person went by a few different names over the last many months (I won't say which ones for his safety's sake), and I could usually track when he switched from one name to the next, but if he's back under another one I don't know what it is.  

It's just strange for such a long time member.  
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3056 Posts
  • 1962 Reply Likes
He  most likely has gone because, while trying to help people, he got so many discouraging replies. I can't blame him for becoming inactive, but I am sure he is  still reading the posts for the entertainment value.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2430 Posts
  • 2161 Reply Likes
He's probably on vacation somewhere relaxing.

Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Was watching Game of Thrones and couldn’t stop thinking how much Little Finger reminds me of Viasat.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 300 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
You guys need to download the TESTit app it sends actual speed to government so they know your not getting speeds of 25 plus and they can see where actual coverage is instead of the fake info they Get from provider to get government money
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 28 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
This all stops the minute we get together and decide enough.   Not paying one more dime until this... this and this.....  We have the power.  We are just too selfish and self serving to use it.  It's all about what can I get.    In Europe they laugh at how gullible we are to advertising and how we are letting corporate America take over our country and scam all of us right before our eyes still believing that these companies actually care about us.   Meanwhile WE have the power.  I don't the the power WE have the power.   THESE COMPANIES DO NOT CARE ABOUT US THEY CARE ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE AND THAT IS ALL.   THEY WILL DO AND SCAM ANYTHING THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH TO FURTHER THAT BOTTOM LINE.   WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2429 Posts
  • 2161 Reply Likes
Uh What?  Sorry, I was sleeping...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 213 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Based on the activity of this board lately, you are not the only one!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1720 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
Wait... is it the weekend already?  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2429 Posts
  • 2161 Reply Likes
Have they worked out the new "throttling" policy and spread the wealth around better?