Worst service ever.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
From the first month of service my data was used up in 1 week.  I called and was told to check the box to help save data when using Netflix.  I did and the next month it was gone in 2 weeks with me only downloading one movie a week.  So upgraded to 25GB and now that is used up in 3 days in December!!!!!!!!!!!!  I requested to down grade since it isn't doing me a bit of good and I am wasting more money but that option is no longer available!!!!!!! Really!
 I had the city service and was hooked up to 3 cell phones, a playstation, and watched Netflix and Hulu all day with not problem ALL MONTH for $35.  Viasat I pay $85!!!!!!
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 500 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
Just think, you only have 22 more months on contract.
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Correction 6 months and cancelling as of end of this month. Paying off early cancellation is worth it since I don’t get service most of the month anyway.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3246 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
Mary, streaming on Viasat is just not recommended. It can use up to 4GB per hour, thus data does deplete in a few days with much streaming.

Hopefully you do not have your Directv or Dish DVR connected to your internet, they consume large amounts of data without you even requesting it.

Satellite internet  cannot be compared to "city" internet, the are about the same as comparing apples to pumpkins.
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What’s the point of having internet if you can’t stream? I have my own internet on my phone and seldom need WiFi on my laptop.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 364 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
I never stream..I download the file and watch it later with no interruptions.  Welcome to country life and the neglected. I guess we are lucky to have electricity.

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 710 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes
Where I am at electricity and phones are the only utilities you can get outside of town. City water, natural gas, and hard wired high speed internet don't venture very far from the interstate, maybe a couple miles at most.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 337 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
Mary, you can stream with Viasat. You just have to keep tabs on how much you're streaming, unlike most land based internet where you don't have to worry about how much data is being used.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2456 Posts
  • 1508 Reply Likes
What’s the point of having internet if you can’t stream?
Paying bills, shopping, social media, email, general browsing, staying connected to the world, etc.  Pretty much everything most people still use the net for.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 710 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes
Gabe, my Viasat experience was so bad paying bills and shopping were a PITA. Often I would get "invalid username or password", when signing in to a secure website or the service would drop in the middle of filing a shopping cart and I would have to start all over. For the record it seems all forms of internet here are bad, but the Red team is better than Viasat as it is a little faster and never drops.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2456 Posts
  • 1508 Reply Likes
Oh, no doubt it has to work in order to be able to even do basic things.  
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Nope no Direct TV and I stream one movie once a month!  Explain using 25GB of data in 3 days? I don't know about the satellite and city but just know I had awesome service with a small town service compared to this. 

• 3244 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
Mary, if you are streaming one  movie a month and using 25GB, there is something else using that data. Smart phones, neighbors, kids, or other devices.

I use an ASUS router on my system, it has a great traffic management built in, and provides me with information on every connected device, how and when data is used by each device, which comes in handy in controlling my data usage.

Thee built in routers in the Viasat modem do not have traffic management capabilities, which is unfortunate. Having a strong password on your router can help limit others from using your data.
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I contacted Viasat and they told me all devices attached. and my password is covered and unaccessible to others.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 700 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Steve, does that router give you instant feedback on the data you are using?

• 3244 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
Homeskillet, it only reports on the hour. It also has both download ad upload speeds that are in real time, and shows every that information instantly.

I have the ASUS AC3200, my older router, an ASUS AC1900P which have the  same information available.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 700 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info, Steve. Every hour should be fine. It seems every time I estimate projected usage it comes back double. I just want to see what the usage is on internet radio. I like listening to sporting events while working to pass the time when doing monotonous tasks. The radio stations in my area pretty much all have weak signals, a lot of them only have a broadcast radius of 20-30 miles.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 710 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes
So why did you switch to Viasat?
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I moved into the area and was only service I could get for internet.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2179 Posts
  • 1277 Reply Likes
Something is eating your data. Could be Windows/Apple updates or something else. 2 hours of streaming a month would not eat that much data.

I think you did right. Pay the least amount for a plan and deal with it accordingly.
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My modem was off when I got her me this evening and when I tried logging on it showed bright red warning that I had send ALL my data of 75GB! I checked and it showed NO device connected to my Viasat! That’s because I disconnect all my devices until I use one.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2169 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
It is possible with your modem off it didnt get the latest usage update until you turned it back on again. Others on here will recommend a usage monitor for your router. It is a good idea to monitor traffic yourself and not rely on what Viasat says.
Photo of Briton

Briton

• 20 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
My monitored usage NEVER matched what viasat said I used. It was always way off in their favour of course. When I had the 150 plan my devices would be showing 75-80gb used and my viasat would show 148+
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 700 Posts
  • 298 Reply Likes
Every time I tried to calculate usage it always came back double, whether on Viasat or the Red Team cell carrier. I was just trying to estimate it, I didn't have a device that counted it.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2908 Posts
  • 1532 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
25GB Liberty
Photo of Mary Owl

Mary Owl

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Used the 25GB in 3 days !!! December 1-3.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 209 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Mary, Are you perhaps not turning off your strwaming device? Merely turning off the TV will still let Roku or FireTV or whatever will keep sucking down data unless you leave it at the main menu or turn it off.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2908 Posts
  • 1532 Reply Likes
There isn’t a 25 gb liberty plan.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2457 Posts
  • 1508 Reply Likes
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2179 Posts
  • 1276 Reply Likes
I miss the days of three plans with a free zone. That was it. No Evolution, No Freedom, No Liberty, no "unlimited".

Simple and easy to understand!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 710 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes
When I first had Wild Blue the free zone was from 12 am - 5am.

• 3246 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
Homeskillet, that would have been with Exede. Wildblue never had any free zones, and had plans with speeds up to 500 Kbps, 1.0 Mbps and 1.5 Mbps, although in the years after 2009, their speeds were much lower because of overselling subscriptions.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 710 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes
maybe my memory doesn't serve me correctly. I thought when I started it was still Wild Blue, maybe not. I think it was 2011.
Photo of Bond

Bond

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
As stated, Wildblue never had a free zone, except some (and only some) customers had a free day at the end of the month.  In fact, I had the 30th and 31st if there was one, and the 28th of Feb., some only had one day, others didn't have any.  However, some of the early dishes were printed with Wildblue before they decided to change the product name to Exede.  The dish was the same, just the graphic was different, the service with that dish was always Exede.
(Edited)
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 338 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
There is a Liberty 25 plan. I have an option for that or Liberty 12 and Liberty 50.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2179 Posts
  • 1276 Reply Likes
All depends on where you live.

Viasat's over priced and convoluted plan structure just causes confusion. Sometimes with the same zip code you have different plans and pricing!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 710 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes
I think they change plans and pricing every time the wind blows a different direction.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2179 Posts
  • 1276 Reply Likes
Well 5 miles from my house they have a "up to 12Mbps" "unlimited Gold" plan with 65GB of priority data for $200+/month. 

Not all gold plans are created equal.  How would you like to pay that much money for a plan like that???
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 710 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes
They recently changed plans in my zip. We used to have that $200 for 65GB a couple months ago when the minimum plan cost $118 with everything. Now Liberty 12 is back for $60 (That is what I used to have) and the top plan is $150 + modem and fees for 25 Mbps and 100 GB priority data. Seems like the offerings here are pretty good now under the Viasat standard, they were the worst Viasat had to offer a couple months ago.

Since others have claimed speeds have improved in Central Va they must have lost a lot of customers and are trying to replace them. A lot of people I talk to around me have dumped Viasat and Hughesnet for the top two cell carriers. There isn't one of them regretting it.
Photo of Briton

Briton

• 20 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
we loved the 12a-5am free zone. My teenage son wore that sucker out