Deku, Champion

• 446 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
@>@ OH MY FRICKING GODDNESS!!! @>@ let me go check mine!!! :D
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 170 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
As of 4:50pm EST I got 41.13 download and 3.67 up via http://speedtest.via-satellite.net/
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 807 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
It apparently isn’t widespread.

Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 65 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
The weirdness continues. I’m afraid my modem will explode....
Photo of Huachyx Flores

Huachyx Flores

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is your Beam?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1206 Posts
  • 578 Reply Likes
I am not sure how accurate the speed test you are running is. Upload speed should be relatively constant and not impacted by congestion. Upload speed is not to be that fast.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2386 Posts
  • 1458 Reply Likes
This is not happening in beam 314, central New York state. It must be occurring in select beams at this time.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 65 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I think you may be right. It looks more like 20 down and 3 up. Think that app is screwy today for some reason.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 170 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
http://speedtest.via-satellite.net/ try using this Im at 31 down as of 6:10pm est and up until this week highest I got on my beam on silver plan was 19mbps
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1206 Posts
  • 578 Reply Likes
20 down and 3 up makes a lot more sense. Still very, very good.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 807 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Upload speeds have often been close to 5 up for me. While less subject to congestion, all these cloud backups would potentially clog it similar to streaming downloads.
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am in NY as well and I must be on a congested beam as speeds are very slow during peak hours (I am on Liberty Pass). During off-peak hours speeds are typically good so I am able to use the download feature on Netflix and watch on my iPad in the evening.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2386 Posts
  • 1458 Reply Likes
Travis, You didn't say what part of NY you are located in. I am in central New York state, beam 314, and am on the Freedom 150 GB - 12 Mbps plan. My daytime speeds are usually in the 16.0 to 18.0 Mbps range, evenings in the 8.0 to 12.0 Mbps.

Since you stated that you are on Liberty Pass, you should be seeing speeds in the 1 to 5 Mbps in the daytime, and somewhat less during the evening. You might have a problem with your equipment, an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com, along with your account number, phone  number and a description of your problem. The ViaSat employee there will take a look at your modem with their system and get back with you.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1015 Posts
  • 448 Reply Likes
Crap speed during the evening is normal for the Liberty Pass.
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Steve,

I am in upstate NY with the Liberty 12 plan. I did call customer support and they checked my modem and said it was working fine. Speeds during non-peak hours are good so it is congestion in the beam. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1206 Posts
  • 578 Reply Likes
Those speeds are horrible!
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 446 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
i agree with ya... cause the speeds are EXETREMELY HORRIFYING!!! @>@ also... they must call customer service like... RIGHT NOW!!!! if i had that i wouldnt even be able to like load up a webpage @>@
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, speeds are terrible during the peak hours. I usually do not get any better than 0.25 download speeds. 
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 2843 Posts
  • 2787 Reply Likes
Yep pretty typical on my beam while on Liberty pass to be .2 Mbps or less - and when de-prioritized on unlimited that's typically what others are complaining about - in both cases (Liberty and Unlimited) you wind up continuously being pushed to the back of the line as others who haven't exhausted their priority data get to cut in line. It's what we agreed to and I can't complain... it's not FIFO.

In return for that tradeoff I get "virtually unlimited" during non-peak hours and it (Liberty) works well for those who can leverage non-peak hours while avoiding unlimited's video "optimization". 
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2609 Posts
  • 814 Reply Likes
Liberty Pass will drop below that 1-5mbps range in peak hours on the busier beams
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2609 Posts
  • 814 Reply Likes
http://exede.com/liberty  See Liberty Pass 
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I understand that speeds are slower during non-peak hours. As mentioned, I am able to download Netflix shows/movies during non-peak and watch them on my iPad later in the evening. 

Old Labs - any other suggestions of what I can do during non-peak hours to leverage the internet? Thanks.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1015 Posts
  • 448 Reply Likes
I use Playon to download tons of video during the day on the Liberty Pass. I then use Plex to stream the video to my Roku TV.

It works really nice when others are crying about slow speeds during Primetime.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 2843 Posts
  • 2787 Reply Likes
As Stephen mentioned Playon is the only one I'm currently aware of (other than Netflix now allowing some select content to be downloaded for offline viewing).

Nightshift used to be a good option (a router based solution that effectively turned it into a DVR) but unfortunately is no longer offered to consumers.  

I did have hopes a couple years back when after a firmware update to the modem that a mysterious new section appeared on the modem status page called media storage device - I thought maybe Viasat was coming out with the equivalent of Nightshift as a value added service. Alas it hasn't come to pass yet and just as mysteriously disappeared, but with the modem/router now standard perhaps Viasat should consider it since it's better suited to router functionality than the modem functionality  - note I said value added meaning extra cost and more ARPU marketeers if that's any incentive and I know you're listening!!!

Surely you jest... media storage device??? What's that? A device to store media but that's not important right now and don't call me Shirley.         
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1206 Posts
  • 578 Reply Likes
Amazon also allows you to download some content on a tablet to watch later.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 807 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Most movie services (iTunes, Vudu, MoviesAnywhere) do the same.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1206 Posts
  • 578 Reply Likes
Problem is unless you use Nightshift (no longer sold) or the Playon combo you can't download videos to play on HD TV's. Heck on tablets I am fine with 480p. But then, I rarely watched video on my tablet.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 807 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
I’m working on a couple of options. You can download the movies and stream them to a Roku or other device using windows 10. I’ll let you know how it goes. It won’t be 4K, but it downloads HD. Man I like 4K.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1206 Posts
  • 578 Reply Likes
4K is amazing. But I will live with 1080p :).

Of course, others think standard definition from a decade ago is acceptable.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1015 Posts
  • 448 Reply Likes
I can't tell the difference between 480p and iMax.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 2843 Posts
  • 2787 Reply Likes
Order a pair of Tac glasses as seen on TV, I though I was watching a Falcons scrimmage on Saturday until I put mine on - and then the Eagles showed up. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1206 Posts
  • 578 Reply Likes
My parents use to think how great 480p was too. Then they got HD. Then the HD went out for a few days and they had to drop to 480p. I didn't hear the end of that. It was like the TV was completely broke.
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the help. Netflix downloads seem to work fairly well for now. Speeds were better last night (.80 down) which was better than most evenings. I could stream with little to no buffering.
Photo of Cindy Berryman King Orloff

Cindy Berryman King Orloff

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My downloads and uploads have been pretty good, 30. and 40.s but today because of bad weather, snowing I'm not getting very good but that's to be expected. So not too bad on good days!
Photo of Dan White

Dan White

• 67 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Looking good.  Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1015 Posts
  • 448 Reply Likes
Shame on you people for enjoying high speeds.  You all should be ashamed of yourself.