Yesterday Was Thursday, Today Must Be Wifi Friday!

• Article
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hello all!  Lizzie is enjoying a beach, or a pool, or something far away from here in cold, snowy Denver and asked me to post the link to this week's Wifi Friday!

This week is a quick overview of the Viasat Wireless Gateway, Viasat's new modem exclusive to the Viasat 2 satellite.  The article goes a bit into the bones of the device, as well as the reasons behind its unique shape.

https://corpblog.viasat.com/viasat-2-service-comes-with-a-powerful-wireless-router/
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 721 Posts
  • 331 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Gary

Gary

• 118 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
That looks great and sounds greater. I must still be in the dark ages where Viasat is concerned. My modem does not have wifi capabilities and I needed to buy a separate ASUS wifi router. I have been out of this world on satellite since Wild Blue first started and I think that as long as I am not complaining Viasat has no need to upgrade old customers.
I go through most of the same issues the rest here do. Have to reboot fairly regular and the net drops out at the hint of a storm and stays gone as long as the clouds are around but I only play on the computer so if it doesn't work I go play with something else. Complaining is useless in my experience with both WB and Viasat.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1925 Posts
  • 1606 Reply Likes
Thanks Matt B.  ( This is a tough crowd..)
Existing customers are on VS2.  We have heard from them on this forum.
(Edited)
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 232 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
That's not really the point. You can't get any 25Mbs plan whether you are new or not on my beam. All this crap about 25Mbs Nationwide was a load of El Toro Kaka. And that is the reason why we have become a tough crowd. I probably will not leave this beam, but I think I should have the option to make my own decision. Quite frankly I am tired of being a mushroom. Those who are  on V2 know what the flippin Router looks like. And those who are not don't give a rat's rectum about it
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1925 Posts
  • 1606 Reply Likes
O.K.  That makes more sense.  You don't have any VS2 plans yet.  Others do.

"Existing customers won't see viasat 2 until 2020 "
Photo of Cindy Berryman King Orloff

Cindy Berryman King Orloff

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Is this router/modem on for the Viasat 2 customers?? Also if for every customer, how much or extra is it to use? Thanks
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1949 Posts
  • 910 Reply Likes
Someone sure is grumpy.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 410 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Cindy, To answer your question...The new Viasat Wireless Gateway is used for the service on Viasat-2. It is not available for use on Viasat-1.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 232 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Okaaaaay, and I want to know this why? Existing customers won't see viasat 2 until 2020  (probably) , and by then it will be just as  congested as Viasat 1.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 392 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
RE: "...know...why? Existing customers won't see viasat 2 until 2020  (probably)

Bean counters' Triage...when newbie sales plummet, then 'old timers' come next....when supplies are limited.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 232 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
That Sounds about right! But my point is still valid why put this out until it is ready for the old timers? Why not wait until the "Old Timers" are able to get plans?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3446 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
Because it's called marketing and generating interest in Viasat-2 - Lizzie has been posting links to the corporate blog for several weeks now and Matt B is continuing that tradition. I tend to check that blog on a regular basis and this is old news in that regard. They're pointing out sources of information, but there are in fact existing customers who have moved to Viasat-2.

Some will find it interesting, others not and I'll put you down in the latter camp ;)

Some of us on the other hand would even prefer even more details (rather than simple marketing info)  in evaluating whether we'll switch or not, such as that found at:

https://www.wildbluetools.com/content/FS/30/32/I010100_ViasatWiFiGateway_RouterSettingsTab.pdf

https://www.wildbluetools.com/content/FS/30/32/I010100_ViasatWiFiGateway_ParentalTab.pdf

https://www.wildbluetools.com/content/FS/30/32/I010100_ViasatWiFiGateway_WiFiSettings.pdf
(Edited)
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 232 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
How about useful info like some actual customer reviews of the gateway? It's all garbage if the unit has enough limitations that you HAVE to use a router behind it to get the job done. Pretty shape does not make a good unit. I want to know "Where's the beef?"
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3446 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
How about useful info like some actual customer reviews of the gateway?
How about customers supply those and not Lizzie, Matt B or the Marketing and Corporate Communications department? Try Wendy's for the other question.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2716 Posts
  • 1491 Reply Likes
I am not sure there are many customers out there that can supply much of anything. We have onky heard from a couple on here and they are not very active.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3446 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
So let's berate Matt B and Lizzie for doing their jobs, I guess...

Everybody's grumpy because they aren't at liberty to provide a detailed roll-out schedule - let's shoot the messengers.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1949 Posts
  • 910 Reply Likes
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1969 Posts
  • 926 Reply Likes
I'm having beans and rice tonight.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 118 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Wrong forum and exactly why I am not on Book Face.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1969 Posts
  • 926 Reply Likes
And cookies for desert.
Photo of Tres Bien

Tres Bien

• 45 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
desert lead object

I'm having it for dessert, not advocating for desertion, a lethal practice in either approach. 

This will all make sense if you study if for a bit, but suffice it say that in lieu of attempting to understand the totality of my ravings, know that they are in essence merely a spelling correction.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 595 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes
Viasat's modems are more interesting looking than what I get with HughesNet, especially the previous model with all of the different colored lights.  
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2940 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes
A lot on here like to call the VS2 Wireless Gateway modem "The Toblerone" modem (after the triangle shaped candy). Keeping in with the "pyramid shape" this is a early sneak peak at our Voice phones: 

(kidding obviously)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1969 Posts
  • 926 Reply Likes
Ten million zillion points goes out to Brad!
Photo of Tres Bien

Tres Bien

• 45 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Does it have a wired connection?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3446 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
It has two wired (Ethernet/LAN) ports. See page 2 at:

http://www.wildbluetools.com/content/FS/20/23/I010600_VWGManual.pdf
(Edited)
Photo of Tres Bien

Tres Bien

• 45 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Oh, perfect!

File saved just in case they ever get me a VS2 beam.

Thanks.