Worse ever buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)

This is what I see every night every 30 seconds when I try to stream anything so it gives me lots of time to write bad reviews on every site I can find. We should all get together and start a class action lawsuit against viasat...
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Justin Brown

Justin Brown

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You have to login to Netflix online and change your playback settings. Take it off auto and change it to .03 .
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2688 Posts
  • 1402 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much data have you used this month?
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Silver. I'm at about 160 gig so far but that's not the problem its the same even under 60 gig I'm always at 0.02-0.47 every night.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Regardless, you are way, way over your priority data. Once you use 60 GB of data with your plan, all bets are off if you can stream real time.

Get a Roku. Subscribe to PlayOn cloud, record in 720p to the cloud, stream seamlessly.
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know I'm way over the 60 gig but like I said it doesn't matter if I'm at 1 gig or 500 gig its the same. I told the sales rep excactly what I needed it for and was lied to and told I wouldn't have any issues. I was lied to about price. My dish was installed in the center of my driveway. And speeds of 0.20 mbps are unacceptable.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I find it hard to believe the dish is installed in the center of your driveway. Pictures or it isnt.

Is it the weekend?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3056 Posts
  • 1962 Reply Likes
VetSat, the weekend is here! 

I think a picture of the dish installed in the middle of his driveway. Remember, in one of his posts he claims he signed up for his Viasat internet at a Verizon store. Still early in the day, but time to get some popcorn going......
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes I have a circle drive and it was dead center of my drive. I finally got them to come move it last week to the edge of the drive. Why is not hard to believe?
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

There you go. Does that satisfy you Champ?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
So an installer put a dish in the middle of your circle drive and dug a trench underneath your driveway to bury the cables? Why would an installer go through all that extra work?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
It sounded like a good idea at the time...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Must be how Verizon installs Viasat.
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No just contractor's that work with viasat. Call the Verizon wireless store in livingston tx and ask about internet I went in to get a cell phone and the manager set me up with viasat since you think I'm full of shit
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You would have to ask the installer that one. The cable is only about 3in under ground doesn't take much to dig that up. He said that was the only place he could get a decent signal.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Tye, how's your Verizon cell service there? Did the VZ store mention the new unlimited prepaid jetpack plan?
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Its not great at home but better than any other carrier. I was trying to find a grandfathered in jetpack so I could get the $5 month unlimited plan. I thought it was to good to be true till a buddy showed me his.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Just wondered if they mentioned it, it seems a lot of their reps don't even know about it, just thought since it's been out about a month they might have when mentioning options. I'm over 10 miles from a rural tower, I've got a cell booster, it's about 7:30, tested about 20 down 8 up, similar to most times of day, not much congestion here (and there are no caps or thresholds).
Read they were cracking down on some of the $5 plans, some of those were kind of "shady", at least the ones I saw....

Maybe repositioning the dish will get you better speeds after your data resets this time....
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No they didn't but I will go in and check it out. No difference when they moved the dish this time its about 10 ft from the other location but still points through a tree. The installer this time said if this doesn't improve it he doesn't know where else to put it with a clear path other than about 100ft from the house.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Might be why your speeds are so slow. Your RxSNR is low to begin with and you are getting a lot of missed packets that have to be resent!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
No difference when they moved the dish this time its about 10 ft from the other location but still points through a tree
That generally doesn't work too well.  A clear view is a must.  Might it be pointing over the tree?  The look angle with the dish is actually higher than it seems.  Usually somewhere between 20 and 26 degrees, depending on the dish.  
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It looks like it is pointing about 10ft from the top of the tree right through a big branch but it could be going over the top.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Log into your modem (192.168.100.1) and look for a stat called RxSNR. Report that number here. Depending on its value, that will give us some idea if it is pointing through a tree
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok I will try that when I get home thank you.
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Worse ever.

I wish they would just let me out of my contract without a ridiculous fee. They did say they would discount the fee but why should I have to pay for a service that does me no good stresses me out and makes me angery every single night. I'm less than 90 days in and have called and complained since day one. I tell everyone in my area don't even bother with viasat..
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 292 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
you need to pay because someone drove X miles to your house and spent X time doing an install. Viasat paid a contractor for that, now you need to pay them back for X.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1858 Posts
  • 1151 Reply Likes
Are you reducing the definition of the streaming source to SD or lower?  Remember, with your Silver Unlimited plan you can only stream at 480p or lower.  Anything higher and you'll see buffering.  

With this said, your best bet would be Low Def.  
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes it's lowered.
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 112 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Your simply not going to be able to stream video during prime time when everyone wants to use the service.  Nobody can and I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up already.  Whether you have used your prime data or not there are simply too many users on because everyone wants to be on at the same time.  Quite often I can't stream lower quality audio during prime time.

It is what it is and everyone is in the same boat.  Use a download manager or torrent and if there is something you want set it up to run overnight and it will be waiting for you in the morning to watch at your leisure.  For everyone to be able to stream video during prime time Viasat would have to dump more than half their customers and you would be paying 2X or 3X more than you are now. 

Their solution is equitable to give everyone an equal shot at the available bandwidth.  If you can't browse or do email during prime time then there is a problem that they need to solve but don't expect to be able to stream video on most beams/gateways when everyone is on the system.
Photo of Russtytrucker

Russtytrucker

• 61 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Nothing buffers for me, never.  But I have Directv.  Living in a rural area and staying connected to the outside world just costs extra.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
Same here.  
Photo of Tye Crane

Tye Crane

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes I hear that.