Wow! 6 days and 105GB? Is that even plausible?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I've had the Silver 25 for 6 days now, and it states I have used 105GB of data. This is patently absurd. There haven't been any major updates of computers, no streaming, very little video viewing on mobile devices (m not sure where the burn is being measured from. Thanks!
Photo of Cris Rogers

Cris Rogers

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • curious

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Cris Rogers

Cris Rogers

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My question was truncated. Can the exede customer email provide IP address totals of usage so I can begin to collate data; purchasing a router with monitoring today to track myself.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 990 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
I guess they are just guessing who’s breaking the law when they warn or ban people for illegal activities then.
Photo of Cris Rogers

Cris Rogers

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
They have to log IP's and port/protocol data - no doubt in my mind there; keeping and data-mining that data, not so much, but the 'law breakers' are pumping huge data on strange ports or black listed IPs. They should be pretty easy to spot with automation.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 990 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
True. I don’t think they keep the data, because unlike google, they don’t have the multiple server farms to keep it (unless google buys it from them).
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 94 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
It is feasably possible for someone to develop software to provide further detail (& history) then what's provided by our Viast/Exede Dashboard tools.  Each Viast modem has a Unique MAC address and is assigned a uniue IPV6 IP address - It's the MAC address that defines the indivual user/household.  HOWEVER this would require additional computing power/resources (read COST) then what's currently available out our Viasat Gateways that manage the connections between Viasat 1 and the high speed (Fiber) ground connections to the internet.  Plus I don't think Viasat wants to get into this level of "Data Mining".
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2573 Posts
  • 1582 Reply Likes
And most of us do not want Viasat to get into that level of invasion of our privacy.

However, as many of us do, all you need is a wireless router that has traffic monitoring capabilities.  There are many on the market in a reasonable price range. my ASUS AC1900P router gives me the total usage by the day, month, and the individual usage by device on my network, in addition to a breakdown of the usage by device.

As an added benefit, the range of the wireless signal is greatly enhanced over that in the Viasat WiFi modem.
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 94 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
What other equipment do you have connected?  If you have a DISH Hopper or DirecTV Whole Home DVR connected these could be downloading "on Demand" content wiht just  a push ot the DVR's remote control device or user setting up a recording(s).  For tracking device useage I have a device that will work with certain WiFi routers that keeps data on all devices connected to the WiFi router.  The "Smart Phone" software can group these devices by their specifc family member into groups.  The software can set usege limits by type, website, {i.e. AMAZON, YOUTUBE, music, Videos, ...].  The software can "PAUSE" the Family Members group and can can "PAUSE" at the device level.  There are many other options that I won't go into more details here.  The devcie is the "CIRCLE HOME" (by Disney).  I bought mine from Amazon.  My daughter showed me her iPhone APP which she uses to control/track her kid's internet activity.  My younger kids have become heavy YOUTUBE user's which they do a lot of at school but I needed a way to control their AT HOME useage.  Recently discovered one of my girls was using our "Guest" access and for some reason the CIRCLE HOME" was not working for this WiFi access.  My fix was to change the "Guest" access password.  I could also turn GUEST access OFF via WiFi routers software.  Anyhow I'm sure there are other such devices that will do the same kind of thing.  Happy shopping/hunting.  OH as a final note this device only works with certain WiFi routers - I didn't check that before I purchased - just got lucky that it works with my Cisco SMART WiFi router.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 331 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes
And if you changed plans in the middle of your billing cycle the usage that has accumulated on your older plan does not get reset but counts toward your usage on the newer plan, depending on what date your account  resets, changing plans also does not alter your reset date.
Photo of Cris Rogers

Cris Rogers

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No on both accounts, Greg or Bama- I’m a net new customer that started effectively on New Year’s Day. I have 2 laptops, a tablet and 3 phones (all devices are locked down to avoid ‘bleeding’ data
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1530 Reply Likes
"(all devices are locked down to avoid ‘bleeding’ data"

Wish I had a nickle for every time someone said that.
Photo of Cris Rogers

Cris Rogers

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
How much would you have? ;-)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1859 Posts
  • 846 Reply Likes
What size is your TV?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1530 Reply Likes
46".  Bigger is not always better, they tell me.
(Edited)
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1531 Posts
  • 873 Reply Likes

What size is your TV?
That, coming from the guy who just got a 55" with built-in Roku

Mine's a 24" LG 4K IPS monitor.  Who needs a TV ?

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1859 Posts
  • 846 Reply Likes
The bigger the tv, the less data you will use. Its not rocket science.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 990 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
And electricity too. It also cuts heating bills by a third.
Photo of Cris Rogers

Cris Rogers

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
65" 4k so it's essentially free, right?  (That rascal is not connected at all.  It's not happy about it and yells at me regularly, but we have no streaming services in our domicile.)