Wont install

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
I ordered service and told them i live in a fifth wheel they send person to do install and she says its policy of viasat that she cant hook my service up because i have the tires on my trailer !!!! And of course they took my install payment before install was made so now getting my 50 back has turned into a big hassle and i still wont have internet because of my location my options are limited
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • pissed

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Chris Ketchum

Chris Ketchum

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Well, I live in a camper. The wheels are still on it, but it's under a roof. The 160 acres next to me were just clearcut, but the installer chose to put the dish 4 feet from the camper hitch... Aka front yard. I had someone meet him there because I was unable to. So, yes I know they could have installed yours. FYI: If they ever come back to pick up this dish, it's gonna look like a giant sunflower.
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Wonder why this lady wouldnt install mine ?? Im permanant here have been for over 5 yrs and it shoudnt matter anyone can load the equipment and dish and hit the road dont need a camper to do that
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 829 Posts
  • 533 Reply Likes
You cant really load the equipment and dish. But if you have bern permanent for 5 years, I would think Viasat can work it out for you to get the install done.
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
You: I live in a fifth wheel will that matter
You: Yes that's what I was looking into
Fabian: Let's go ahead and get you qualified. May I have your first and last name, best contact number, alternate phone number, and an email. With phone numbers you have to put dash in like 123-456-7890
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
There is my saved chat i asked if it mattered then he went on to get me hooked up
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 829 Posts
  • 533 Reply Likes
Just email viasatlistens@viasat.com and have them look into the situation.

And does anybody believe a sales agent really has the name of Fabian :).
Photo of Mickey Sawn

Mickey Sawn

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Malinda Scott, you dodged a bullet!! Do not set up with them, they charge extremely way to much and more then half the time their service doesn't work!!! I regret dealing with them and they always want to blame the customer for the problems not their service. If you haven't set up DON'T!!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 865 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
Do you travel then with the fifth wheel or it is stationary? You would have to unhook it then every time you travel, which isnt good because it causes wear and tear on the connectors over time
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 264 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
What $50 do you refer to?
There is no preinstall charge

There is a brief $60 charge that immediately goes back on card, as a way to validate card info is entered correctly.

If your trailer was in an RV park there would need to be permission from park & a utility marking service would be necessary pre installation to safely dig a pole mount
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Well they took 50 anf put the 60 hold but gave the 60 back next day not the 50 install
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 264 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Viasat does not charge an install fee, period.

I suspect there are some missing pieces to this story...
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 353 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Really Bob, try putting in Zip code 22554 on the Viasat website and read the fine print that says: Note One-time standard installation fee of $150 will be charged at the time of sale. Do me a favor and do some research before pimping Viasat. Viasat changes pricing and plans every time the wind blows a different direction in Central Va.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
Yep.  It appears that even the install fee, or whether there is one, varies from location to location.  THAT I wouldn't have expected.  I can see differences in the service available, but different install fees, or lack thereof?  How weird. 

One's credit may play a part, as well.  So, it appears that the installation isn't always free.  
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 865 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
To quote Stephen, Viasat doesn't make any sense anymore.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 264 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Will Seemore Thanks for the correction
Sorry for bad advice.

That is a new development I was not aware of
Wish it was the first time I discovered there was a change in long term policy...
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 353 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
I could understand a difference in install fees if techs were paid more for traveling to remote areas, but they aren't. The handful of techs I had visit said they were paid the same flat fee regardless of the job site. The last tech I had before I threw in the towel said his two stops that day were 80 miles apart. I don't think the techs are manged well or properly vetted. I had one guy show up in a utility bed pickup packed with tools, on the flip side one of them had tools in his briefcase, a compact car and brought his girlfriend along. He didn't even bring a ladder.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 865 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
Bob... you have my sympathy.

A lot of changes recently for certain zip codes. We will sell you internet, but overcharge you for it. I mean anybody that researches satellite internet in my area, not sure why anyone would get Viasat based on the latest plans and prices offered.

For instance, a new Viasat customer at my location would have to pay $150 up front for installation, then north of $200/month for "up to" 12Mbps of 65GB priority data. Does that sound enticing to a new customer?
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 353 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Viasat is just looking for the tipping point, they just keep jacking up fees and monthly charges to see what the market in every specific area will tolerate.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 865 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
Sounds about right. I wouldn't want to be in charge of their residential internet right now. Might have a lot of explaining to do in the coming months.
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
If people would open a complaint with Better Business Bureau im sure after so many of them things would change reak quick as they dont want you to open a complaint until you make contacr with them first .....its a simple online option to open a complaint unsatisfied customers need to do it
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
If people would open a complaint with Better Business Bureau im sure after so many of them things would change reak quick as they dont want you to open a complaint until you make contacr with them first .....its a simple online option to open a complaint unsatisfied customers need to do it
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
In reality, for the most part, the Bureau is a waste of time.  It's not a government entity, and all it does is act as a go between for customers having issues.  It also cuts the customer off from getting any direct help concerning the issue complained about during the 30 days that it takes for the bureau to deal with the company.  And, often times, in the end, the result is no different.  
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I live on private land and my camper has been here for over 5 yrs same place i dont go anywhere the install person says she cant install threw viasat or she dont get paid .....and they charged me 50 install fee and the 60 hold fee which was returned but not the 50 install
Photo of Mickey Sawn

Mickey Sawn

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Read up on the consumer protection law, recite it to them and tell them if they don't get your money back to you it will cost them $1,000 violation for each law they broke. Bait n switch would be one.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 353 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
I think the issue with the wheels is with satellite internet dish pointing is very critical. They don't want you moving even a little and then blowing a gasket when your service stops working.
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
They can mount to a metal pole
Photo of SamZzz

SamZzz

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yep! This ^
When we were having a new home built we moved from a single wide trailer into a 32 foot 5th wheel camper. We had DishNet at the time, and they came out and moved our dish and popped up a metal pole next to the camper. Never said a word about it being "movable" or "on wheels" (which it most certainly was).  We even told them it was only going to be there for a few months and then we'd have them back out to mount it to the new home. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 865 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
But if the dish is mounted in the ground, it doesn't matter.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2381 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Miranda,  Please send an email to viasatlistes@viasat.com with the account number assigned and the phone number associated with the account.  If you were not installed, we will refund the install fee.  
Photo of Malinda Scott

Malinda Scott

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
And my name is malinda not maranda but thanks
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2381 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Malinda I am so sorry  mistyping your name.