Worst Internet!

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
This is the worst internet service I have ever had including DSL! When I spoke to the sales rep I was informed that I would be able to stream TV and do what I needed on the computor with the gold plan. NOT TRUE!! I cant stream TV and the computer well lets forget that too. I canceled my service as of this morning and I will do whatever I have to do to not pay the cancelation fee of $345.00 for a service that does not work!!!
Photo of Carol Willis Rabe

Carol Willis Rabe

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 95 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
You dumped DSL for Viasat? That usually isn't a good move regardless of what their commercials say. Everybody needs to inquire what their neighbors in close proximity are using and if they are happy.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 473 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Wish you the best, make sure to document your return of equipment
Photo of William H. Jordan Jr.

William H. Jordan Jr.

• 14 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I will agree with the first caller. The only reason I had Viasat was because DSL was no longer offered. If you are in DSL range i suggest getting a MIFI with your cellular network with unlimited data. The speeds and the bill will be better. 
Good luck with trying not to pay cancellation fee. They do over exaggerate their service but most people end up paying to be done with the terrible service. 
That being said cancel your service as soon as possible and turn in your equipment. That way you will not continue to be billed. If need be work out a payment plan so the $345 does not hit all at once. Good luck. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
If you had the 50Mbps Gold plan, it should have worked pretty well. But not all Gold plans are created equal.

Which Gold plan did you have?
Photo of Carol Willis Rabe

Carol Willis Rabe

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
unlimited 50Mbps gold plan
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Cant understand why that wouldn't work. One of the best plans on the best satellite. Something maybe off on the install.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 94 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Agree it should work.   Has it ever worked?  Sounds like something is/was not right from the get-go.   
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
One of my neighbors recently upgraded to the 30Mbps Gold plan and he's pretty happy with it. I believe it is on Viasat 2.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
I will say since I dropped satellite internet, I haven't had issues with streaming, even if my test speeds are not that great.  I think the low latency and no video resolution restriction has something to do with it. 

I  could get the 30Mbps gold plan where I live.  I opted to not get it though since I dropped Viasat altogether. 

I think it would be on Viasat-2 like you said. 

I
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
You definitely made the right decision. Not only do you get better performance and speeds with the jetpack, it's also saving you money.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Yea. I know Viasat doesn't like me talking about it but my internet needs are met and I save money.

Watching HBOGo now. Has never buffered on me!
(Edited)
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 98 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
we have too send you a member ship fee too be here Just kidding glad you stayed on the form here
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Just keeping up what is going on with alternative internet options available to me and my neighbors.

I know the Viasat plans offered at my address today are more expensive with less speed and priority data than just 6 months ago.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1725 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Gold 12?  Gold 30?  Gold 50?  Which Gold plan?  And though I'm not sure about the Gold 30 or 50 plans, the Gold 12 plan cannot stream full HD.  It can only stream in 720p or lower.  So, you may have needed to adjust the source definition.  

Here's one problem I see.  With your ETF being $345 it means that you've had the service for a month or less, which isn't much time to give them to remedy the situation if it is, in fact, a technical issue.  And the computer?  What about it?  

Good luck fighting the ETF.  You probably should have given them a little more time to try to remedy the issue.  It's also too bad that you didn't come here first instead of waiting until you had already cancelled, as you could have gotten help from the corporate reps that monitor this community.  Corporate reps, not the regular phone reps.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Viasat does itself no favors when it offers a "Gold Plan" that has  various levels of priority data and up to speeds.  Not all plans are created equal.

IMHO they need to rename the plans such as Gold 12/50, Gold 25/60, etc.  Otherwise, people have no idea what real "Gold" plan you are getting.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1725 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Agreed, but aren't the plans already named as Gold 12, Gold 30, etc?  Or are they just named plain old "Gold"?  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 214 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Perhaps. But people never say it that way. Easier to say Bronze, Silver, etc.
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 28 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Folks it ALL depends on where you are, which satellite you're on and how many others are on that same "node."   It will be different for different areas.   That's why, since satellite internet first came into existence it has always been referred to generally as, "unreliable."   The signal TO your house can be managed reliably (Dish, Direct TV) but internet access requires a second signal FROM your house and that is an unknown variable and why it cannot be managed reliably.  They "guess" and pre-determine the amount of signal you will need going FROM your house and when you go over, rather than risk the services of others, they will either cut you off or slow you down appropriately, depending on your plan and the number of others on your "node."   It is what it is.   You wouldn't be able to afford it any other way and they have to make sure their government and business contracts have all they need.   You know how you put your card in at a gas station pump and in the middle of nowhere at the side of the road it magically reads your card, determines it's validity and turns on the pump?   That's all satellite and they ain't risking that system going down that's for sure.  When you get a ticket and the cop is in his car filling out and printing a ticket communicating with his superior, the criminal data base and maybe even a judge?   That's all satellite and they ain't about to risk that system goin down neither - not to mention the huge pull the military has on the system.   Starting to see how this all works and where we lie in the food chain?