Data complaints

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Seems that i look at all of these post on here always something that the customer needs to do well how about exede find out what is going on cause alot of people have the same complaint and it seems to be that everyones data usage is screwy come on exede take care of you customers and stop blaming them for it. Why should we have to shut down our routers unplug everything and get third party blockers just to use your internet service. It is more of a hassle than anything and exede doesnt want to fix any problem
Photo of Randy

Randy

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Vanessa Raymond

Vanessa Raymond

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I read these comments on a daily basis and have not replied...however, now I feel the need to reply!  I too have been so disappointed with Exede and am saddened that I got "roped" in to a 2-yr contract!  The customer service is horrific!
I am not seeming to have the troubles with data usage that I am constantly reading about, but you can bet that I will be watching mine very closely now.  
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3084 Posts
  • 3029 Reply Likes
Since you seem to indicate you have a router, does it have traffic/usage monitoring facilities built-in which would allow you to verify your claim? Regardless, what brand/model router?

Of course if you turn your router off, it's also likely that all of the statistics are reset and lost assuming it maintains those statistics to begin with.
(Edited)
Photo of Randy

Randy

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
It is a belkin 592 and if it is turned off then nothing is using internet cause that is all i use it for and it is password protected the only time anything is hooked up directly is when my son plays video games online after midnight. If the modem for the satelite is updating it should come off of my data. I have my laptop and ppcsettings so as if it need to update do it afyer midnight plus they are always shut down completely. Like i said before it was fine first 3 months and we have done nothing different then than what we are now
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3084 Posts
  • 3029 Reply Likes
If referring to Windows Updates, how exactly are you scheduling them for after midnight?
Photo of Randy

Randy

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Well internet police on my computer under settings i can schedule when it checks for updates and when it updates and on top of that it will only update when it is being shut down so guess what it also has a notification when going to shut down it will say you have updates so then i just uplug it from the router and yes my router is wireless pluss has 3 ports in the back but we maybe only use the pc 1 a month everything else is tablet or cell phone and i can turn the wifi off on those items so got that covered any other questions
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3084 Posts
  • 3029 Reply Likes
No more questions, it's clear you don't really want any help and assume everyone's setup is identical to yours.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Everyone here on the forum is simply trying to offer their help and experience to clear up these data issues for you. Many customers have received advice that led to the resolution of their exact issue. I, as an Exede moderator, am here to help as well and I can always be reached by email at exedelistens@viasat.com. I did respond to your last post, titled the same, and I hope to hear from you soon.
(Edited)
Photo of Randy

Randy

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Oh no i want the help i just try to cover my bases before i rant and make a complaint. It shouldnt be held against us paying for a service provide by them that the automatic ads and videos be charged to us when we dont use our unused data we dont get it back. And also we cant look up ourselves to see what our data is being used on why is that. Is that so we can say well i didnt do that and why is that coming off my data cause that was one thing they tol me was facetime or tanngo app like that was used and guess what none of our phones have them apps so how could 3 % of data used been that. If people dont argue or complain then companoes try and take advatage of them and when calling customer service get told well you was misinformed take what ya get and we will gladley take your money for the next 2 years. Thats is all i wasnt trying to sound rude but people make comments on post like this and just assume people dont have a clue well i apologize if i came out the wrong way just frustrated with this whole deal
Photo of Randy

Randy

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
And we dont use tango or facetime or anything like that i was told that only thing that would use the data was anything live streaming like social media videos and gaming. Well as i make phone calls i find out thats not true that my webpages and email are also using data. Like i said it just became a issue and they are no different than the cell phone companys gouging people on the data. I am open to any and all suggestions. Just dont feel i should have to go through as much of a hassle just to use my internet
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3084 Posts
  • 3029 Reply Likes
Certain elements of web pages are considered streaming media (ads and videos that play automatically).

An Exede moderator here can give you a general, categorized breakdown that will point you in the right direction but little else. Unfortunately, Exede only counts data and the burden is on you to determine how/when it's being used or provide some evidence that it's being counted incorrectly. 
(Edited)
Photo of Randy

Randy

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Also i have a question if most people have these issue was was none of this stuff explained when signing up for it. As to what you will need to do to keep data usage down and shuting everything off when not in use.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Randy - 

The problem with internet traffic is that without getting very invasive into what sites you are visiting and the content that is being pulled down Exede can only give you an analysis based on the signature of the data flowing through their system.

I agree that some better tools need to be made available to the customers, but for now it is what it is.  I am overall happy with Exede as far as everything EXCEPT for the data analysis not being available and the relatively low data caps, however where I live there are no other options at this time and Exede has the best "free zone" policy so far.  You don't get unmetered usage from any other provider at the moment.

So back to your problem - what is chewing up your data.  Here are some things you can ask for from Exede or additional steps you can take:

1.  How much data have I used during my metered vs unmetered times.  In other words ask how much have you used during your free zone vs how much have you used during the metered time slot.  This can help you ensure the data used during the free zone is properly showing on your account.  Some people (including myself) have had an isolated instance of the system not showing usage properly.  Not often, maybe 3 times in 31 months, but it does happen.

2.  Ask for a breakdown by date over the last 30 days or an analysis of your account to see if there is a particular day or two that used an unusally large amount of data.  This may take a bit of time for someone to pull, but in my case they identified 2 days where a total of 4 GB were used.

3.  Disable your cell devices from connecting to your wireless at home.  We found even though they phones (Android) had wireless turned off, some of them connected automatically to wifi once they were plugged in to charge.  You can disable their MAC address (most routers allow something like this) to ensure they cannot accidentally get put on wifi.

4.  There is a service that for $15.00 / year can remotely monitor your Exede BW usage and supposedly gives you an easy to read breakdown of your usage.  I have not tried it yet, but it is my next step if I still have problems.

5.  Make sure there are NO cloud synch apps on your systems.  Google Drive, Skydrive, Dropbox, etc.  are terrible data hogs if you are not careful about using them.

6.  Install the Adblockers.  I use AdBlocker Plus in all my browsers.  Pages are faster, cleaner, and best of all I don't have to look at all those adds.

7.  Watch which browser you use.  Chrome is a great browser, but opens a LOT of connections every time it is opened or you change pages.  Google likes to know what you are doing :)

8.  Install a BW usage monitor on each of your devices that support it and make notes for a few days or a week on how much data is being consumed.  This may help you find a particular devices that you didn't know was using the data.

9.  Run current commercial AV products such as Webroot, Mcafee, Norton, AVG, AVAST, F-Prot, etc.  I see a lot of customers with viruses on their system that use a tremendous amount of data.  Keep in mind when you run these products, schedule updates to be during the Free Zone or they themselves can use a lot of data staying up to date.  My Bitdefender on one system was updating every hour - not good for data usage.

10.  Limit the use of remote control applications such as Logmein or GotoMeeting.  While convenient, they can use a bit of data if used for long periods of time.

Blaming Exede for high data usage, while it may make people feel better, does not solve the problem and is not really due to anything they are doing.  Now, that being said I would love some more openness on how the data accounting is done.  For instance is it a true measure in 1K increments or is their rounding involved at the start and stop of each metering period?  I would love some tools for us to see on our own without having to contact Exede to get the statistics. These I believe are coming in the future, but they are not here yet.

If you spend the time to do all of the above, you should start finding the problems with your data utilization - or start being able to ensure that you are NOT actually using the data during the metered times and then you can open a case with customer service to present your evidence and I assure you from experience they will work to correct whatever the problem is if it is something with your account or their system.  

Blaming Exede for your data usage is kind of like blaming the Gas station for not actually pumping 10 gallons into your tank so you run out of gas, but in reality you may have a hole in the tank.  You have to make sure (do your due dilligence and gather the information required) that you don't have a leak before you go back blaming the Gas station.

A friend of mine had the same problem with Hughesnet.  For months he was up in arms about the same type of problems.  Then he found out that his son was plaing XBOX games during the weekends all day long and that was why his data cap get getting blown away.  He said the same thing - my son only plays after midnight only to find out that his son was not listening to him and doing it during the day anyway.  

Keep in mind that internet data leakage is a lot like electricity.  You don't think that phone charger plugged into the wall without a phone connected to it is using electricity, but the total sum of all those types of devices in a home left plugged in can increase the bill enough to be noticeable.  I unplugged all of our stuff when not in use and was surprised to see our bill drop $10.00-$15.00 for our electric.

I hope this is helpful and helps put a perspective on things.  Satellite internet is a blessing in that finally people who have no other alternative can get high speed.  It is also a curse due to the data caps - which are a necessity to keep Quality of Service where it needs to be overall for its customers.

I am more than happy to share any additional snippets of information that might be helpful and will answer questions as best I can, but I find when it comes to situations like this taking a step back and being objective will help resolve the issue much better than remaining frustrated.  
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2510 Posts
  • 1545 Reply Likes
Randy, here is a link to some free bandwidth monitoring programs.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/monitor-internet-usage/

Numbers 1 and 2 seem to be the most popular of some of the regulars on the forum. They provide you with some good information about when and where data is being used.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I don't want to sound like a broken record about streaming but I also want to remind people that HD is a data hog and the "Achilles Heel" so to speak on the higher speed is most streaming sites default to the best quality video for your available speed, UNLESS you set it differently.  I have figured out that I can stream some of the content I want if I set down the resolution.  My best example is a 2 hour plus basketball game, lowest setting 240p and I usually see 0.5 GB or less usage for the entire game.  In HD I am betting it would have used maybe 5 GB or more.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Julie, I am sorry it took me so long to respond to your
post here. Been having trouble responding. I did respond to your email
earlier today and look forward to straightening this out for you. As far
as the KB article goes, the information included above is not %100
accurate. If you'd like to go over that article together to clarify
what's going on, it will need to be done off public forum as those
articles and their numbers are employee facing information. Thank you.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.