Worried College Student

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
I am an 18 year old college students with five classes a day and my older sister also has five classes a day and due to this virus we both have to work from home with all our classes being live streamed. I worry that we may run out of internet very soon with all these live steam classes and wont be able to attend class. So my question is will Viastat be offering unlimited internet to all users during this time of crisis? 
Photo of leanna

leanna

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • highly concerned and worried

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Probably not. Tell your professors that you have limited satellite internet at home and would prefer the classes on a dvd or USB drive.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Is there a way they can cut the resolution on the live stream classes down so they won't eat a lot of data? Of course the best way for you would be as suggested above, as I think 32GB thumb drives are getting cheaper by the day. Unfortunately everyone assumes these days that everyone has hard wired broadband, and that is not the case.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
Ditto for what everyone else said.  Thumb drive or DVD is going to be your only real option.  Explain your problem to your professor.  You aren't going to be the only person with this problem.

Shoot, just last week I was supposed to help a dental student with his final exam as I am one of his patients.  Dental work has been banned for 30 days in my state and now he doesn't know when he will become a dentist. 

I can't imagine what those students are going through after almost a decade of studying to have your final exam ruined by a pandemic.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
And if you are not in the health care industry, good luck getting a job!

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
A couple of guys I know work in the timber industry and they're still pretty busy. One of them spends so little time watching the news or on the internet that he had no idea there was a pandemic until last week when he went to Walmart and couldn't find toilet paper.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Eventually it will catch up though. Right now core manufacturing is still working, but it will tail off eventualfly. Sadly. Just give it time.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 30 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Agriculture.  I've got cattle, no crops, most people I know have cattle.  Really haven't noticed much difference at all (other than prices crashing for producers, though better, and increasing for packers, increased demand, there have been ongoing investigations into the packers' practices).  It's not like a person can ever skip doing chores.  Calving season, trips to town are few and far between, weeks in general.  I was in town the weekend, stores had everything (Dollar General and Tractor Supply type store for shopping, no Walmart or anything).  Just low on bread and potatoes.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
What kind of cattle farm do you operate?  Dairy or beef?  

Lots of dairy and a few Angus beef farms around here, though the dairy industry is shrinking in the area.  

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Construction industry is still busy. I'm in healthcare so no staying home for me. I'm actually getting opportunities to make a lot of money.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 30 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Beef, mostly black but a few mixed (a few red, handful of charolais, couple roan, couple holsteins turn up once in a while).  We had a small 80 cow dairy until I was almost 19 (about 24 years ago...), plus beef then too.  My dad died the year before, that last year was my senior HS year.  There was no money in it then, it was my decision to quit.  A couple neighbors didn't and went bankrupt (or close).  So, I know a little about how that works anyway.

Dairies are closing all over, it will get worse.  I know of one large one left in the area.  I know some of their family but haven't discussed the situation with them.  Not much good news in ag in general, hasn't been much in several years.

Healthcare should get hazard pay....
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Dollar General and Kraft Heinz are two companies I know that are paying more now.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
"Healthcare should get hazard pay...."

I'm not worried about it. I've worked around every type of body fluid known to man for over 25 years and I hardly ever even catch a cold. I'm more concerned with Influenza than Covid 19.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
Yep.  Consumer dairy prices have remained relatively flat over the years, so it's so much harder for the traditional dairy farmer to make it.  The prices are going up for them for everything, yet they can't get more money for their milk.  It's sad.  It used to be such a big dairy community around here.  :(  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
I'm more concerned with Influenza than Covid 19.
The opposite for me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not freaking out or anything like some people, but I'm definitely more careful with COVID-19 than I am during flu season.  

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
I understand Gabe, but I've seen many patients die from Influenza over the years. Not one from Covid 19. Yet.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Much greater chance of dying IF you get it (1 out of every 100 have been dying). That of course is only based on who is diagnosed. You have to figure there are 1 000's of undiagnosed cases out there. Some countries only diagnose if you end up in hospital for instance.

You would think people would be wise, work to prevent infection, etc.

But then you watch the Tiger King and wonder, are people that stupid?

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Yes, it does look like the overall mortality rate is going to be quite a bit higher for Covid 19 versus Influenza or even H1N1. We won't know for sure until the pandemic is over and the numbers are in.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
This pandemic wont break the internet, but I am worried that Netflix streaming of the Tiger King will!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
I’m not worried about the traditional flu. I get my flu shot every year.
(Edited)

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Except that the flu vaccine is only 30-50% effective year to year depending on the strain that is infecting most people.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
It's never too early to panic - the Waffle House Index has gone Code Red

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/wafflehouseindexred

(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
You are probably going to have to get creative and convince your educators to do so also. They are now being educated the fact that not everybody has access to reliable high speed internet sufficient for live streaming of classes. It's time to educate them in the reality of life off campus or immediately around campus. If they simply offer live streaming as the only option, they are doing you a disservice. 

While the the thumb drive or DVD solution may work for some via SneakerNet if a commuter, it does little for those who may have been sent home out of state and would have to wait for those classes via snail mail but is better than nothing. Emailing as attachments could work in some cases but suffers the same limitations due to data caps as well as limits on attachment sizes or mail box sizes.

Probably the best option would be for those educators to make them available as downloads from the university's or colleges web site or even shared public repositories. If you've got a liberty plan with free zone that could work. Again problematic for those on limited services but at least the option exists to run down to a local library, McDonald's or any other place having free wifi and download them to a laptop or smart phone. Yes those facilities are probably closed but their wifi remains available from the parking lots. That's the case for the libraries in my area closed, but wifi is usable from the parking lot - something I got used to doing long before this. 

P.S. If your educators wont do this and only offer live streaming get one of your classmates who isn't hobbled by satellite to capture the live stream (there are any number of laptop/desktop capture applications to do that). They put on thumb drive or upload to Google drive or the like where you download over somebody's free wifi or somebody's more robust ISP (neighbor, relative, friend). I just let my neighbor's kid use most of the 3GB I've got left since it's turning into a pumpkin at midnight anyway.

You'll probably get better information regarding Viasat's plans over at

https://www.facebook.com/Viasat/

It's burning up over there in the comments.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
You have to love those repeated ambiguous comments by the Viasat staff on facebook. I think customers need to be told the cold hard truth and not a bunch of meaningless fluff.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
But it is what fakebook is good for.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
And those commenting aren't buying it. Unfortunately those comments are spread out over different posts with this one the most active:

https://bit.ly/3biC1oN

hours of fun reading and expanding comments. Robin should go and join in the fun -he'd have a bigger audience.

My sympathies to the moderators. Undoubtedly handling a viasatlistens backlog.   
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
My sympathies to the moderators. Undoubtedly handling a viasatlistens backlog.

It really must suck being on the front lines dealing with customers unhappy with company policies that they have no control over. They don't make the decisions but take all the heat.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Agreed. They are doing a thankless job.

Of course marketing pushes it. Then let support deal with it.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 406 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
All universities have course development departments that are required to insure that the course meets the objectives as outlined in the schools course list of programs etc.  They also develop courses from information provided by the instructor and the course catalogue.  They do this by using their knowledge of these tools as to which would be most appropriate.  Most of the time there is some consideration for bandwidth requirements (not all the time)  They are charged with insuring standardization of courses for accreditation.

Lectures can be very effective, however i suspect some of the courses that you are taking may not have been available on line nor is their time to assess them and develop them to finish a semester.

In this case, if common sense prevails, reach out to the instructor and explain your situation.  I would request that he provide appropriate notes via pdf or word files and provide links to other sites to reinforce or further explain the concepts etc.

The pdf files, word files, powerpoint (as long as there are no embedded videos) Excel files etc. are not very large files and while he may not have notes for each class for distribution, it is something he should prepare and provide.

Even though most of these "live stream lectures" are recorded and saved so that they can be accessed any time during the day or night, (flexibility is part of the beauty of on line courses) it may not be the most effective way of communicating on line, due to technological challenges the students face using the software of this environment while trying to develop an understanding of the course functional material.

Many states have ordered a "lock down" so using a local wifi spot may not be an option. 

He can provide his notes in a small file, provide links to view other references, and if necessary compress files that you can download and extract.  All of which your V plan should support.

In the meantime the universities course development department can construct a course suitable for on line learning.

Good luck, remember you and the professor were blindsided, so all the above seems reasonable.

(Edited)