Windows 10 version 1607 - Anniversary edition

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
The Windows 10 update was pushed to my PC - a 5GB update.  Anyone with Windows 10, keep this in mind if you see a huge spike. This was for 1 device.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3965 Reply Likes
Was that intentional or "automagic"? Specifically did you request it or was it automatically downloaded despite being on, let's say a metered connection?  
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Oh, well, since I am on Liberty, I didn't think it mattered if the metered connection setting was on. The download happened on it's own.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3965 Reply Likes
At the very least, setting it as metered would allow you to preserve priority data and defer updates until you hit the Liberty Pass wall (at which point it wouldn't matter much). 

P.S. Microsoft will be rolling out the Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade through November for others who might want to avoid an unexpected data hit.    
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Yes, I changed it to metered earlier this morning hoping it might give me a little more control.
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 82 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
I got my upgrade yesterday, I was at my sister's house and used her cable internet to get the upgrade. Things seem to be working good so far, but they sure did move the furniture around, some things aren't that easy to find, but I will get used to it in time. I have been up against other challenged in my life, this one is just a minor inconvenience.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3121 Posts
  • 1100 Reply Likes
Windows 10 has been a pain. Good to know the impact though to give others a head's up.
Photo of Laurie Wise

Laurie Wise

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am a 10 year WildBlue customer with a 10 gig value package (7 down/3 Up with a rolling FAP...fortunately). Before the update, I was in the low 80%, After the update, to 109%.  So was "throttled" until the FAP slowly drops down to, normally, accessible internet speeds. Ok, a big update and thought I could "live" with it until the FAP rolled down.   Not this time....It has been three weeks since that update and finally down to below 75% and still dropping.  BUT it still acts like I am being throttled when trying to go to webpages for online work or browsing.   I don't use YouTube, no streaming, and play older offline games....no MMO et.c.  Some text rich webpages will show up quickly.  Some forums will too but not all.  I have customers who contact through Facebook and can't access that!

I have a Dell XPS 8900 i7 with 2 terabyte HD with 16 gig RAM and a decent Nividia card....bought it new with Win 10 Home installed in November 2015. The version it came with ran everything just fine with my connection...But I can't roll back to a restore point prior to the 1607 AU version since Microsoft changed their 30 day option down to 10 day.  

I have looked everywhere I could possibly read. Or the 1607 allowed me to go to (like this forum) without the little circle spinning as if I was on worse than dialup.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3965 Reply Likes
Laurie,

I remember the old Wildblue 30 day rolling FAP. As I recall, speeds were only restored to normal once both the upload and download thresholds reached 70% individually and not cumulatively. But typically upload was never the problem, just download.

As you're probably aware, you'll only see a percentage drop when today's usage is less than that of 30 days ago (on the other hand you see a percentage increase if today's usage is greater than 30 days ago). Sounds like you've probably got another week or so of pain recovering from the large upgrade/update and having speed restored to normal.

In the meantime, ensure any of the settings you may have modified before the latest install are still effective. In particular the "metered connection" setting appears to resort to the default of off with the anniversary upgrade.

See:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/

and

http://merabheja.com/internet-data-usage-in-windows-10/

Between the two it covers most of the Windows 10 tips, but the first is more accurate and has been updated to account for the anniversary update change to "metered Wifi".