Worst internet service EVER!!!!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I’ve been paying $70 month for service I never get to use. When we signed up we told them the main reason was for our son who likes to game and for us to be able to use the computer. None of these things work. We have to use the hotspot on our phones. When I call them about the problem they want to know if I want to upgrade oh and I can send you a YouTube channel that tells you what games work!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME. You already lied to me so I’m going to trust you that this time your telling me the truth !!! Not a chance! I am calling the BBB and the attorney general, also checking with my lawyer to cancel this contract. Trust me I won’t stop til they wave my cancellation and come get this junk off my house !!! I will tell everyone about them and their service!!!

Very very disappointed!!!
Companies that lie and deceive just to make a dollar!
Shame on them!!!
Photo of Nancy

Nancy

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
You are only paying $70/month? What plan only costs you $70?

As far as gaming on Viasat? Yea, many popular games will never work on satellite internet.
(Edited)
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Bronze plan maybe? Where I'm at you can get the Liberty 12 plan for $50 a month. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
Always interesting to hear why people buy satellite internet. Very sad if people dont understand its limitations before buying it.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The BBB is not a government agency and wields no power. Satellite internet is a poor choice for online gaming due to high signal latency and that is unpreventable, because the distance the satellite is from Earth. If you mentioned online gaming a salesman with morals should have asked you what your other options were as gaming makes satellite a poor choice, unless that game is online chess where a 3/4 second lag doesn't get you vaporized.
(Edited)
Photo of Nancy

Nancy

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I didn’t know that you couldn’t use satellite for gaming. But I did tell them that was the main reason we wanted it. So did they think we wouldn’t notice!
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2398 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes
The majority of real-time, multi-player games that people play on XboxLIVE and PlayStation will not work over any satellite Internet service.Strategy and “turn-based” games will work but games requiring a rapid responsesuch as “first-person shooters” will be unplayable due to latency.
Photo of Alex Murray

Alex Murray

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've had good experiences playing PS4 while having viasat internet.I'm able to play the "Friday the 13th" Game just fine
Photo of Nancy

Nancy

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Then the people that represent your company shouldn’t lie to people just to get the sell. Very dishonest!!!
Photo of Stephen Murdock

Stephen Murdock

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am having the same issue. I get less than ONE freaken day of good streaming data. The sales person told me that the Bronze plan should be more than adequate for our family. Customer service could care less. You wanna cancel?? $240.00 plus the month prorated. Doesn't matter that they aren't meeting their own promised service agreement. Whatever, they SUCK and I'll NEVER recommend them. Hope they go out of business!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
It would be very difficult for a single person on Bronze priority data, let alone a family. 

I can imagine if a family is streaming one day would pretty much eat up the priority data and then all bets are off in terms of speed.

Cancel or upgrade plans.  Even then, you are not going to get THAT much priority data for a family to be able to steam very much before deprioritization hits and then you may or may not be able to stream. 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
350MB per hour in LD, 700MB per hour in SD, and 3GB per hour in HD.  Streaming is a data chewer.  The 35GB or whatever priority data you have in the Bronze plan isn't going to last very long at those rates.  
Photo of Stephen Murdock

Stephen Murdock

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Most consumers do not understand basic data usage. I'm one of them. Did either one of you knuckle heads read the part where I ASKED the sales rep to explain the data amount and that she assured me that Bronze was plenty?!?!?? I've read all the other complaints on here, upgrading the plan will not change a thing. This company sucks!!! And why you two above wanna try and defend....Just shut up!!!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Listen, smart guy, I was simply giving you the data amounts so you can deduce how long, by your habits, your data before prioritization will last.  I didn't defend anything. 

So direct your anger, and your spiteful comments, elsewhere.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
Neither one of us supports or defends Viasat. I am an ex customer. Gabe is a customer of the competitor.

You fell for the sales pitch. You are not the first. You won't be the last.

I wish you the best in finding a internet solution to meet your needs.
Photo of Tara

Tara

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
When our service is working, my kids are able to play multiplayer games using viasat. They are able to use a tablet and laptop devices. If service is slow, they cannot. For those saying you cannot, just wanting to point out that it actually does work as long as the signal is not throttled or slowed down by traffic.

This has been more of a problem lately with all the kids out of school and people vacationing, using more data. This happened over Christmas holiday also and we were slowed down to nearly nothing till everyone's kids went back to school, and adults back to work.

We have the silver plan.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
Depends on the type of game you are playing. First person shooter games will not work well with Viasat no matter what the speed is.
Photo of Tara

Tara

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I don't know if pubg is considered a first person shooter game, it has multiple players doing shooting on same screen from remote locations and allows you to talk with the other players during it. They are able to play it without a problem.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
Unsure. But I am sure the kids get wound up when it doesnt work when the system is slow :).
Photo of Tara

Tara

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes, when system is slow, it is pretty much game over. We use library wifi whenever we can to save ours. They haven't been playing much online lately.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
As you have found out. Unlimited isnt really unlimited.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
Bit it is advertised as unlimited data. Why should it matter!!! It is unlimited after all ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Lois M

Lois M

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Apparently none of ya'll have ever had Hughes Net satellite internet, they are the worst, and expensive for what ya get, and if you live in a extreme rural area, like me, Viasat is the best choice available. Get your kids their own Hot Spot with straight talk, problem may be solved, or maybe they should go outside and play or read a book. Nothing is as good as the fiber optics or high speed cable internet, which I greatly miss, but this is way better than dial up
Photo of Travis Horton

Travis Horton

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does hugesnet do this
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Well, Lois M, I can tell you that I've had HughesNet for 14.5 years, and it's been fine for me.  It still is.  And my 70GB of data and 40Mbps speeds for $86.59 per month is just fine for me, as well.  

I think I'll take that over the 65GB of Priority data at 12Mbps for $200+ per month with ViaSat.  
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Viasat and Hughesnet service vary by location. Right now another fraudulent Viasat commercial is blaring on TV. They are advertising free installation on broadcast TV in an area where the broadcasts reach zip codes where Viasat charges $150 for installs. They show people using multiple streaming devices with nice sharp pictures
Do they have any morals with their ads?.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
The commercial. Yea.