Looking to compare speeds on Classic plan, Beam 329

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
  • (Edited)
Would other people on classic EXEDE plan and in Beam 329 mind sharing some download/upload speeds they are getting during primetime and LNFZ? (for comparison's sake, I am using speedtest.net)

I am asking this because I have an Exede Classic 12 plan in this beam--with an allowance of 10gb/month....and my speeds from about 5p-2or3am are getting slower and slower....no where near the Exede promised speeds of avg. 10-12 download for example? (I never go over my allowance so that isn't the problem).

I am puzzled because some other people who live in the same beam area I do are saying they are getting 10-12 download speeds consistently and I would love to see some actual speedtest numbers from other customers who live in the area I do (for the time period I specified which is known to be a "more congested" time).

I haven't found any reason to think that my problem is equipment related, and my daytime speeds are considerably better, at least some of the time, although I don't know that they "average" the promised 10-12 Mbps download speed....

So, I did think it might help those of use in this beam to know if there are other people like me, maybe a lot of people, having such slow speeds?

Here is a list of the speedtest measurements I got for Dec 2015:

RECENT DOWNLOAD SPEEDS EXEDE CLASSIC
(without having gone anywhere near
over allowance)

12/30/15—6:40p—2.88/0.54

12/30/15 6:14p 2.9/1.23

12/29/15 8:02p 3.4/0.78

12/28/15 6:32p 1.5/0.82

12/26/15 10:09p 5.34/0.63

12/26/15 9:41p 2.43/0.46

12/16/15 7:50p 2.68/0.22

12/11/15 6:20p 8.43/0.52

12/10/15 1:18a 3.09/1.05

Thank you so much to anyone willing to help.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I cannot consistently stream Netflix during primetime congestion hours while on the Liberty Pass. Maybe once since the 27th of December did it work ok. Most of the time it is view a few minutes, buffer a few minutes, view a few minutes, buffer a few minutes, rinse and repeat. That is with Netflix at the lowest quality setting. Supposedly Netflix accounts for something like 70 percent of all traffic on the internet (that stat may be old). I know they have launched an initiative to re-encode or change their streaming as they have worked on a more efficient method of delivering the video.

So, bottom line is I doubt at this current time you will have much success streaming video consistently if on Liberty Pass during the congested hours. I have had some success with low quality (144 bps to 360 bps) youtube vids but there too it is a mixed result.

Just wanted to let folks know before they switched to a Liberty Plan. One nice thing about classic when LNFZ works well is that you can schedule big downloads for the LNFZ and then use Priority Data for things like Netflix during prime hours. I think on the lowest settings a 2 hour Netflix movie usually consumes around 300 MB of data.so you could get about 3 per GB which is about 30 per month if you didn't do anything else on a 10 GB plan. That was my result, your mileage may vary.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Good info--thanks again.  back to the drawing board....and the idea of a new kind of Exede plan where for less money I could have just 1-5Mbps as my speeds till my data ran out....if it did--probably for me it wouldn't ever run out--my data allowance would just last longer...
this is the best i've come up with so far--think it would work?

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I don't think a lot of people would be happy with those speeds after having used the current services. Also with the FCC rulings on internet and minimum broadband speeds I am also not sure. Fortunatley I don't have to deal with all the regulatory stuff, but Exede does. I am sure the idea has been floated but not sure it is the direction Exede wants to go since they are now offering the 25 Mbps plans in some areas.

That being said Liberty basically moves people in that direction once their data is consumed, hey it converted me from a Classic 15 to Liberty 30 user. My usage during prime hours has gone up, but I bet overall usage is the same or maybe less than before as I am no longer kicking downloads during LNFZ. I don't plan on going over on my data consistently, but if I do I am no longer stressed about being dead in the water.

So in the end my usage may be around the same on a monthly basis but Exede has doubled what they are able to get from me. In return I get to use the Internet more like I want to. The caveat is that a Liberty 10 and Liberty 30 user have the exact same experience once Priority Data is used up so I foresee overall more users switching from a Classic 15 or 25 plan to Liberty 10 and using way more data than before for less per month in revenue. In return Exede can throttle back the data for Pass users theoretically allowing more people to subscribe to service which will hopefully increase overall revenues.

All of these, of course is the result of a skeptical, analytic mind trying to give an outsider's perception of the intentions of Exede. I cannot and do not speak for them, and any input from Exede is, of course, welcome and greatly appreciated.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Hmmmm....I wonder if Exede offering 25Mbps service is like the car manufacturers cranking out the small fuel efficient cars to improve the "average" miles per gallon of their product line.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
LOL JEP - 

The reality is at 25 Mbps you can use up your 10 GB allotment of data in approximately 57 Minutes and 15 seconds if you can get sustained throughput.

At full speed 30 GB  can be exhausted in 2 Hours, 51 Minutes, and 7 seconds.  What that really means is in the end that is all of the time that Exede would have to commit to offer the full priority data speeds and then could drop people down after that.

Now think about this.  With Priority data running at the full 12 Mpbs during LNFZ users can pull about 25 GB of data EACH DAY with no caps on data usage and no use of Priority Data.  Extrapolate that over 30 days which comes out to a whopping 750 GB of data usage each month that is free and clear and not subject to any limitation.  Even the Freedom Plans stop at about 150 GB before Exede starts to look to get folks to do something different.

Well on congested beams you don't get 12 Mbps during free zones.  So let's drop that to 1.5 Mbps.  In a 5 hour period you should be able to pull down around 3 GB of data.  Again, over 30 days, that is still 90 GB of data free and clear.  Suddenly I see why Exede is willing to move to virtually "uncapped" Liberty Pass plans.  They can offer better speeds to users that go over their Priority data, and not have to provide full speed access to all these classic users in that 5 hour window.  

If you calculate an average of 1.5 Mbps over a 24 hour period, that puts it right at about 15 GB per 24 hours.  Again over 30 days, that puts the potential data at 450 GB.  At 4 Mpbs that goes to 40 GB per 24 hours and 1.2 TB in a month.  Most likely it won't be at an average of 4 Mbps, more likely closer to the 1.5, but at that point it is still 300 GB less than the potential data usage by someone getting full speeds during the LNFZ.

I also now also see why Exede doesn't care about a Liberty user eating away a 100 GB of data AFTER their Priority data is exhausted, they already are doing it with the free zone, so why not do it on the Pass and be able to limit the speed of the traffic.

This may actually be the way that Liberty will help everyone else assuming current subscriber levels don't get over capacity for this service.  Right now Exede only has to give Priority Data speeds for about 6 hours for a user on the Liberty 30 plan (assuming 12 Mbps speeds).  The rest of the time the 1 Mpbs to 5 Mpbs speeds kick in.  This effectively could triple the subscriber base and have users seeing current prime time speeds 24x7.  They could potentially double the users and see little impact if all users were able to be slowed to the lower speeds.  And with faster speeds available they can hit the pass that much faster.

I think all these numbers are right.  Interesting to think about anyway.  I know this probably isn't the right place to post this, but it all just occurred to me as I was responding to you JEP....
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Beam 329 Classic Plan - Glad I am retired and can take advantage of the morning speeds:
Mon Jan 04 2016 @ 9:41:57 am 18.7 Mbps

Still cruising at mid-day:
Mon Jan 04 2016 @ 11:43:38 am 20.0 Mbps
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Today--2:46p--14.49/1.01
(Classic 12)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 290 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Beam 329 Classic 15 @ 2.45p 18.81/0.82
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Yes, the Sun is sinking lower in the West and so are my speeds on Beam 329 Classic Plan:
Mon Jan 04 2016 @ 3:48:40 pm 3.3 Mbps
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
6:36 PM Exede 12-10 non-dapped, testmy.net 25 MB download test at 15.9 Mbps - must have hit dinner time      
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Uh oh--someone changed my title--and they got it wrong...I am not "looking to compare speeds on free zone"--what I said in the initial post is what I meant--want to compare speeds during PRIME TIME and free zone.....not free zone only....
Who changes the titles and how can I reach them to get it corrected to what I meant?  I don't care about the exact wording but it should be what I meant....
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Yeah, I had a hard time finding it again.  I understand changing the title if it is just a negative rant, but I don't understand changing a benign meaningful title to something that is incorrect.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I think someone thought it was too long....but I DON'T like it being changed to what I never meant, so will email somebody to see if we can agree on something else....
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Good Morning from Beam 329 Classic Plan:
Tue Jan 05 2016 @ 7:57:22 am 17.88 Mbps
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 290 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Beam 329 Classic Tuesday Jan 5 at 8:10a :  10.91 Mbps/ 1.19

Beam 329 Classic Tuesday Jan 5 at 12:51p :  19.39 Mbps/ 0.98
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Beam 329 Classic Plan:
Tue Jan 05 2016 @ 4:36:49 pm 19.45 Mbps

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Now it seams Beam 329 is cooking with gas....
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
until we get into primetime (after 5p)

At 7:30pm:

2.28/0.88
(CLassic 12 plan)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Good speeds here tonight in Beam 329 Classic Plan, at least for this data point:
Tue Jan 05 2016 @ 10:16:44 pm 19.29 Mbps

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I've seen same on Liberty Pass, well OK not 19 Mbps but 4.8 Mbps. Was get under 1 Mbps for last two hours. Kids must have all gone to bed.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I heard on the news that school starts tomorrow?  (rather than yesterday?  seem strange but that is what they said).  Maybe that is why.

and this is DEFINITELY the first time just about ever I have gotten a speed this high during the LNFZ:

Time tested: 3:05am
result: 10.06/3.03

I am awfully glad to see a good upload speed for a change.....what kinds of things would make my upload speeds run low the way they have been till now?  I basically hardly ever upload anything, and don't use clouds and things that would be updating themselves and using up my data.  

So when upload speeds are running low, does this mean a lot of other customers are online uploading?  or would overall congestion affect both down and upload speeds regardless of exactly what customers are doing online?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Well, boooo!  My normal zippy mid morning speeds are tanking today on Beam 329 Classic Plan:

Wed Jan 06 2016 @ 11:43:00 am 1.02 Mbps

Check out Bitmeter's record of my downloading the 12MB test on testmy.net
Some form of traffic shaping was in effect, because my peak download rate (averaged over one second intervals) was hard clamped to about 2Mbps and separated by dead time.

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Can you translate that for someone like me, who doesn't know what any of that meant? (sorry)

I am interested esp because I have never seen a download speed that low at that time of day....
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 290 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Jep - I got over 16.5 Mbps (testmynet) and 19 Mbps (speedtestnet) at 12:10p,
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
at 12:18p 1/6/16 (a little over a half hr after you Jep):

15.05/2.80

The other thing I have happening sometimes which is a problem is on Exede Voice--I will be talking on the phone when suddenly my phone goes dead...when I try to call the same number back, it may not connect for a while...I have to make multiple calls back to the number before I can connect again...but I am assuming this is some completely different kind of tech problem, unrelated to any internet connection or speed problems?

This started a couple of months ago, but only happens maybe twice a month, so I haven't bothered to report it so far.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Dunno.  Speed measurements can be highly variable from one time to another.  I have been doing more spot checks the last week or so for this thread than I normally do in a couple of months.

Late afternoon Beam 329 Classic Plan:

Wed Jan 06 2016 @ 3:23:51 pm 19.21 Mbps
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Once again, definitely having that problem again this eve like back on 12/25 and 12/26---frequently pages won't load....taking FOREVER to get onto websites....if I even do get there....

anyone else having this problem this eve?
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 371 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
All ISP, cable etc, are subject to slowing down because of a high user load.  There should be no mystery to that.  All systems of these technologies are not infiinte as to the amount of data and speed that they can provide.

Since analogies sometime help, think of that heat wave and the resultant brown outs that can occur, because everybody turns the air up.   Or one of my pet peeves, those that let the water run while they brush their teeth.   Probably many on this forum have a well for water, waste not want not.

It is just that satellite has so much latency and bandwidth limitations that their service suffers much more noticeably than the cable providers.

Our wonderful speeds are what cable users see when their system is congested.

So it is, what it is, and without a much greater data allowance, ie 150 to 200G a month, faster speeds, 20+ is actually more of a problem, users will then be complaining, " I used all my data in 3 days" .  :)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Lorrie - 

I did a speedtest while on Priority Data and came up with about 3.5 Mbps down and less that 1 Mbps up last night during Prime Time hours (probably around 9:30 PM or so).  So while I promise you back in November when I did some testing I was getting high 8 Mbps+ speeds during prime time fairly consistently, I now agree that users are definitely NOT getting close to 12 Mbps during prime hours.  In fact, considering that this morning a speedtest yielded 20 Mbps download and nearly 5 Mbps upload speeds I would say that our beam is VERY congested.  Why?  Because Exede obviously has more than double the speed capacity available than they advertise.

Think about it, Exede advertised 12 Mpbs download speeds in our area, but other areas are now being offered 25 Mbps speeds.  Now, take into account that there are reports of a Pro version of the service / modem that can get 40 Mbps speeds.  I am getting at times 20 Mbps on the modem I already have.  This means probably due to technology / firmware improvements Exede can push more data through at higher speeds than previously.

I know that Exede (based on articles I read) also has agreements with the Military and with some airlines.  My guess is that these areas are pretty lucrative as well and I bet that they get significant speeds through the satellite.

Johnny - 

Yes, all ISPs are subject to slowing down, however, for the most part, they are not consistently so.  Exede can go for months where during Prime Time speeds drop very slow, and while they do state that speeds can be slower, the sales people don't emphasize that point.  If you read the documents these facts are apparent, but they are written and presented in a fashion where most people would consider slow speed periods to be an usual occurrence rather than a regular thing.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 371 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
I agree.   Now i just came back from purchasing my 1 in 262 million chance to become a billionaire.

And i admit i haven't thought about this very long, but what does Direct TV know that Exede doesn't.  What is the difference with millions of customers Streaming HBO, Starz, Cinemax etc, local TV over the  DTV sat, (not talking about on demand, heaven forbid) at 1080P, even 3 D without Buffering etc.   No limits on how much i watch, its in the cloud and on the beami it's got to travel from the sat to me based on my request on what i want to watch and lord knows i hate watching commercials so i am constantly flipping the channels etc.

Do they just have many more sats in orbit, some different technology?  As i said i have done no research.   But i'll let you sat guru's school me a little.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Brian, you lost me at the part about WHY you are saying that our beam is so congested? or are you just saying that our beam is more congested than others? we aren't being offered the 25 Mbps because our capacity is limited due to congestion?
But only during the 5p-2A times for the most part?  I lost the point you made at the end, I think.  

I do believe you about getting higher speeds in nov than you are now while on priority...I wasn't testing at all between about June and December...so I saw the difference and the big drop in prime time speeds in Dec...and I think I was still using a lot more of my monthly allowance than is happening now until around mid Nov or beginning of Dec, which goes along with speeds getting significantly slower more recently.

I still can't believe that I have only used 26%!!!!! and only 5 days left until the billing cycle is over....just amazing.  So now I am trying to focus on how these slower speeds are benefiting me in allowing my allowance to go a lot further.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Johnny -

They are totally different technologies.  Exede has to keep individual two way data streams for each customer whereas DirectTV just provides a one-way signal.  Direct TV can provide everyone on the planet (if they can all see the same satellite) HBO and never have to increase the throughput on their satellite.  Furthermore it takes the same bandwidth to broadcast HBO to 10 users or 1000 users.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 371 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
I'm with you on the required two way communications from the user to the ISP to go to  almost limitless number of URL's on the web, and my communications via my remote, which now that i am thinking about it is probably already being transmitted and i am just communicating to my receiver,  rather than to the sat.

But generally speaking, from a layman's perspective,i think there may still be something there that could be engineered and adopted to improve Exede in the data limitation area and the speed.  The speed with DTV is never an issue.

Something like Johnny, i know you always visit these 6 websites, so i am going to push this data to you and download it like LNFZ and store it on your super modem/hard drive, realizing you will still have to update some of the data.   

I'll probably have to look at a few diagrams to get a better understanding.

Just thinking while typing, anyway, lets hope they have a few brainiacs on staff.
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Like Brian said, with DirecTV since everyone is getting the exact same data at the exact same time (DVR not withstanding), the number of viewers has no impact on the bandwidth consumed.  DirecTV could handle a billion customers without a slowdown on delivered programming.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3149 Posts
  • 2028 Reply Likes
If you try to do the On Demand programming from DirecTV, it requires the use of your ISP to get the data to your home. That is very similar to what needs to be done to surf the internet from your computer or device, it is a request by you for a specific download, whereas the regular programming that DirecTV sends out is sent to all viewers at a specific time.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Saturday Night at the start of LNFZ on Beam 329 Classic Plan:

Sun Jan 10 2016 @ 12:04:12 am 3.08 Mbps
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
3:30 am sunday a.m. (Classic plan)
2.73/1.01