Worried about ports

• Question
  • Updated 4 days ago
  • Answered
I do a wifi scan and there is another product from viasat connected to my router. I cant get an answer what it is and it has two open ports 22 and 5060. I have had issues. I was hacked and now things are messed up. Any way to find out what it is or to close those ports?
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 days ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2256 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Hi Laura,  Please do a release and renew of your IP address. If you are not aware of how to do this, please call Customer Care at 855.463.9333. You can also send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com for written instructions and include your account and contact information.

QWhat is the Viasat product?
Have you rebooted your modem and changed your WiFi password?   This is critical to do if you were hacked.
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have yet to get an answer from anyone on what it is. I have the router/modem all in one. The MAC address is just one number off from that. I have changed the password and rebooted. I will do a release and renew. Thank you.
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did a release and renew. It showed a 192.168. Ip on my phone, but if I Google my IP it show 184.62.xxx.xx as a public IP. I am not using a vpn when I do this. Says I am clear across the us from where I am.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3577 Posts
  • 2091 Reply Likes
That would be correct. Because you are using satellite, your location is going to reflect where your gateway is.
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3577 Posts
  • 2091 Reply Likes
Why do you think you were hacked?
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had used 194 GB of data, is what got me digging. I live on a resort up in the mountains and we only have one option for internet. I did a wifi scan and saw a few things that's should not have been there. I went down to work a few yards away, and when I was connected to the lodges wifi dis a scan. The same MAC address that were on my wifi were the routers at the lodge. We have one IT guy and he is the one that set up us to be able to have internet with two install guys. I blocked the mac address, and confronted him and all I got was a yeah someone is watching what your doing. My PC I have two key boards 2 nice and such, and cant access a lot of files. Pretty sure there is a ghost drive. That's the short version.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3577 Posts
  • 2091 Reply Likes
Okay. Will hopefully you are back to normal. Best of luck to you.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
>192.168. I

Typical address assigned by a router/Wifi setup

>IP it show 184.62.xxx.xx as a public IP.

This is a dynamic IP address that Viasat assigns to its Modem/WiFi...without it, there would be no internet access.

I assume one is on Viasat-2 satellite, but if someone else configured your setup, I would do a master reset.

how to do a factory reset on my modem

Which modem do you have?
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
WiFi Gategay. After I found the unknowns on my wifi, I did do a master reset then went in and changed the password.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 211 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
the other device is the integrated VOIP ATA for the viasat voice service. or are you talking about unknown wifi users?
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you!!! No one was able to answer that for me!! As long as I know that's legit, that eases my mind. I have managed to block the unknowns. So far so good. Thank you everyone for your help!!
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 211 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
putting your modem in bridge mode seems to prevent the viasat voip device from getting a routable ip. If you are super worried about security you should have your own firewall and not rely on the viasat modem. it would seem that sat ip blocks are prime targets for scanning and hack attempts. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: ports 22 and 5060

Without port access, there would be no internet access....if your cellphone was using WiFi, it will use various ports.  Not sure what scanning program was used....if there is a video download device (Smartphone, DirecTV, Dish, etc., etc), they can gobble up your data, especially if HD video is downloaded.

There is nothing wrong with these ports in use

22 - Secure Shell (SSH),[10] secure logins, file transfers (scp, sftp) and port forwarding

5060 - Session Initiation Protocol  -  is a signaling protocol used for initiating, maintaining, and terminating real-time sessions that include voice, video and messaging applications.[1] SIP is used for signaling and controlling multimedia communication sessions in applications of Internet telephony for voice and video calls, in private IP telephone systems, in instant messaging over Internet Protocol (IP) networks as well as mobile phone calling over LTE (VoLTE).

Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Now its showing as disconnected..
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I will put my router in bridge mode.. thank you
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
FWIW:

How much data does Smart TV use?

The short version is that it depends on the quality of the content you're streaming. From their Help page: “Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.”Jan 24, 2017

Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, I went to bridge mode, then didn't have internet. Had to factory reset router, went in and changed password and such, now it says my ISP is Digital Ocean. And I have a BSSID which I never noticed before... and in the other picture I was connected to router.viasat.com now it shows different. ..
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3581 Posts
  • 2092 Reply Likes
What are you asking? Are you saying when in bridge mode connecting to another router you didnt have internet.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2819 Posts
  • 1780 Reply Likes
Laura, when in the bridge mode, only one of the two Ethernet ports is active. Did you try switching ports?
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No I didn't.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 211 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
only the top prot #1 is the active port in bridge mode. wireless and nat will be turned off.