Worst customer service I ever experienced!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
This is THE worst company I have ever done business wih!  I have been a customer for years since Wild Blue.  I recently uograded from a personal account to a business account to try to get faster speeds for my home business. They charged me a fortune for a technician to come out and replace the Dish and modem.  They left the old dish in my front yard and said I needed to return the modem and a piece off the old dish to avoid paying $300. When I got the box with instructions I went out to the old dish to reemove the part, There were 4  screw holes and only 3 screwswere there. All screws were stripped but I was able to get 2 off which left one that was so totally stripped I could not get off.  I called them and they said I have o pay $95 for a technician to get it off even though it was their technician's fault for stripping the screws when they replaced that part in the past.  So, I upgrade, paid a fortune for a technician to install new equioment, am paying them double what I was and they are charging me to do something that was their technician's fault!  Worst ever!!!!
Photo of Nita Bowers

Nita Bowers

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • angry !!!!

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2116 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Even with stripped screws, it wouldn't be hard to get off.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 94 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
(CAREFULLY) drill the center of the remaining screw if accessible (haven't looked at the newer setups), if you can do that without damaging the part.  Or hacksaw/sawzall the arm (CAREFULLY).   Someone the least bit handy with tools could do either without damage.  Since the dish is easy to get at, shouldn't be too hard to figure something out without paying that.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2063 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
I was think of either option.

Or take a sledgehammer to it. I mean you can still return it, just not maybe in one piece :).
Photo of Nita Bowers

Nita Bowers

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks. I don't have drills or hacksaws and know absolutely nothing above unscrewing a screw but I am going to try to find somebody who does and will definitely remember this when Hughesnet tries to get my business once this contract is over. :)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2063 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
But you just signed up for another two years?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2425 Posts
  • 1479 Reply Likes
A Dremel or some other rotary tool can cut a slot into the screw so it can be removed with a regular screwdriver.  Granted, if you don't have a drill you probably don't have a Dremel.  :(
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3235 Posts
  • 2083 Reply Likes
Certainly you can find a neighbor or relative to help you get the tria off the dish.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 606 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Often if the screw head protrudes enough you can get locking pliers clamped on it and unscrew it. People often call these tools Vise Grips, but that was just a common brand that made the tool. Also if it is a stripped Phillips head sometimes using a larger size bit in a cordless screwdriver will work.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 606 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Dremel of course is a brand known mostly for rotary tools. I have a Craftsmen rotary tool that I bought to sharpen chainsaw blades when I cut firewood for a living when I was in my late teens almost 40 years ago. I still use it from time to time and it still works. They just don't make them like they used to.           

All the above ideas on removing screws can work. Drilling them out is even better using a left hand drill. Most drills you buy are right handed. To use a left hand one you would run the typical drill in reverse. It will usually snag the screw and spin it right out of the hole.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 94 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Hacksaw is ~$6?  Doesn't take much in the way of knowledge other than not cutting through something that isn't supposed to be.  If I didn't know tools, I'd like to think I'd figure out cutting the arm, and just leave the rest of the arm in it without messing with it.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 606 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Does anyone really think Viasat will reuse a tria that goes back to the Wild Blue days? Even if it can be rebuilt it's value is minimal compared to what they charge if it is not returned. For the record the roadside around me is littered with Hughesnet dishes, ground mounted, completely intact that are long since abandoned.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2063 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
But that is the policy.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 606 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
A policy that is just trying to get money for nothing. I was told by a tech that mine was obsolete and they still wanted it back. The Viasat employee lied to me and said they re-used them as is. I just can't stand dishonesty out of someone I do business with. I see it as an insult to my intelligence.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2425 Posts
  • 1479 Reply Likes
As we all well know, what field techs and phone reps claim is often wrong.  

It's likely that a variety things happen with trias, with some being reused as is for quick field replacement, some being re-purposed for new installs, some being scavenged for certain parts and others being completely trashed.