Craig Moha Qauid

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
What plan do you have and what lie did Viasat tell you?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Craig there are many reasons you may be experiencing slow speeds. Some of those reason include alignment, modem or TRIA issues and more. Send your account and contact information to ViasatListens@viasat.com and, ask them to investigate your slow speeds. They will take a look and see if there is a problem that needs to be fixed for you.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
Or it could simply be that he has used all of his priority data.  We will never know unless he gives us more information than "worst provider ever."
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
We'd have to know which satellite he was on, his plan, AND how much data he has used so far in his cycle. 

Had a customer complain about slow speeds a couple weeks ago...said they would barely do anything all month. Looked them up in SVT and it showed they have used almost 1/2 terabyte and still had a week to go. How exactly can you "barely do anything" yet use almost 500 gigs?

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3356 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes
Well he just downloaded five games....lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2184 Posts
  • 1089 Reply Likes
My mind is still trying to grasp the concept of a video game consisting of more data that a DVD movie.  Boggles my mind.

My last exposure to video games with Everquest.  It came on a CD and cost $10 a month to play.  I installed it on my computer, played it for a few minutes, and uninstalled it after I realized people spent 20+ hours a week playing that stupid game.

I haven't purchased a modern video game ever since.  I'm very happy with my Atari 2600 thank you very much, and when I want to get real fancy, I drop by PacnsacDave's house to play one of his custom made Nintendo games.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Let me see, OLD, as in nearly ancient game AION so it's a tiny one 32 GB with apx 100 MB updates weekly. Free to download an play but, 15.00 Minimum a month to win, more if you want to win fast.

Battlefield 1 40.00 to buy, 80 GB download NOT including updates. Frequent 20-40 GB Updates. Modern game.

And that's calling just 1 decade ancient. Gaming has changed a lot in the last decade.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3356 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes
Games like Fallout, XCom, etc. In their last versions, which are a couple years old, were coming in around 50GB.

Then like Bev said, updates. An update to one game, I think was Grand theft auto, was a LEAST 8GB.

Back in the day, programmers were limited by memory constraints and made do. Like Atari cartridges and they had to develop memory swapping and what not. Those legendary game programmers could probably run circles around the people today. Just like engineers for the Apollo program. We put a man on the moon almost 50 years ago. With technology not as advanced as a mobile phone today.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Back in the day, 512K was a ton of RAM, now my 32GB is on the verge of becoming 64 GB or maybe 128. Dual GPU, running dual clients for a game  and, it lags or, pushes RAM usage to 90% plus, time for more RAM.

Tried running 3 clients and, my rig went BSOD with out of memory errors - oops. LOL But yeah that's what gaming has come to. How else am I supposed to move game $$$ form one server to another without having to do a server transfer on my mains? What am I to do for a three man group when none of my mates are online and I really need to get that dungeon done? DIY, of course. :)
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2184 Posts
  • 1089 Reply Likes
You need 32 GB of ram to play a game? Wow.

Back in my day we were happy just to have three shades of grey.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3356 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes

I might be off on this, but wasn't the Atari cartridge limited to 4k....but then they found a way to swap memory and got it up to 8k!

I only played Atari 2600 games for a few years before I got my first personal computer.  The heyday of 2600 games for me was:  Missile Commander, Pac Man, and Space Invaders.  Never cared for Asteroids. 

And yes, my first Atari 2600 game was.... PONG! 

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2184 Posts
  • 1089 Reply Likes
Pole Position was my favorite and still is. I don't know about the hardware but the Atari 7800 was quite a boost in graphics. 8 bit graphics and was backwards compatible with the 2600. Pitfall 2 was amazing on the 7800.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3356 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes

If you haven't researched it, look up the Atari Jaguar, which followed the 7800It was the last video game console they made.  A commercial failure, but it the first 64 bit gaming system, and this was in 1993!

Just goes to show, even if you have a superior product, if you don't market it correctly, it will fail. 

(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2229 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Hi Craig,  Please send your account and contact information to viasatlistens@viasat.com.  We will review your account and figure out what is causing your slow speeds. Here is a link to help you troubleshoot slow speeds;
Is your WiFi password protected or public? There may be others using it if it is not.