Worst internet ever

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
This is the worst internet ever. They make you sign a contract and you cannot even watch freaking television. Their customer service is brutally incompetent
Photo of jeremiah

jeremiah

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Viasat sucks

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1865 Posts
  • 1079 Reply Likes
I must ask. What did you have before satellite internet? Did you expect to use satellite internet for all your viewing needs? If you ran out of priority data in the first day, that will happen.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2840 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
How is Viasat causing you to have problems with your television antenna, satellite dish, or cable tv service?
(Edited)
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 218 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
There's light at the end of the tunnel. I love how SpaceX president Gwynne Shotwell refers to current rural service as "crappy".
https://spacenews.com/spacex-plans-to-start-offering-starlink-broadband-services-in-2020/
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1864 Posts
  • 1079 Reply Likes
Millions of people pay $80/month for crappy service?

Awful aggressive thinking they can have 6 to 8 more launches, and the end user terminal isnt even designed yet.

I will gladly be a tester for this service, but no way I would cancel my current internet service to rely on just this, at least not initially.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 218 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
Elon Musk is a pretty aggressive and ambitious thinker. I'd gladly be a beta tester as well.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1411 Posts
  • 457 Reply Likes
I have decent internet and still pay for tv.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 218 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
Damn you Bradley. Damn you.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 412 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Now if you could only fix that slow Wi-Fi - go ahead it'll only take 3 minutes and you'll double your internet speeds.
(Edited)

Admiral Korbohuta

• 218 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
WiFiBlastShop.com
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2367 Posts
  • 1437 Reply Likes
Though it's too late now, you should ALWAYS thoroughly research a product or service before buying it, especially when that product or service includes a commitment.  Never solely rely on what a salesperson tells you.  
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 516 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
It used to be years and years ago most of the bad press on satellite internet was from people playing video games and people who burned through their data allowance quickly. Now that is no longer the case. A little Googling should quickly turn up all the pit falls of satellite internet. It also seems there are obvious pockets in the USA where the service is notoriously poor. Just from reading in here it is obvious Ohio and Virginia are trouble spots.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1864 Posts
  • 1079 Reply Likes
Certain parts of Ohio and Virginia, yes.

Viasat-2 was suppose to deliver a minimum up to speed of 25Mbps nationwide. Unfortunately, with the satellite issues, they couldn't deliver.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2422 Posts
  • 480 Reply Likes
Satellite-based internet and the variables that affect speeds, Viasatcannot guarantee any particular speed.  It is always up to a particular speeds.  Speeds  often exceeds the plan.   
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1864 Posts
  • 1079 Reply Likes
Yep. But that is not what I said. Viasat advertised with Viasat-2 they would be able to deliver a minimum. "Up to" speed of 25Mbps nationwide (continental United States). This was even posted on their main Twitter page at one time with a map. I am sure the rationale was to say Viasat delivered broadband internet nationwide to meet the minimum speed the government declared to be considered "broadband".

Because of Viasat-2's issues, this never materialized. Numerous locations today only offer a minimum "up to" speed of 12Mbps.