Data issues

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further agent response.

Every month I get to my usage of 10GB within the first 10 days. I'm not even sure how this is possible because I even unplug my router when it's not in use. I work midnights so I sleep over half of the day and my bf works from 5am-9pm daily so he is never home. It's almost as if they tamper with the data to make you have to buy more.  I have never bought more because the prices are ridiculous. I turn off my wifi on my phone and use my data. I have 2 GB on my phone and I have never gone over and I use that a lot more than I do my wifi.  This company is so terrible. I hate how this is the ONLY company I can use for internet in my area. It's like I'm being punished for living in a nice house on a back road.  This internet is also very slow or does not work most days. When I call to complain about the data, they tell me there is nothing they can do. Not helpful at all.   DO NOT RECOMMEND 
Photo of Steven

Steven

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Pissed Off

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Steven I am curious...when you are using your computer/wireless system, what kind of activities do you engage in?  Just email and surfing the web?  When you contacted Exede did they discuss with you at all possible causes for data being used up faster than you would think it should be?  Have you read any of the articles on the customer portal to do with data usage, like "maximizing your data" or "tips on data usage"; these helped me understand what activities, both obvious and not so obvious, can use up my data--sometimes without my realizing it.  I am not saying that the problem has to be on your end and definitely not a problem caused by exede, but I believe it is much more common to find that excessive data usage does come from the customer side of things...there are just so many ways that data can get used that isn't always obvious.  I learned this myself only after becoming a hughesnet customer 3 yrs ago and quickly finding all my data was gone without my having been aware of using it.  Took me a while to figure out what the cause was....but now, for example i have a 10 gb/month exede basic plan...I am on my laptop on and off all day every single day....loads of emails and surfing..  I never shut anything off.  And I have 5 days left in my billing cycle and have only used 4.4 gb!  And you will find there are others who post here who have the same experience that I do.  I don't do any streaming, or watching of any videos, tv shows, youtube , etc etc EXCEPT during the late night free zone, because those activities WOULD use up my data as fast as you are describing.  I also have my chrome browser set so that videos do not auto load, and also got "flash blocker" from the chrome extensions (free).  In addition I downloaded 2 free programs, Networx and Satellite Restriction Tracker so that I could compare what these 2 programs say is my data usage as opposed to what Exede says my data usage is...and these match..  I know this may sound like I have done a lot of work to make sure my usage isn't more than I want it to be, and so I can tell what I am using data on, but that is very important to me, and is the only way I could come up with that I wouldn't wind up feeling upset and angry the few times when data was disappearing and I didn't know why.  Since the satellite internet providers aren't set up to tell us when we call exactly where our data got used (nor do I feel they should be by the way...it would cost the customer if cos like exede and hughes tried to provide that kind of info to customesr), this leaves it to us to learn how to track this, and frankly I'd rather depend on myself than be dependent on the provider to tell me where I was using data.
The best way that I know to be satisfied with satellite internet is to educate yourself as much as you need to in order to feel comfortable that you know where your data is going and feel in control of your usage.  Without that, so many people wind up feeling angry, worried that they are being cheated, and some ultimately cancel their subscription when it might have been possible for them to become satisfiied customers if they had found a way to get more control over the usage.  If using the internet is a very important part of my life and I only have access to satellite internet...nothing else in my area...so I needed to learn as much as I could about this technology and about what is to be expected and when there is a problem.  If I ever develop a problem with my data seeming to disappear too fast and I can't figure out why, I will be on the phone to exede as many times as I need to, and will be googling to find as much info about possible causes as I possibly can, until I find some kind of understanding of what is going on...and I am quite sure i would be getting more and more frustrated along the way...but with no other options, this is what I would do...each time I called exede I would say, ok , tell me what else might be using up my data that i might not know about...and how might i check that...and i'd write it down and i would then check everything.  If it got to a point where I had checked everything everyone  could think of, I'd ask them if it wasn't time to have a technician come to my house to check on what was going on, was there some problem with the exede equipment or the installation or the antenna....that kind of thing.
If I could have different types of land based broadband, well then I wouldn't have Exede and it would be easier...if I had cable I'd have such a ton of gb available to me to use that it wouldn't matter how much I used.  But since I dont, I had to find ways to make internet satellite work for me, which I have been able to do.
I am under the impression that you can't compare gb usage on a cell phone to gb usage via satellite internet as these are 2 different technologies...you can check this by going to the web site for your phone and looking up their tables on how much of different types of internet activities you can expect to be able to do for the various amounts of data...and then check the same thing on the Exede.com site...not the customer portal but the site people go to before they sign up if they want more info first...I am not very advanced in my tech knowledge, so I hope someone will correct me or comment if I am wrong about what I am saying about comparing cell phone gb usage to satellite internet usage..but I think this is true.  Meaning you can't say exede is at fault if you can do more streaming per gb on a cell phone as opposed to streaming on your pc with Exede..
I believe the truth is that Exede isn't a terrible co at all...in fact it is A+ rated by the BBB and is known to be one of the top, if not the top, satellite internet co...satellite internet technology simply cannot currently do what the landbased broadband technologies do in many cases...that isn't the fault of the company...
I live in a lovely rural area... because of that I am still personally hauling my garbage to the dump since there isn't any trash collection where I live...I don't feel I am being "punished"..that is a fact of life here where I live.  
Hope you are able to get your problems worked out so you can become more satisfied with your internet service.  Or perhaps landbased internet technologies will become available where  you live at some point.  No sign of that where I live, though.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 560 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
We are the same way for our internet and don't even have the choice of dialup as our phone line is bad and Verizon won't replace and can't fix it. There is two of us on our 10 gig plan and we make it through each month and we browse all day.

We learned long ago what you can do and can't do (we started out with the original Wildblue in '05). No streaming, no video, no internet music and no downloading or software updates except during the LNFZ. Our browsers are locked down with Adblock Plus, Flashblock and Ghostery. The autoplay in my wife's Facebook has been turned off. Pinterest is a data hog  if you don't use it in the LNFZ. Run good virus and spyware/adware scanners. Everything on our computers that might even think of using data in the background has be disabled or uninstalled.

Win8 is a BIG culprit. It comes with several apps that run in the background and at least for Win8.1 it defaults to a Microsoft Live account and for metered data like we have, HAS to be changed to a local account. From what I understand (I don't use any) Apple products are major data hogs if not fixed because they default to doing so much on the cloud. My sister-in -law stayed with us for a few days several months ago and brought her Idad and Iphone. We took a MAJOR data hit and almost didn't make it through the month and we were on the 15 gig plan then.

If someone is having data problems, the odds are it is on their end and not Exedes. Exede's not perfect by a perfect by a long shot, but the place to start looking for data disappearing is on your end as that is probably where it is going to be found.
Photo of Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

How many Netflix movies/shows can you watch with 10GB's of data?

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
depends somewhat on what resolution you have these movies/tv shows set to...HD uses WAY more than standard def and under standard you can pick med or low resolutions if you want...Did I read somewhere on the exede.com website that you can watch about 8 hrs of streaming media under the 10 gb plan?  somewhere I found one of those tools to help you pick which plan might work best for you...with a list of common internet activities and how much of each category  you could do, on average with each plan.  I just looked again at the exede.com site and There is a brand new plan selector tool  which makes it  clear that the basic 10 gb plan isn't the one to choose for people who want to do a lot of streaming/tvand movie watching on the web... unless you are a night owl who tends to be awake during the late night free zone.
I thought this was clear under the old selector tool, but with the new tool, you don't have to know about how gb translates into time/number of movies/tv shows to have a good sense of what you can and can't do with the basic plan and other plans.
Photo of Jimmy Gillespie

Jimmy Gillespie

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Do not, I repeat:DO NOT STREAM VIDEO WITH A 10 GIG DATA CAP!! LOL you will use it in no time flat.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Check out our Maximize Your Data Usage article for tips on managing data. If you're still having mysterious usage after implementing some of these tactics, email us at exedelistens@viasat.com and we can take a closer look at your data usage.
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I did do the Facebook thing and it is working most but not all of the time.  Is there a way to shut off video auto play with Firefox?  Sites I visit do have videos that just start up out of nowhere.  Drives me crazy.  LOL
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Here is an article with info about stopping autoplay on firefox and chrome...I did 2 things on my chrome browser...i went to plug in settings for chrome and stopped it that way and I also got flash blocker.  don't know if there is any advantage at all of doing both, but it was easy to do, so i did.
http://internet.wonderhowto.com/how-to/block-flash-auto-play-firefox-and-chrome-browser-0154754/
since doing this I have had only one video auto start and I don't know how it managed to do that! maybe I hit something to start it without realizing it.
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 88 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I had to laugh! I clicked on the link to find out how to disable autoplay in my chrome browser and it turned out to be a video!!! Will have to wait till midnight now....LMBO!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Barb, I have the add ons FlashBlocker and AdBlock Plus installed on Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer. These get rid of all those data hogging advertisements on web pages and stop any of the flash or videos from playing unless you want to watch them, by clicking on the F logo. These have reduced my data usage a whole bunch.
Photo of Angie Leonard Kiker

Angie Leonard Kiker

• 9 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Steven,
There is nothing wrong with the way you use your internet. We use approx. 1 GB a day between my husband and myself. We now pay $140.00 a month, and have even resortedt to paying for an extra GB of usage at the end of the month. Yes we do watch the news videos, You Tube Video, and last night I steamed a movie from Amazon via Roku. I also like to use our internet for online classes. All this besides regular email, and web browsing, ordering products and downloading books online.
 Sure somedays we use less, some days more. This idea of staying up at midnight for "free time"  is ridiculous for people who work all day and need to rest at night. 
I feel for you, but you are going to have to budget something to have "full service" internet. Oh, yes, we have listened to the talk about how to use our service, and it's a nice idea, but not the way that we live, or most people live and use their computers in this day of hight tech.
Excede is fast at our house. We have excellent height and visibility to the satellite. Excede is simply charging too much money for their service and data, and we have found a local wireless provider---at last, and we will be leaving.  I just wanted to let you know that what you are experiencing is more "normal"---than not. I hope you can find a way to make it work for you cost wise. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Great news for you Angie!  We have Prarie iNet coming out next week to take a second look at our site and see if they can figure out a way to connect to their tower which may be just out of reach but they will try for us.  If they can get it done you are absolutely right about price, with them for 5 mbps it will be $46. per month with "no data cap" (and before someone says that isn't right that is exactly the way they stated it to me when they replied to my inquiry about a second try at our site)  Also no contract with them.  If they don't work we still have the option of the start up company running a little slower but also no data cap and no contract. But like we've said many times,  why does a company want to be the one their customers can't wait to dump.  Doesn't seem like a good business model to me.  If they would have offered the higher data options to the EXISTING customers it would change things a lot in the way they are viewed.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Jacqueline I honestly think you are missing something.  which is Exede is NOT the company I can't wait to dump...it is my only option other than dialup...I dont' have any choices anytime in the foreseeable future..this is where satellite came in in the first place...as an alternative for people in rural areas with no other access to broadband.  You are blaming the co for something that is just not a "fault"...they are an alternative, and technologically aren't able to offer unlimited data at this time...when you look at the basic infrastructure of a company, sending up a satellite is likely more expensive than what the landbased companies had to pay to get their infrastructure out there!  so it costs more...
I just can't understand why some people want SO badly to be angry at exede....there is simply no need for this and it's just not logical...there are basic technological reasons for the data limitations with satellite, and for the speeds of satellite initially being much slower than they are now...People get angry because of weather outages with satellite internet ...why in the world is there any need to get angry at exede because of a basic limitation of satellite internet techology...it's like those of you who are mad at exede are mad at them for not being a landbased broadband co....that just doesn't make any sense at all to me.
It's not that exede is the COMPANY people can't wait to dump...it is much simpler than that...if people have exede and then get access to A DIFFERENT KIND OF BROADBAND which is able to give unliimited data, people will switch to the better upgrade...they aren't dumping exede for being a "bad" company...they are switching to a different technology as it becomes available where they live...why in the world must people try to find someone at FAULT in this...if there is a fault, I'd go with asking these companies why they took so long to get to the more rural areas...except that doesn't make any sense either, since it costs money to expand and they have fewer customers in those rural areas...
i have been hoping and hoping for the last 7 yrs that Verizon would manage to get a tower close enough to where I live so that I could get rid of my landline like so many of my friends have...instead, though, verizon has little reason to want to expand their towers because they will just lose more money as more and more people get rid of their landlines...so verizon just has no incentive to meet my needs...quite the opposite.  But you know, I just don't take this business decision made by verizon personally.  
In my case, switching to Exede voice has been my FIRST chance to finally get rid of verizon with it's $15 extra on the bill per month just for all the fees and taxes....Exede Voice has some of these surcharges as well, but they only come to a little over $6 a month.  If I find a VOIP that will work with my Exede internet and which costs less, I will switch to that one and drop Exede voice...but I won't be angry at Exede.
But as i read all these complaints on this forum, and very antagonistic language some of the time, I keep asking myself, why in the world do people seem to have such a NEED to find a bad guy in all of this?  This is just about comparing the different services and technologies available to you where you live and picking what will work best for you.  Even the people who honestly feel there is nothing on their end causing excessive usage seem to often jump immediately to the conclusion that I call the "conspiracy theories" that exede is doing this to people on purpose to force them to buy the more expensive plans with a high data allowance...I think that is just so unlikely I won't even go there.  And I am NOT saying that data problems can't ever be due to a co equipment problem or tech problem of some kind.  So far I have heard here some examples of what people found that was eating up data without their being aware, but i haven't yet heard of any examples of data usage problems being fixed when it was some tech problem on the Exede side. And I haven't heard any explanation of why if exede wants to cheat customers, it apparently selects some people to cheat whereas others have no problem at all.
If I were convinced my data was being eaten up incorrectly because of some problem with the Exede apparatus, I wouldn't think it was deliberate, but I might wonder if there were a technical issue...but most people seem to want to think someone is out to get them or take advantage or cheat them....it can happy, but not so frequently that we should think of this as the most likely reason for things....is isn't the most likely reason at all..
I am seeing a pattern where the more satisfied customers often are those of us who haven't had the opportunity to have any access at all yet to the unlimited data allowances or landbased broadband that doesn't get knocked out at all even in severe weather....the only thing we have to compare Exede or Hughes to is dialup, so we are happy with what we have.  The other kind of people who tend to be satisfied are people with the kind of attitude that  says, well if I have to have a data allowance I think I'll learn everything I can about how data gets used up and what I can do to keep my usage within the limits of my plan.  I notice sometimes these are older rather than younger people, but not always.  This is the kind of attitude which I personally think is much more logical and healthy, and I do believe that people who have this kind of attitude tend to be happier people in general.   Because we are not so quick to  anger when we get frustrated or have a problem, and not as quick to without any proof think someone is trying to take advantage of or cheat us.  Again, why do some people think if a problem is something the co is or isn't doing that it has to be INTENTIONAL.  This can happen sometimes, but not nearly as often as some people seem to think, and the cos that do this usually get caught sooner or later.  But it just isn't as common as cos having problems for other unintentional reasons.
Another  disturbing (to me at least) theme I hear at times is this entitlement thing...the idea that, if some superior technology exists out there in the world, then I am somehow ENTITLED to have it.  And if I am NOT getting it then I should be ANGRY about that because I SHOULD be getting it...this is just not the way the world really works.  Like the lady who wrote this rageful letter to Comcast because they weren't going to let her go over their stated limit of  250 gb (!!) of data per month!  She said that comcast is the one who is supplying customers with these terrific speeds which make it possible for them to use data in ever increasing huge amounts, so therefore she said Comcast has the OBLIGATION to let people use as much data as they pleased, no matter what.  I know I am not the only person reading those words that sees a problem with that kind of thinking...But this woman really believed what she was saying, and her conclusion was that COMCAST'S UNREASONABLE DATA CAP OF 250 GB PER MONTH WAS RUINING HER FAMILY--really that is exactly what she said....RUINING HER FAMILY.  I thought maybe this was a satire someone wrote, but as far as I could tell, this was a real letter written by a real comcast customer.  she meant it was ruining her family because her family was no longer going to be able to stream to their heart's content and play games all day if they chose..and i am thinking, REALLY??? this is what it takes to RUIN a family?  
Anyway, I do hope that some people who read this might take just a minute to ask themselves if they REALLY have a reason to be angry at Exede ...or is it just that they really want to have the best broadband out there, but maybe it's not available to them yet...which of course isn't Exede's fault at all...like I said, if it weren't for Exede and Hughes, I would still have NOTHING to use to access the internet except dialup. Therefore, I am very glad Exede exists...VERY glad. I don't find Exede to be perfect, but when it comes to whether they are meeting my expectations the answer is quite simple..yes. Because I got my expectations by reading about Exede and what they offer before I signed up, including what i can and can't expect in the way of the amount of data allowance I can afford, I read about the contract, the equipment lease charge.  Then I read all the same stuff about the Hughesgen4 plans in my area...Exede came out ahead in terms of what i could get in their basic package and it even cost less than the Hughes gen4 basic package...Every bit of this info I found on the Exede.com website and on hughesgen4's website.
And are my expectations being met?  Yes absolutely they are.  A big part of the reason is that i made sure I understood what Exede was about and what I would and wouldn't get before I signed up.  Now, if I hadn't done that, and signed up and then got some unpleasant surprises about things I hadn't read about...well, I still wouldn't have been angry at Exede...because I would regard that as MY fault. having a sense of "personal responsibility" about things is VERY good...and makes people tend to feel much happier and more in control of their lives than does looking for someone to blame whenever we are frustrated or unhappy with our situations.  That is why I am taking the time to say all this..because my attitude now is a lot better than when I was younger.  So i thought, maybe if i share this, it just might help someone else be happier, the way I am now more content now that  I don't always look to blame someone or some company when I don't have what i think I want.  
And I am not trying to say I always go about selecting services in the good way;  I have had the experience of not doing my homework and finding out that what I thought i was going to get wasn't what I signed up for...and I did know this was my responsibility and not the company's fault.
If I some day DO get access to a broadband technology with unlimited data usage and which doesn't get knocked out by severe weather, and if it is a company other than Exede providing that, I will most certainly discontinue Exede and go with the other co.  but i hope I will see things clearly enough to say Thank You to exede as I leave, for having given me a high speed internet service when no one else was there to do so.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Angie I agree with everything you said except perhaps the part about exede charging too much.  since their prices are in keeping with and even better than some other satellite internet cos i can't say they are charging more than the going rate for this particular technology.  Since I have no knowledge whatsoever about comparative costs of running companies with different technologies, I cannot judge whether it is or isn't reasonable for Exede to charge more for services than some other dsl plan or a cable plan...I just don't know.   But I can't single Exede out since their prices are comparable to other providers of the same kind of service...meaning satellite internet.  If I could find a way to get "more for my money"....like more data or other things for the same amount of money or even less, of course I would switch...but for me I appreciate the fact that exede came along when all I had was diaup...they were designed to fill a gap for those of us whose only option was dial up and they certainly have done that for me!  without exede...56kbs with dialup...with exede 12 gbs!  no comparison even.
another thing I have read about is the idea that newer technologies are more expensive in the beginning years because of startup costs and the fact that anything new always costs more to produce -- until it's been around longer, and then prices will go down typically...
I can never disagree when people talk about some technologies being a lot better than satellite in some important ways...but I don't understand why so many people seem to make it personal and seem to want to believe that somehow this is exede's fault...it's just a fact...if you have access to something better for you, just go for it, of course.  If you don't have it available, that isn't exede's fault.
which is why I am much more interested in the things I can do personally to maximize my data and get the most out of what i do have access to.
oh and you might be misunderstanding the idea of "staying up at night"--lots of people, myself included get a great deal of use out of the late night free zone without staying up necessarily...like in advance setting updates and synchronizations to take place automatically between 12 and 5...or in my case i will stay up to 12, which I do anyway, and set up some movies/tv shows to record in a queue on playlater, and I am done by 12:10 at the latest....while play later is recording/downloading to my hard drive--i can go to sleep; and later watch  5 hrs worth of viewing  during reg. hrs without using any data at all.(since it has been recorded to my harddrive while I was sleeping)
So even if someone needs to be asleep by 9 pm, there are ways to get a lot of use out of the LNFZ.
As I tend to say, if I were rich I wouldn't need to do all this stuff  to keep my data use down...but I dont even bother to think about that, because I am not rich.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Angie I agree with everything you said except perhaps the part about exede charging too much. ;since their prices are in keeping with and even better than some other satellite internet cos i can't say they are charging more than the going rate for this particular technology. ;Since I have no knowledge whatsoever about comparative costs of running companies with different technologies, I cannot judge whether it is or isn't reasonable for Exede to charge more for services than some other dsl plan or a cable plan...I just don't know.; But I can't single Exede out since their prices are comparable to other providers of the same kind of service...meaning satellite internet. If I could find a way to get "more for my money"....like more data or other things for the same amount of money or even less, of course I would switch...but for me I appreciate the fact that exede came along when all I had was diaup...they were designed to fill a gap for those of us whose only option was dial up and they certainly have done that for me! without exede...56kbs with dialup...with exede 12 gbs! ;no comparison even.another thing I have read about is the idea that newer technologies are more expensive in the beginning years because of startup costs and the fact that anything new always costs more to produce -- until it's been around longer, and then prices will go down typically...I can never disagree when people talk about some technologies being a lot better than satellite in some important ways...but I don't understand why so many people seem to make it personal and seem to want to believe that somehow this is exede's fault...it's just a fact...if you have access to something better for you, just go for it, of course.  If you don't have it available, that isn't exede's fault. which is why I am much more interested in the things I can do personally to maximize my data and get the most out of what i do have access to.oh and you might be misunderstanding the idea of "staying up at night"--lots of people, myself included get a great deal of use out of the late night free zone without staying up necessarily...like in advance setting updates and synchronizations to take place automatically between 12 and 5...or in my case i will stay up to 12, which I do anyway, and set up some movies/tv shows to record in a queue on playlater, and I am done by 12:10 at the latest....while play later is recording/downloading to my hard drive--i can go to sleep; and later watch 5 hrs worth of viewing during reg. hrs without using any data at all.(since it has been recorded to my harddrive while I was sleeping)So even if someone needs to be asleep by 9 pm, there are ways to get a lot of use out of the LNFZ. So it isn't ridiculous at all to say that a lot of use can be gotten from the LNFZ even if you "work all day and need to rest at night". I think how much people appreciate the LNFZ has to do with how much they might need it to make their Internet needs achievable when only able to afford the Basic plan, as is my case.

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
ViaSat spent in excess of a half a billion dollars to develop, build, launch and commission the bird that Exede internet uses. The new one, scheduled to come into service in mid 2016, will cost much more, and will add more capacity to their internet capability. Satellite technology is not cheap, but it does provide those of us with a good internet service. Before satellite, my only option was dial up, and 21 kps at that. Most webpages took 3 to 4 minutes each to load, and no watching anything that moved with those speeds. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Steve, you sure do know your facts about Satellite internet!  

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
Most of this I have learned by reading the posts on the Wildblue/Exede Worldwide Forum. There are many well informed folks on that forum who help people with their computer and internet problems. I read a lot in other online articles about computers, software and internet services too. Just my form of entertainment, I guess.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Well, I recently started  trying to learn more about all this stuff, simply because it is in my best interest to know the facts as I go about trying to get the most for my money in the world of the internet..it's very hard in the beginning when you know very little and don't even know what all the "lingo" means, but gets a little easier as you go along.  Then there are the people like you, it sounds like, who are naturally interested in all this stuff and have a knack for understanding it.  Thanks to you and to the other very knowledgeable people who post here to help the rest of us.

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
I must admit that I have been involved in electronics and computers, etc for over 40 years. I retired 11 years ago from a career involving computers and like devices, and hold degrees in electrical engineering and computer design. However, I had to learn much of my knowledge about personal computers and the internet long after my formal college days, since both of these came along well after I completed college. You will pick up on the jargon just like you have been doing, on this forum and by cruising the internet. Google is the way I find out about  a lot of my area of interest. So don't feel like you are in the dark, it will come in time.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I am impressed,Steve. thanks for the support.   I am such an old fogie at this point that i can tell you that when I went to school they hadn't invented personal calculators yet.  And then when they did come out when I was in high school, we weren't allowed to bring calculators to school...I think it was felt that would be "cheating" and we had to perform all math calculations by hand without a calculator.  Seems things have changed a lot in this regard I hear. And I even remember when a coke cost 5 cents.  And  we had "party lines" meaning you shared a phone line with a few other people who lived near you....and you picked up your phone to make a call (no dial and no numbers on the phone) and an operator would come on the line and say "Number Please?"  You would recite the number you were calling and the operator would connect you.  Anyone want to guess how old I am?
ok i will stop with the nostalgia trip. sorry.
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 88 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Heck, when I was in high school they didn't have anything like personal calculators. Then when my youngest daughter started high school in mid 80's they were actually required. Funny how times change.
Photo of Angie Leonard Kiker

Angie Leonard Kiker

• 9 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Lorrie, 

We have added AdBlock Plus, so no moving ads to use up Data, we don't watch anything in HD, (movies or You Tube).  I have never figured out how to download Amazon Prime movies to a "Que: to watch later, or set them to record later---I no longer take any classes online or play games. Never played games much anyway.  I do miss video classes though and go to Starbucks now to watch them.

I find $140.00 per month for 25 GB of Data a lot---but you have to chose what you want to spend money on like I mentioned before. We don't smoke or eat out frequently, so that has helped pay for the extra Data plan.

A new satellite launch in Fall of 2016 is a long way off, and we simply cannot afford to keep this monthly internet bill and wait and see.  

It's my personal opinion that this type of internet Satellite  service is expensive if you use 1 GB of data per day, and can't find a way out of using that much..  Late night options are just not working for us. We are too tired.  My response to Steve is I hope he can---and that it our reality, and possibly his.
(Edited)

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Angie, I get along well with an average of 300 to 400 MB a  day. I guess one reason is that for many years I had only dial up, with a poor 21 kbs. Living so far in the country, the phone lines just couldn't deliver higher speeds. I have the 15 GB plan, but seldom use more than 7 or 8 GB a month. I keep the higher plan so when the kids visit, I can still get by with their usage, they all have tablets and smart phones, and are used to their unlimited land based cable internet at their homes. I have not had the privilege of having cable internet at my house, so my internet habits are much more subdued than those who have been used to unlimited internet. If I could ever get a seriously higher cap, I would jump on it. But the outlook is not very promising for me, I live 1 mile from the last house on Time Warner, and for 25 years  now TWC has told me "maybe in a year or two", but I don't see it happening anytime soon. As for cell service, the towers are too far away to give me anything but a weak signal. So I will continue to enjoy my Exede internet for the foreseeable future, and hope that the data allowances will increase. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Angie, I can certainly understand what you are saying.  The good news from what you said is that you can now get a wireless internet plan that is going to work better for you?  That is really great.  Hope it will allow you to take classes online again without having to go out to starbucks.  The thing I mentioned about finding a way to record shows and movies is something new out there offered by a 3rd party provider, called "playlater.tv" and it acts like an online DVR.  It also, together with another program by same developer called playon.tv allows you to cast media from your pc or other device to watch it on your tv...like if you were watching an online class and wanted to watch it on your tv (but maybe you already do this with some other device you have?). and playlater works with amazon and hulu plus and netflix and all those channels out there.  Don't know whether playlater might be something you would like since it can do more than just let you record during a free zone.  I am very excited about it because i can only afford a basic plan with 10GB so playlater is the only way I have found that i can watch tv shows and movies on demand at all and not use up my data way too fast...I mean without having to stay up all night to watch since i can record and then watch later.
What kind of classes do you like to watch, if you don't mind my asking?  I love to crochet and do other crafts, but couldn't ever watch much in the way of videos teaching on these subjects because of the data usage..but with playlater and playon I now can watch these over and over if i want without using data at all, since I will have the recording done between 12 and 5.and then will have this video on my hard drive until I choose to delete it....this will be important when it is about something like crocheting or certain jewelrymaking techniques where i may need to watch and rewatch certain instructions. If you might be interested in this software, here is a link you can check out:
http://www.playon.tv/store/buy/playlater/
The most important for me of these 2 programs is playlater which allows you to record and watch stuff at a different time, and records stuff to your hard drive...
I think the main thing that playon does is to allow you to "cast" what you are watching to your tv,but i am not sure..I am wondering, if you have for example playlater and a roku if that will allow you to wach playlater recorded media on your tv or not.  but maybe you will need to also have playon.tv as well in order to watch on your tv..just not sure. also I feel I should mention that some people out there in the tech world are wondering whether there might in the future be some kind of legal challenges to playlater...since of course pay tv isn't going to be too happy about the kind of competition now coming from playlater/playon...But playlater argues that what it provides is no different than what people are already able to do (legally) with their DVRS.
Re: gaming.  since i have never had any access to landbased broadband, My gaming choices are of the old fashioned variety...I play lots of games in app form on my ipod and ipad and the ones i have seem to use up zero data. or at least it is so little it't not even noticeable  ...but i enjoy them very much.  
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Okay I think its entirely creepy that wilblue excede is logging me into another site to comment in their forums.  I can't believe all this pro-excede propaganda.  

One simple concept people is that satellite TV is unlimited data.  And you are hypnotized into believing that somehow satellite internet is a different beast.  

80$ gets you an entire month of unlimited commercials.  I am so mad right now.

2 days, from rollover and I'm at 12g.  That's not appropriate, its not right, its absolutely something has changed.  Someone is hogging my gb, or my over usage from the month before could only possibly the cause.  I have nothing.  I had one full day of internet, and I did nothing that day.  In my mind conserving for the day that I needed full speed.  I don't think anyone should pay this much money, for internet and if you do, its because you are held hostage just like me.  There are companies with endless internet, and they don't get killed the 2nd day of the monthly cycle.  

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
Jello1850, by reading your post here, I have believe that somehow you were forced to sign up for your Exede internet service, and that you did not voluntarily contract for it.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by "wildblue/exede is logging you into another site to comment in their forums". 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
jello1850, that does seem like a lot of data to use in such a small window. Has anyone ever gone over with you what uses up data the quickest? If not, I'd be happy to provide you with some tips. If you'd like, I can also take a look at your usage to see where it's being allotted each day. This may better prepare you for next month's usage. If you are interested, please feel free to send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and we will get to it. Thanks.
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
well yes, there are no other providers anywhere close to here.  in a very remote location.  in fact i had ordered it bundled with my directv, but then it unbundled, because of our remoteness.  so I had to install new equipment on top of that.  besides, I just read that com cast is 250gb.  i mean really.  thanks Kimberly, anything you can do to figure out what happened I'd greatly appreciate.  i've never used 12gb in 2 days before.  
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Angie I agree with you.  I have a family of six, live in the country and only have Exede as an option.  I can tell you I am not going to be staying up to use the computer in the late night free zone.

I did find out recently though that Exede (Viasat) is giving their new customers 50 gbs of data for the same price as the current customers are paying.  They state on their website or in these forums that their current customers will be able to switch to the Freedom Plan come this fall in "select areas".  Well after doing some research and digging more into this with the company, I find out that the "select areas" are California, Hawaii, Arizona, some parts in Minnesota - I live in Iowa - I won't get anymore for the money I am paying for another two years or more.  I find it interesting that I can add more data and give Viasat my money and they accept it just fine but they say they cannot give me more data as my service may not be the same - hmmm, my extra gbs that I'm paying the company for work just fine in my home (my area).

They also tell their current customers that they will give you 5 gbs in six months.  Well do they mean 5 extra gb PER month for the next six months?  No, they don't.  They will add them to your account all in one month and whether you use them all in that month is just a wait and see.  If you don't use them all in one month, well that's just too bad.  That was your one time opportunity to use your 5 extra gbs that you were offered - one time in six months. You don't have the option to say hey please just add one of my extra this month or two, etc.  But remember, new customers are getting at least 25 or more a month.  If a current customer has a 25 gb plan then those new customers that are paying the same amount as you are getting 50. 

Now maybe I am way off and maybe internet runs slower in those "select areas" that Viasat talks about but I'm guessing I'm not.  I'm guessing a person in Arizona and a person in Iowa would both like to receive 50 gbs for the payment of  $140.  Why is Viasat giving more to their new customers when we, the current customers, have been with them for years, paid our service fees, and we are getting a little offering of 5 gbs once in six months?  Why is Viasat just putting this false information out there and more or less saying just hang in there with us and you will get this lovely plan in the fall when really they are going to disappoint their customers in every state but a few.  Just be honest.

I have checked all of the internet companies that I can in our area and our hands our tied.  Once there is a better provider for us, we will be switching.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Ok, I just googled to get a link to a factual article about the new Exede/viasat Freedom plan ....this is an unbiased article as you will see when you read it...but please don't miss the multiple references to the REASONS satellite internet has been stuck with these caps in the first place...and please also pay attention to the whole issue of "satellite capacity" which explains these caps in the first place, and why Exede needs to start the freedom plans in less populated areas where they currently have fewer customers....all to do with the satellite capacity issue and a way for exede to start actually providing this new plan to a select group of customers without having to wait until the new satellite goes up in 2016--which will of course provide more "satellite capacity" overall.  How many customers exede has in a given area has to do with the issue of "congestion" and whether the speed performance will suffer from if exede has too many customers online at the same time in a given area...this plays into how Exede decided which areas will first have access to the MUCH higher data availability.
People you really need to read about stuff and look into some details before forming pro or con opinions.  And you need to do your reading among independent reviewers, not just what exede says or some competitor says or someone like me says here on this forum...which is why I try to provide independent articles if I find a good one.
here is one about the new Freedom plan:
https://gigaom.com/2014/08/13/as-satellite-internet-technology-improves-exede-starts-boosting-its-br...
I can't find even one independent article which says the kind of negative things I read here about certain issues. not even one.  while I can find independent articles which say things like Exede is the #1 satellite internet provider in 2014.  In other words i am having trouble finding any supporting evidence that says Exede is anything other than one of the top satellite internet providers in the u.s. the negative statements that are said about satellite internet technology in general sound like they are technology related and not the fault of any company.  if anyone finds any independent reviews which say different, I would be interested in reading them.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Denise I emailed exedelistens@viasat.com to request the Free gb promotion...i was told that I could choose to access those free gb in increments that re multiples of 5, the timing determined by me, over a 6 month period...i was NOT told i had to use it all in one month...quite the contrary so suggest you recheck this with exedelistens@viasat.com (no waiting on hold and you have the info in writing after they reply).  So far I selected 5 free Gb which they immediately posted to my account, and when I want to use more of these free Gb I am to contact them...
I recently read a lengthy discussion on this forum about the whole new Freedom plan thing...so don't want to get into it again, but you might be interested in looking for that discussion since there was good info explaining the offer being for only new customers in select areas...
and if I am remembering the facts correctly, the Freedom plan is designed to be an "unlimited" data plan with 150 gb /month allowance and cost of $99....really a breakthrough for satellite internet, but just not gong to be available to any current customers for the time being, for a number of reasons that have to do with technology and business.
Exede has NOT said that this plan will be available to everyone this fall or next fall...no such promises have been made at this time..just that more data for everyone is something they are working on.
I have a feeling that if exede had the capabiltiy to suddenly offer an unlimited satellite internet plan to all customers they would do just that...no question they would blow up their competition if they could do that.  I would love that of course.  I am NOT a fan of all those special deals that SO many companies offer to new customers that old customers never get access to..look at Dish ad Directv...they both do this ALL THE TIME.  So does Verizon.  of course this makes loyal "old" customers angry, but in a business sense it works very well and the major companies all continue to do this.  At least when I heard some of the reasons Exede is rolling this out the way they are had at least something to do with technical limitations, and not just how to assure max profits.
and think of all the exede customers like me who would INSTANTLY switch from my $49.99 a month to the $99 a month Freedom plan. With a deal that good I would absolutely find a way to switch.Lots and lots more money for exede in doing that...they have reasons for not offering this to all customers right away. They can't yet.
Whichever kind of co is able to first offer me a plan with unlimited data and any other improvements over what I have now? of course I will switch...but that is no surprise.  Doesn't say anything bad about Exede at all.  Just means when I have a way to get more data, I will take advantage of it.
I have seen NOTHING dishonest at all in anything said about the new plan.  Why insist on looking for someone to be angry at?  We can only choose between what we have access to...no one is "doing me wrong"...it's just business and where you live and what technology is available.
It is not the fault of Exede that some landbased broadband company hasn't moved into your area yet.  Exede is satellite internet and doesn't pretend to be dsl or fiberoptics...it you want those you will have to just wait or move to where it is currently available.  If you like, you could choose to be angry at verizon or some other landbased broadband company for making you wait so long before they provide such service where you live.  But i would recommend not being angry since this isn't anybody's "fault".
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Lorrie, it sounds like you may work for Exede.  I have been in contact with them now for a few weeks and they have told me that NO the customer does not get an extra 5 GB each month for six months and I have also been told from them that YES the customer does get an extra 5GB a month for six months. They are not consistent in their information.  At no time have they ever told me about the Freedom plan being an "unlimited" data plan with 150 gb/month (which is not unlimited it they are limiting you to 150 GB a month). I did not ever say it was Exede's "fault" that a landbased broadband company has not moved into my area, it was just a fact I was stating. I have done my homework as you have and interestingly enough we are not coming up with the same information and I am trying to get much of mine right from the company but I am told different information each time.  Angry? No. Frustrated with this company? Yes, and rightfully so.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Denise PM me at tierney@exede.net  I am also in Iowa and wondered where you are located, we are working on finding an alternate source of internet,  there are a few companies in expansion mode in our area if we both happened to live in the same general area maybe we could work together to try and get someone to do the expansion. :)

Lorrie why are you so angry with those of us seeking alternate internet, you keep accusing every one of being "angry" but I think its you that are the angry one.  I HAVE experienced problems with this company in the past,  I KNOW it wasn't on our end AND my husband is also an IT person with 30 plus years experience and he knows BS when he sees it. 
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Denise, I'm sorry that you have gotten different information from different reps. /: I hate when that happens and we try to have everyone on the same page as best as we can. I want to make sure you have the correct information this time so yes, we are offering eligible existing customers an additional 30GB over the next 6 months. You can use as many of your allotted 30GB at a time as you'd like as long as it is in 5GB increments. (e.g. 5GB, 10GB, 15GB..) If you can send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, I'd be happy to check your eligibility and get some GB added to your account today.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.