worse than dial-up

• Problem
  • Updated 26 minutes ago
  • Acknowledged
We had dial-up better than Viasat!.. We cannot watch Youtube without it buffering every few seconds.We were lied to when we signed up.. We were told that we could stream movies with no problem..I got rid of my other internet service to go with this and it's the worse mistake I have ever made.. Now if I want to stop service it will cost me $15.00 for every month left on my contract..I do not recommend this service and I will let every one know what happened to me..
Photo of Lorie Lilleberg White

Lorie Lilleberg White

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • annoyed, frustrated and lied to.

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
What internet did you have before?
Photo of Lorie Lilleberg White

Lorie Lilleberg White

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
cable.. whished I never switched.. Now I'm stuck for 2 years with this junk
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
Just out of curiosity, why did you choose to drop cable for satellite internet?  Unless the cable is having serious issues, there is absolutely zero advantage to doing so.  

Many of us would give our right arm to be able to have cable internet.  I know I would.  Well, maybe my left arm, anyway.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
Well you are not "stuck". Pay the early termination fee and go back to cable. You are never going to be satisfied with satellite internet after having cable.

Not sure why you switched either.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Lorie, your mistake is switching from cable to satellite. Sounds like you may have duped by a dishonest re-seller.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
It pays to do research when selecting an internet provider.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 412 Posts
  • 214 Reply Likes
Get out now, it wont get any better
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Lorie, I watch Youtube and stream video all the time with Viasat with no problems. If your service is indeed as slow as dial up, then you need to set up a service call. You either have a hardware issue or a dish alignment problem.

Photo of david

david, Champion

• 545 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Won't it buffer often in you're trying to watch in a resolution greater than you plan's? I wonder if this is the problem?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
Obviously she had dialup before switching to Viasat.
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 35 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
DSL is different than dial up. But vsat is better than most DSL from what i've seen. What is your plan?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
If it were worse than dialup you'd be having a much larger problem with Youtube than buffering every few seconds.  That is, if Youtube's page would even open prior to timeout.  

Try lowering the resolution, and make sure nothing else is sapping bandwidth at the same time.  You can also email viasatlistens@viasat.com for help.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2821 Posts
  • 1782 Reply Likes
The best dial up I ever got was 18 Kbps. With Viasat. I average 10 to 18 Mbps.

I stream in HD all the time with my plan, Video Extender turned off. 

Lorie never stated what plan she is on, those "unlimited" plans all have video resolution restricted to specific levels depending on the plan.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
Whats funny is YouTube would buffer all the time for me when I was on AT&T DSL.  I was on a 18 mbps plan.  I never experience buffering on my Liberty 12 plan as long as I haven't used up my priority data.  Shoot, it doesn't even buffer during the day after I've used up my data.  I have only seen buffering issues during the evening after using up my priority data and that is to be expected.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1031 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
If I test on testmy while having Youtube issues the test graph looks like the Rockies, but when Youtube is working well the test graph is nice and smooth, mostly regardless of overall speed.  I've had times where my overall speed is very good, but I'm having all kinds of buffering issues, and times when my overall speed is low, but Youtube works quite well.   

I suspect a lot of this has to do with the congestion being experienced at the time.